News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tend to agree, provided we keep playing the way we have been. On top of that:

- Scott is looking less appealing every week that North play well
- Teague just 'beat' Lyon not two days ago -- sure it's just one game but if I had to pick my preferred coach on the basis of that performance I know who it would be
- Clarkson has ruled himself out
- Longmire seems likely to either stay at the Swans or go to North

Who's left? Ratten, Voss, or a left-field option like Noble. Maybe Shaw if he doesn't get the gig at North.

If we get a few more wins and consistently play well each week for the rest of the year, it's going to take a lot of courage from the club to put that at risk by saying no thanks to Teague. But if we fall away, that might open the door to a Ratten or a Noble.

Good points.

Not interested in any of those 'experienced' coaches except Clarkson.

In our game vs Freo, i didn't notice any amazing player moves or game style changes from Lyon to help turn the game in Freo's favour...whereas we've seen Teague change things up mid-game numerous times already in 3 games with good success.

I've seen numerous rumours of Voss with Roos...why would we want Voss? Since being sacked by Brisbane he's been assistant coach at Port who are a middling team struggling to make finals.

As for untried coaches, there would be some we aren't thinking of that could be suitable. I remember when guys like Beverage, Fagan and Simpson got their jobs a lot of the public didn't really know their coaching pedigree or think they'd be a chance. Same with Clarkson himself all those years ago.

But yeah if Teague continues as he is, he has the leg up on any other untried coaches since we already get a look at him as head coach, he already has relationships with the players and staff etc...it would really suck to go with a different untried coach and struggle, while seeing another club poach Teague and be successful. That would really hurt and be an embarrassment for the club.

See this is why I didn’t fully get Bolton’s coaching.

Yes he was playing he long game but was
often quoted as saying we are a club in a hurry.

Trying to push kids into roles they weren’t ready for is basically calling the AFL side a development team.

Playing Ed in a pocket and Murphy on a wing was just silly. Old dogs don’t learn new tricks...

Sure play the kids but play the adults too...

Teague has got the balance absolutely perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree completely.

Under Bolton guys like Fisher/SPS/Dow were our main guys in the guts alongside Cripps. Murphy and Ed were resigned to outer roles and bit part players.
Under Teague Murphy looks like his old, dominating mid again and Ed has also elevated his game in the thick of it.

Guys like Fish & Dow looked sore constantly getting bashed at stoppages...i think it's smart that Teague has moved them out of there for now at least.
They are still developing anyway, learning different roles etc. Also i'd argue the fact everyone is happier and we're winning is the best development of all for the kids.

Also the kids feed off and learn from the senior players...not great if the senior players are feeling alienated and like they're being pushed out. We pretty much know as fact Simmo and Daisy were not happy. Murphy and Ed probably weren't either but better at hiding it. Happy senior players playing really good footy flows onto the kids.

That image is the best thing I have seen this season. That is a new Carlton without any shadow of doubt.
And by crikey Setters is almost a ruckman or on Gibbos shoulders.
a rising tide lifts all boats...........

Teague is just letting them play. I doubt this is the way he would coach them if he had the full time job. This is why caretaker coaches get so much credit when they get wins. Most of the time they just let the players prove themself and back them in. We have been lucky to come back from behind in our wins in 2 of the past three games but the thought on teague would be much different if we never came back in those games

But we did come back.

Saying our opinions of him would be different if we didn't come back in those games is, well, not a very good argument. Because we did.
If we got smashed in these 3 games under Teague yes our thoughts on him would be different, as would it be if we had won by huge margins in all 3 games...

But we did come back.

Saying our opinions of him would be different if we didn't come back in those games is, well, not a very good argument. Because we did.
If we got smashed in these 3 games under Teague yes our thoughts on him would be different, as would it be if we had won by huge margins in all 3 games...
Yes this is the whole point. You judge on the evidence not the what if or could have or maybe not scaredy cat negative thoughts that creep in.
Teague is 3 points off three wins. Theres a positive what if.
If a team wins the grand final by a point they celebrate not sit around saying oh dearie me we nearly lost.

Last edited:
Yes this is the whole point. You judge on the evidence not the what if or could have or maybe not scaredy cat negative thoughts thet creep in.
If a team wins the grand final by a point they celebrate not sit around saying oh dearie me we nearly lost.

To put this into perspective i think WC were down about 5 goals in the Grand Final vs Collingwood but won.

Above posters logic is 'oh but what if we didn't make a comeback then we would have got smashed'...nek minit WC sack premiership winning coach.

Yes this is the whole point. You judge on the evidence not the what if or could have or maybe not scaredy cat negative thoughts that creep in.
'Oh dearie me' is a greatly under utilised expression.:D

bolton's coaching the long game was always going to test, push and ultimately break the nerve of stakeholders - just as a government will always struggle to propose, sell and implement any big infrastructure policy that runs longer than a term of government - it leads to a short-sighted, short-term mentality - bolts fell on his sword the moment he played the long suit and we should thank him all the way to 17.........huge professional sacrifice by the man.......

Yep.

I look at the teams he picked and the players/positions he went with right up until his sacking. People might not agree with them - I certainly didn't agree with all of them. But his choices made it very clear that he wasn't just trying to save his own coaching career, like most would in that situation.

Deep respect for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

n our game vs Freo, i didn't notice any amazing player moves or game style changes from Lyon to help turn the game in Freo's favour...whereas we've seen Teague change things up mid-game numerous times already in 3 games with good success.

In relation to this, Clarkson isn't much of a tinkerer mid game, he like Ross, is all about system, execute the game plan over and over better than the other teams and the rest will take care of itself. He has mentioned this many times, so im not sure using our game against Freo is a great example.

I did like Teagues moves though and its good to see some changes making a difference again.

So everyone’s saying Teague is just letting the boys play with a little freedom and that’s why we’ve been winning and he wouldn’t be doing that if he was a full time coach. FMD, let them play like that for the next 120 games and we might just jag a flag or two.
Exactly. Why is there this burning desire to think coaching is some mystical art form that, permanently, if you do what you're doing in a temp role the world will collapse. Teague is getting results, instilled belief and freedom in kids bereft of it and we are winning on the back of it. What can a dour old P**** add to any of this (that seems to sum all those being put forward) Take thus far what Teague is doing any day of the week.

Brendan Bolton never played AFL and thus didn't have the respect of the players. In addition, Brendan Bolton was way to rehearsed. Nothing came naturally and it was kind of fake.

His methods were not organic and didn't come from the heart. He had loss the players.

Teague is different given that everything he does seems organic and not rehearsed like Bolton was.

Quick, someone better go warn Brisbane that they're going down the wrong path with Fagan!

But we did come back.

we have come back in plenty of games over the past 3 years......we have been so close this season in games it hurts.

That’s not exactly true, Jack Worrall had a fine football career playing for Fitzroy in the VFA during the 1880’s and early 1890’s (retiring from playing football in 1893) when that was the highest level of football you could play before the formation of the VFL in 1897.
still didn't play VFL

The massive unknown is how much of our improvement is due to the shackles being released with the coaching change and how much is Teague being good at the job. Monitor over the next 2 months.
I think this 'new coach high' is overrated.

after pagan got sacked rattan rook over and went 0-6 down the stretch
after matlhouse got sacked barker took over and went 3-10 with 5 losses by 50+points

apart from shaw, the most recent evidence of the 'new coach high' was matthew primus who went 5-2 as a caretaker in 2010. but port adelaide were 5-2 after the first seven games that year under the previous coach so they weren't a total basket case.

i think what we're seeing from shaw and teague at the moment is simply 2 coaches who understand better than their predecessors how to best utilize the players they have as their disposal.

I think this 'new coach high' is overrated.

after pagan got sacked rattan rook over and went 0-6 down the stretch
after matlhouse got sacked barker took over and went 3-10 with 5 losses by 50+points

apart from shaw, the most recent evidence of the 'new coach high' was matthew primus who went 5-2 as a caretaker in 2010. but port adelaide were 5-2 after the first seven games that year under the previous coach so they weren't a total basket case.

i think what we're seeing from shaw and teague at the moment is simply 2 coaches who understand better than their predecessors how to best utilize the players they have as their disposal.

I hope that is the case with Teague. There have been plenty of examples across numerous sports of the new coach magic early before wearing off. I remember Craig speaking to Bolton about not expecting to just "sprinkle fairy dust" after an initial 4 or 5 game period came to a grinding halt in his first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back