News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pity we didn't have a real coach like Lyon at the time.

Probably would have walked away with 3 flags...

If we'd been able to get a full side on the park we would have blown any one way with our heavy artillery. We were so unlucky ...we are so unlucky.

So here's a little project:

Imagine you are list manager at St Kilda right now. Your task is to build a list comparable with that of 2004.

Built solidly over many years, starting with Harvey and Jones from the 90s, the cheeky rookie pick Milne, the top 10 harvest of the turn of the century, and the intelligent trading of the same period. Say what you like about the Saints at that time, but we built a hell of a list. Bottom 10 of the 34 players according to average stats rating; Peckett, Montagna, S Fisher, Fergerson, L Fisher, Murray, Gram, Stone, R Clarke, Moyle

So, how would you start? Let's be realistic and say you can't ditch all our GOPs in the one go, it would take you a few seasons, and obviously we don't know who is coming up in future drafts, but anyway, have at it...

By the way, I guess you could say that 2004 was also when the list started turning to s**t, through poor recruiting and trading

Consider the difference between the 2004 and 2005 lists (list size increased by 2):

Out: Heath Black, Leigh Fisher, Trent Knobel, Brett Moyle,
In, Aaron Fiora, Barry Brooks, Cain Ackland, Mark McGough, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt

It continued to go sour the following year:

Out: Austinn Jones, Luke Penny, Matthew Ferguson, Nick Stone, Brent Guerra
In: Fergus Watts, Sam Gilbert, Michael Rix, Leigh Fisher

The worst of those outs were unavoidable, (though I have no idea why we let Guerra leave) but those ins... :sick: :sick: :sick:
thats all I can do, it gets worse as you all know, but I've already wasted enough heartache and energy on it already.

EDIT: So in essence, our list management in the mid noughties with GT in possession of this well balanced work of art was probably hobbled by retirements and injuries to our better players, the poor quality of the drafts, and perhaps GT's disrespect for the art of the Ruckman. We traded poorly with Black/Fiora and Knobel and recruited poorly with McQualter Ackland Brooks Watts and Rix. Bah.

Last edited:
By the way, I guess you could say that 2004 was also when the list started turning to s**t, through poor recruiting and trading

Consider the difference between the 2004 and 2005 lists (list size increased by 2):

In, Aaron Fiora, Barry Brooks, Cain Ackland, Mark McGough, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt

The worst of those outs were unavoidable, (though I have no idea why we let Guerra leave) but those ins... :sick: :sick: :sick:
thats all I can do, it gets worse as you all know, but I've already wasted enough heartache and energy on it already.

EDIT: So in essence, our list management in the mid noughties with GT in possession of this well balanced work of art was probably hobbled by retirements and injuries to our better players, the poor quality of the drafts, and perhaps GT's disrespect for the art of the Ruckman. We traded poorly with Black/Fiora and Knobel and recruited poorly with McQualter Ackland Brooks Watts and Rix. Bah.
Whatever... It's still Richo's fault no matter how you spin it.

What do you attribute the final quarter performance in QF 05 to?

The momentum seemed to really switch with Hall's hit on Goose. Sometimes you can just unravel and I think we started to get ahead of ourselves.

Richardson urges Saints to lift

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson has demanded his players follow the lead of Jack Steele and lift after a horror opening term led to a 39-point loss to North Melbourne on Sunday.

Steele had a club record 18 tackles in the loss and Richardson said internal statistics recorded over 100 "pressure points" from Steele in a game where the Saints trailed by 40 points at quarter time.

Steely determination: St Kilda midfielder Jack Steele broke a club record for tackles in loss to North Melbourne.
Those tackles are a record for our footy club," Richardson said.
"He copped a bit of attention off the ball and kept going. He's made of the right stuff but he needs a few more of his mates to come along with him."

GT couldn't stand Guerra. Bundy brought him in. GT arseholed him. Big mistake, methinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Herald Sun have a new podcast series called Sacked. About sacked coaches. Looks like Watters will be one interviewed. Interesting to see what he has to say
Would be nice for the truth on that one to come out. It'll explain why the pay out was so high

Back to better days...

George....do you want me to start crying....lol.

It's a great game.....but hard for me to watch.....the final result for that season still burns inside me.

It sucked that we got forced into that three way with Richmond and West Coast. I wish they could have got Troy Simmonds to come to us directly.
Leigh Fisher was still playing for us in 2008.
McQualter was actually one of the better picks taken from a crap draft after pick 7, and hard to complain about Gwilt as a late pick. I miss his good disposal.

Matthew Fergason was no loss, Rix was only ever meant to be a backup ruck. ( no worse than Longer in hind sight ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back