The Manager Merry-go-Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reality I think Lamps would've done it with or without the transfer ban.

You’d like to hope so, but hopefully the regime weren’t planning to just demand instant success as they did by not utilising & holding faith with the younger De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku...

Even Sarri was either a dumb s**t or being told who to pick last season when Odoi & RLC were being overlooked by the likes of Kovacic & Barkley doing nothing

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Amazing it only took a major transfer ban for this to happen lol
Every cloud has a silver lining.

We got a taste in the season just gone with RLC, Christensen and to a lesser extent CHO stepping up. Looking forward to a few others grabbing squad spots and trying to make first 11 positions their own. Mount, James, Tammy, Ampadu etc we've got tge youf just need to trust them.

Going to be an interesting one with Lampard. In a way it's an ideal time for him to come in with a bit less expectation than before. But I don't think he'll get a totally free reign if results aren't coming in.

I don't think youf will have as big an impact under Lampard as Chelsea fans hope. RLC is probably the only one ready to step up to regular (weekin week out) first team football, and even he might not be good enough for where Chelsea want to be. CHO will get more tastes and that's all he needs at this stage. Can't see many others having a huge impact just yet.

And it might be better for the likes of Abraham, Mount, Tomori etc to play regularly on loan than the odd minutes every now and then.

You’d like to hope so, but hopefully the regime weren’t planning to just demand instant success as they did by not utilising & holding faith with the younger De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku...

Even Sarri was either a dumb s**t or being told who to pick last season when Odoi & RLC were being overlooked by the likes of Kovacic & Barkley doing nothing
Odoi was never competing with either of those players...
It was more Willian and Pedro for him - and he's not at a point where he was consistently going to be better than either.

RLC was a starter for basically the entire back half of the season - and before that dealt with injury.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Trying to figure out how I’d feel if Gerrard was given the reigns at Liverpool after 1 season managing Derby where he took them from 6th to 6th.

I can’t see how this doesn’t end in tears to be honest.

Trying to figure out how I’d feel if Gerrard was given the reigns at Liverpool after 1 season managing Derby where he took them from 6th to 6th.

I'm just as pleased with the staff coming with him to be honest.

I still think it's too early but at the same time who else is out there?

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I guess it depends on the scenario. How did you feel when Dalglish got the Liverpool job despite having not managed for over a decade?

For a lot of Chelsea fans it had stopped being fun, this is something fresh and potentially exciting. If I was a Chelsea fan I’d be worried but also looking forward to it.

I don't really think Chelsea will suffer all that much, they still have a good team, Hazard is gone but Pulisic has arrived, certainly still have attacking options and some quality kids.

You'd be giddy that a hometown hero had returned to the club, and anyone claiming otherwise is just looking to point score. Lampard was hugely impressive at Derby, and will bring a fresh energy and excitement to the club. When Barmby was briefly our manager in 2011/12, despite the annoyance with the context, it brought a huge breath of fresh air and excitement to have a club hero at the helm.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I guess it depends on the scenario. How did you feel when Dalglish got the Liverpool job despite having not managed for over a decade?

For a lot of Chelsea fans it had stopped being fun, this is something fresh and potentially exciting. If I was a Chelsea fan I’d be worried but also looking forward to it.

Not comparable in the slightest. Dalglish had 4 league titles and 600 games managerial experience under his belt.

Personally, I’d want the best candidate available appointed to manage my club. If that happens to be a former player then fantastic, the nostalgia would definitely add another layer of excitement.

Appointing a former player for the nostalgia and excitement factor alone seems naive to me. If it works out, great, but I’m not convinced Lampard is the best possible appointment Chelsea could’ve made, and I’m not convinced it’s the best move for Lampard himself at this embryonic stage of his career.

If it was Gerrard coming to Liverpool after 1 season of managerial experience in a second tier league where he kept his head above water but didn’t excel, I’d be extremely nervous for the club and for him, because I want to see both do well and I don’t have confidence that at this stage of his career it’d be the right move for him or for us.

Not comparable in the slightest. Dalglish had 4 league titles and 600 games managerial experience under his belt.

Personally, I’d want the best candidate available appointed to manage my club. If that happens to be a former player then fantastic, the nostalgia would definitely add another layer of excitement.

Appointing a former player for the nostalgia and excitement factor alone seems naive to me. If it works out, great, but I’m not convinced Lampard is the best possible appointment Chelsea could’ve made, and I’m not convinced it’s the best move for Lampard himself at this embryonic stage of his career.

If it was Gerrard coming to Liverpool after 1 season of managerial experience in a second tier league where he kept his head above water but didn’t excel, I’d be extremely nervous for the club and for him, because I want to see both do well and I don’t have confidence that at this stage of his career it’d be the right move for him or for us.

So you reckon United should be eyeing up a return for Alex Ferguson? Just because Dalglish had achieved that in the past was pretty meaningless in the context he came back.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
So you reckon United should be eyeing up a return for Alex Ferguson? Just because Dalglish had achieved that in the past was pretty meaningless in the context he came back.

If the choice was between appointing Alex Ferguson or Neville/Giggs/Scholes, it’d be a pretty straightforward decision.

I wouldn't reappoint SAF. Was very clear for at least his last two seasons he needed to reinvigorate the squad and he didn't. Saying that I wouldn't touch Scholes or Neville, Giggs at least has some runs on the board and I still believe should have been given the job instead of Ole if they wanted to go down that path.

If the choice was between appointing Alex Ferguson or Neville/Giggs/Scholes, it’d be a pretty straightforward decision.

In fact in appointing OGS haven't they already demonstrated they've taken the same route as Chelsea?

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

In the 80’s and 90’s. If anything Lampard makes more sense than Dalglish did because he’s actually active in the football world and football management.

Dalglish was not the best appointment at the time from a football point of view, but it’s what the fans needed in that moment. If we had a Hodgson situation right now and Gerrard came in and replaced him we’d all be just as ecstatic as we were when Kenny got the job. It had nothing to do with his CV.

If Klopp suddenly left Liverpool and Gerrard got the job I wouldn’t be happy. But that’s because it just would not make sense from either a football sense or an emotional one.

That’s why I said it depends on the scenario. For the position Chelsea are in right now, where they feel like the club is a bit lost and the fun has been sucked out of it, bringing back one of their greatest ever players as manager is bound to put a spring back in their step, what he has or hasn’t achieved as a manager doesn’t matter right now.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I wouldn't reappoint SAF. Was very clear for at least his last two seasons he needed to reinvigorate the squad and he didn't. Saying that I wouldn't touch Scholes or Neville, Giggs at least has some runs on the board and I still believe should have been given the job instead of Ole if they wanted to go down that path.

Yeah to be clear as one of the biggest clubs in the world I don’t think United should appoint any of them (Giggs and Solskjaer included), just saying with a gun to my head Ferguson would be the safest bet of the bunch.

Yeah to be clear as one of the biggest clubs in the world I don’t think United should appoint any of them (Giggs and Solskjaer included), just saying with a gun to my head Ferguson would be the safest bet of the bunch.

After going big and it not working I have no issues with trying something different this time around so we'll see what happens.

I'll say again though - what other candidates were available? About the best option was Blanc but he ruled himself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back