Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Lefty's have always been the best kicks timing, distance and accuracy wise in my experience.
No longer thinking Mabs is an athlete learning the game. The kick looks like something he was born with.
CHF yeah. Get the combo right with Lynch, Jack and who knows.
Well if he stays in when JR comes back. Then we Lynch Marbs and JR who are all lovely kicks.

Well if he stays in when JR comes back. Then we Lynch Marbs and JR who are all lovely kicks.

I am having a look at Chol because I would like to see him stay in the 22 if possible and see how far he can develop without compromising the team current performance as his confidence and belief rises.

To me his footy IQ has improved significantly especially as he reads the ball aerially. I did some research and has good speed as well as his leap. I think because of what he brings there is a lot of upside for him potentially which can help the team.

In terms of footy IQ he is ahead of Balta in terms of reading the game I think, especially aerially, and he has a more precise kick. I agree with a lot I heard on the latest RFC big footy Tigercast regarding Chol and Balta. His hands, while not necessarily strong are sticky enough at the moment. Chol also displayed poise and composure. What I liked with ball in hand behind the mark he stopped and started in a controlled manner, with sufficient confidence, did not get anxious showed composure before finding the target which suggests to me he could be good under pressure with a good head on his shoulders in terms of not losing the plot.

I am just thinking role wise what is most suitable for Chol especially in terms of long term contribution. I am thinking long term can we get his endurance up and get him on a ring swingman role like a Westhoff? I do not mind him with doing that with Ellis as a running mate covering similar space but different roles with McIntosh on the other wing. In link play we lack marking across the ground just because of the number of shortish players we have. Chol across the ground with his mobility, speed, height and leap really helps counteract that, assist in defence and be a target forward at times even drifting in from the side. Unlike Majak Daw, who Chol said he was getting inspired from recently, I think Chol is a slightly different player type than Daw and needs to up his endurance rather than more power to be even more effective individually and for the team. If Chol did this he could play in the team easily, even with JR and Lynch in probably forward, with Chol up the ground at a starting point. What Chol offers is a real tap option as a second ruck but I am not sure he really will be a sole ruck. I think Chol could be a hell of a ruck/wing/forward/back hybrid that actually has enough tools to be very effective and not just jack of all master of none!! So Nank could come in with Chol second ruck

So I really would like Chol being persisted with because the growth he could experience and the team benefiting from this through his improved belief/confidence and synergy with first team synergies/setups/methods/plays etc.. could be quite substantial for player and the RFC team!!!!

Last edited:
I am having a look at Chol because I would like to see him stay in the 22 if possible and see how far he can develop without compromising the team current performance as his confidence and belief rises.

To me his footy IQ has improved significantly especially as he reads the ball aerially. I did some research and has good speed as well as his leap. I think because of what he brings there is a lot of upside for him potentially which can help the team.

In terms of footy IQ he is ahead of Balta in terms of reading the game I think, especially aerially, and he has a more precise kick. I agree with a lot I heard on the latest RFC big footy Tigercast regarding Chol and Balta. His hands, while not necessarily strong are sticky enough at the moment. Chol also displayed poise and composure. What I liked with ball in hand behind the mark he stopped and started in a controlled manner, with sufficient confidence, did not get anxious showed composure before finding the target which suggests to me he could be good under pressure with a good head on his shoulders in terms of not losing the plot.

I am just thinking role wise what is most suitable for Chol especially in terms of long term contribution. I am thinking long term can we get his endurance up and get him on a ring swingman role like a Westhoff? I do not mind him with doing that with Ellis as a running mate covering similar space but different roles with McIntosh on the other wing. In link play we lack marking across the ground just because of the number of shortish players we have. Chol across the ground with his mobility, speed, height and leap really helps counteract that, assist in defence and be a target forward at times even drifting in from the side. Unlike Majak Daw, who Chol said he was getting inspired from recently, I think Chol is a slightly different player type than Daw and needs to up his endurance rather than more power to be even more effective individually and for the team. If Chol did this he could play in the team easily, even with JR and Lynch in probably forward, with Chol up the ground at a starting point. What Chol offers is a real tap option as a second ruck but I am not sure he really will be a sole ruck. I think Chol could be a hell of a ruck/wing/forward/back hybrid that actually has enough tools to be very effective and not just jack of all master of none!! So Nank could come in with Chol second ruck

So I really would like Chol being persisted with because the growth he could experience and the team benefiting from this through his improved belief/confidence and synergy with first team synergies/setups/methods/plays etc.. could be quite substantial for player and the RFC team!!!!
Chol could end up down back as Rance's replacement...

Chol could end up down back as Rance's replacement...

He is too slight, I think, to be a permanent key back or forward and I do not think adding a lot of mass will help his competitiveness including ruck which really comes from his leap and mobility

I was looking at Richo talk to Maric on coaches corner earlier about Chol. Looking at the vision. I think for him, and the team, it would be better for him to play a Richo type role as a mid/wing who can play ruck and aerially compete forward and back as a floating swingman.

What impressed me is his IQ in recent games, decision making for someone with such athletic talents. His strengths are his leap, speed and mobility so he should not be trying to compromise that with too much weight which can increase the chance of injury to him as well. His success appears to largely come from his mobility and leap apart from his skill so putting on extra weight could only hinder him especially in contrast if he added increased endurance I think!! For example no matter how big he was his leap, height, speed and mobility ensures he can compete in ruck contests as well as for marks/spoils

I think he could become and incredible mid hybrid that goes forward/back and assists in ruck which would mean he needs up his endurance to increase his effectiveness. The key would be for him to move and present as a marking target and link up with our mids on transition as well as ruck support I think. Assistance aerially down back as well as forward in certain circumstances would be a bonus however when the game slows Chol has the opportunity to present back and forward to help as a contested option aerially or even in space(fat side) up forward depending on where the mass of players are congregating around the ball.

So for example at the bounce start Ellis on wing and Chol as a very high half forward/forward flank and depending on where the ball goes he can drift up the ground providing a marking option to support the mids/defence as an outlet, he could drift to the backline help them as well as marking support for a forward line including JR and Lynch while helping in ruck to. In fact if Chol was in the vicinity Nank could have a breather and let Chol compete for the tap renewing Nanks energy for efforts elsewhere.

I think going forward Chol and Balta could also both play as well once Balta ups his footy IQ but I think Balta maybe more forward orientated

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a pretty sweet gig on the weekend, without a direct opponent and didn’t really have the responsability.
I would like to see how he competes when someone is trying to give him a sh.t day on the field or trying to bully him.
But having said that he’s got great balance and movement alot more than Alir and Mojak I think.
He’d have to have a little bit of confidence with that hairdo.
Confidence+Balance+Creativity at 200cm would be pretty bloody good.

He had a pretty sweet gig on the weekend, without a direct opponent and didn’t really have the responsability.
I would like to see how he competes when someone is trying to give him a sh.t day on the field or trying to bully him.
But having said that he’s got great balance and movement alot more than Alir and Mojak I think.
He’d have to have a little bit of confidence with that hairdo.
Confidence+Balance+Creativity at 200cm would be pretty bloody good.
Same here... :thumbsu:

Same here... :thumbsu:

I find this potential problem interesting.

He is playing in the AFL with cameras everywhere. If he was going to cop s**t he would have already copped it already off camera.

Apart from teammates helping him out if an opposition player wants to go nasty is Chol has not set the world on fire yet. He has played a couple or one handy games so I cannot see the opposition singling him out yet.

Having said that, given his background, I would believe he has been through some crap going down in the past and probably can compartmentalise the relative issues compared to other problems and not lose the plot over someone trying to dig him.

Having posted that, I would have thought Chol outcompetes due to match up issues. So whoever is trying to bully him they will not have his mobility or speed. He would not be in the ruck all the time anyway and Grigg survived.

With his hairstyle clearly he is used to being different so I can't see that perception bothering him and if he ups his endurance bigger types will not be able to go with him anyway and if they do well at least Chol is taking away from the oppositions game so clearly he must be effective to warrant that type of attention.

So I cannot see Chol having someone trying to have his feathers ruffled at AFL level an issue frankly and I would be surprised if it did bother him given how far he has come from where he has come!!

The way Chol would play given his skill set would be in his own space anyway and if someone was to tag him well that would play into our other players hands surely because they cannot tag everyone!! Chol could take a tagger forward and he out marks him due to height and leap possibly being a greater goal threat. Easier said than done, they could hardly tag every body and if a tagger frees up another player that could be good anyway. Even in our defence if the opposition is worrying about Chol instead of kicking goals against us that can only be a good thing for RFC!!

Last edited:
I find this potential problem interesting.

He is playing in the AFL with cameras everywhere. If he was going to cop s**t he would have already copped it already off camera.

Apart from teammates helping him out if an opposition player wants to go nasty is Chol has not set the world on fire yet. He has played a couple or one handy games so I cannot see the opposition singling him out yet.

Having said that given his background I would believe he has been through some crap going down in the past and probably can compartmentalise the relative issues compared to other problems and not lose the plot over someone trying to dig him.

Having posted that, I would have thought Chol outcompetes due to match up issues. So whoever is trying to bully him they will not have his mobility or speed. He would not be in the ruck all the time anyway and Grigg survived.

With his hairstyle clearly he is used to being different so I can't see that perception bothering him and if he ups his endurance bigger types will not be able to go with him anyway and if they do well at least Chol is taking away from the oppositions game so clearly he must be effective to warrant that type of attention.

So I cannot see Chol having someone trying to have his feathers ruffled at AFL level an issue frankly and I would be surprised if it did bother him given how far he has come from where he has come!!
If you can't see that obviously you have never played footy! :)

even thou Chol grabbed headlines with his performance last week , the GC will be want to give s**t to Lynch before Chol

maybe just the opposite , "hey QLD boy , how about you come home and play with us next year ? You'll always get a game " :)

If you can't see that obviously you have never played footy! :)

Well, I have played footy, and frankly that problem would have already been overcome by Chol unless the posters are talking about game long tagging.

Even then he has bound to have run into some sort of stopper by now as he has got to this level in some type of capacity within a game!!

What I was meaning was if he were to come up against Tarant and Thompson or Hawthorn as a forward or Ruck against Mumford.
Playing second Fwd or Backup Ruck in the VFL he might not have played against a high quality Defender or had an experienced player on him that tried to take his strengths away.

Well, I have played footy, and frankly that problem would have already been overcome by Chol unless the posters are talking about game long tagging.

Even then he has bound to have run into some sort of stopper by now as he has got to this level in some type of capacity within a game!!
OKkkkk...:rolleyes:;)

What I was meaning was if he were to come up against Tarant and Thompson or Hawthorn as a forward or Ruck against Mumford.
Playing second Fwd or Backup Ruck in the VFL he might not have played against a high quality Defender or had an experienced player on him that tried to take his strengths away.

Mumford is a different player. Chol is not a pure ruck, he is a mid/ruck/forward/back hybrid. He is not even a KPP. HE is like the third tall coming in from the side, the utility through the middle, on the wing playing a tall marking mid role in the guts on wing , forward and back

Chol would not ruck except for the fact he has the height and leap and can tap. He would be avoiding Mumford or jumping over him and then not see him again until another ruck contest like two ships passing in the night!! He might take marks in front of him, over the top of him, knocking the ball away but he would not be matched up on him the way I see it. This would be proactive football not reactive football

I do not see Chol replacing Lynch, JR, Astbury, Rance or Nank if thats what your suggesting. Chol is more your enhancement in positionless football to support the midfield, backs, forwards and ruck. For example RFC, versus a Collingwood and a Geelong could lack some marking strength though the middle do to the number of shorter players we have. Someone like Chol can help us through the midfield as a marking target and aerial presence elsewhere, chip in in ruck to improve our match up versus particular opposition set-ups

Last edited:
Mumford is a different player. Chol is not a pure ruck, he is a mid/ruck/forward/back hybrid. He is not even a KPP. HE is like the third tall coming in from the side, the utility through the middle, on the wing playing a tall marking mid role in the guts on wing , forward and back

Chol would not ruck except for the fact he has the height and leap and can tap. He would be avoiding Mumford or jumping over him and then not see him again until another ruck contest like two ships passing in the night!! He might take marks in front of him, over the top of him, knocking the ball away but he would not be matched up on him the way I see it. This would be proactive football not reactive football

I do not see Chol replacing Lynch, JR, Astbury, Rance or Nank if thats what your suggesting. Chol is more your enhancement in positionless football to support the midfield, backs, forwards and ruck. For example RFC, versus a Collingwood and a Geelong could lack some marking strength though the middle do to the number of shorter players we have. Someone like Chol can help us through the midfield as a marking target and aerial presence elsewhere, chip in in ruck to improve our match up versus particular opposition set-ups
You might be on to something there, it would mean a different team balance though Balta has been playing a bit of that I spose and we could potentially play three talls forward of the centre with Jack in the team.
The only thing and I might be wrong about him..Footy is a collision game, Balta and Lynch like a bit of that I dunno about Chol.

For me key is stay in games and involved for Chol not go missing back it up.I think he can play that second forward role and even roaming type Richo role to.

For me key is stay in games and involved for Chol not go missing back it up.I think he can play that second forward role and even roaming type Richo role to.

Yeah I would encourage Chol to go roaming up the ground, provide a avenue/marking target separate from the primary ruck whether Nank or Soldo.

There is no point CHol hanging up forward if the ball does not get there and no point compromising Lynch and the work of the other forward plus he would be just as handy assisting in defence aerially if he is in the vicinity and provide a chop out or a option for an exit kick. The more continuity he has the more he can synergise with the running patterns and ball movement. Ideally, if we have an issue in transition, instead of going back and forth a thousand times like Collingwood or over hand balling with run where its risky and a turnover can kill us we hopefully can get a relief kick to Chol in a bit of space or central where his height and leap gives us a margin opportunity to mark/hold the ball and reshape the attack while giving some of our running mids a momentary breather.

Presumably Nank/Soldo would be doing there ruck thing and the opposing ruck would be not far away so ideally Chol could separate away from that match up to to provide support in other areas and create the options and avenues. I think Chol could do this back middle and forward whereas when Balta is more polished he might be more forward half orientated where his raw pace and long kicking can create goals as well especially bursting into space

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back