The Law Man who shared Christchurch shooting video on Facebook sentenced to 21 months in jail

Should sharing graphic content online be worth a prison sentence?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggest you research the history of Phillip Arps to determine if he was making a ‘joke’. This isn’t something turned into a video game, this is a racist with a history making this a proud moment for his white brotherhood who hate Muslims.

Clearly he is sharing it with like minded people. It only takes one unhinged type to consume this repeatedly to then turn it into an action. There’s lots of nuts out there.

So now we are putting people in prison because their opinion with which we disagree might stir up other people to also disagree with us and that might cause problems later?

Do you see why such things would scare people now when I say it like that? I'm looking for the clear threshold, but it hasn't been offered yet. Until that's done we aren't disagreeing on much here.

You're drawing comparisons to mythical people of a group you might think I'm going to be very quick to vilify to make the NZ guy's actions appear worse. The mythical guy is the one you're appealing to like a hero.

So the crime is a thought crime?
Mate I honestly don’t think you know what you’re talking about. There’s no ‘thought crime’. It’s real. Real distribution of people getting murdered by a right wing thug who deserves never to see the light of day again.

A video isn’t violent?!? Mate this video wasn’t Mary Poppins, it was real people getting shot and killed. It’s as real and violent as it gets! You know that thing called an R18+ rating? Well that’s for extreme content that is FICTIONAL. This goes beyond that. It’s content that is FACT!

I am sorry, but I am really glad our judges see things differently to you.

A video is not violent. The violent act was the shooting. The shooting this guy didn't even record. He just sent it around. You're projecting so hard on this.

Mate I honestly don’t think you know what you’re talking about. There’s no ‘thought crime’. It’s real. Real distribution of people getting murdered by a right wing thug who deserves never to see the light of day again.

Time for you to draw the line on the pavement which is determining what can be sent, what can't be sent around, what beliefs a person can have and what they can't. That is the entire basis of my discussion here.

Where is the damn line. What content can't be distributed and with what beliefs?

So now we are putting people in prison because their opinion with which we disagree might stir up other people to also disagree with us and that might cause problems later?

Do you see why such things would scare people now when I say it like that? I'm looking for the clear threshold, but it hasn't been offered yet. Until that's done we aren't disagreeing on much here.
Clear threshold? The threshold is distributing live footage of a massacre and editing it to tally up a body count.

The answer to your first paragraph is yes. Society doesn’t need this circulating mate, we have exposure to virtually everything via social media now, if you don’t know, social media is a weapon employed by extreme Muslim terrorists! It’s the same with inciting right wing thugs and stimulating them.

Time for you to draw the line on the pavement which is determining what can be sent, what can't be sent around, what beliefs a person can have and what they can't. That is the entire basis of my discussion here.

Where is the damn line. What content can't be distributed and with what beliefs?
1. People getting murdered
2. With an extreme belief befitting inciting terrorist behaviour

Clear threshold? The threshold is distributing live footage of a massacre and editing it to tally up a body count.

The answer to your first paragraph is yes. Society doesn’t need this circulating mate, we have exposure to virtually everything via social media now, if you don’t know, social media is a weapon employed by extreme Muslim terrorists! It’s the same with inciting right wing thugs and stimulating them.

You're comfortable putting people in prison because they hold a different opinion and do something that doesn't actually hurt anyone?

How would you describe the content of this video?
Video evidence of a man killing people for political reasons, ie a terrorist act.

I've seen footage of a terrorist act that killed far more people, far more widely distributed. That one lead to a million people dying. What is the difference?

Video evidence of a man killing people for political reasons, ie a terrorist act.
Ok, therefore I’d say that seeing a video of a man killing others is a violent one. I haven’t seen it, but have heard from someone who did that there was literally footage of people’s heads exploding.

And according to you, that isn’t violent? You’re sick.

Ok, therefore I’d say that seeing a video of a man killing others is a violent one. I haven’t seen it, but have heard from someone who did that there was literally footage of people’s heads exploding.

And according to you, that isn’t violent? You’re sick.

The act is violent. Distributing the video is not because the video is of violent acts. The video sitting on your desk is not violent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're comfortable putting people in prison because they hold a different opinion and do something that doesn't actually hurt anyone?
I am happy with putting a racist scumbag in prison who holds an opinion of hate and bigotry who has already stated that they should ‘start the cull’ and who has distributed this with a clear agenda of bigotry.

What ******* system mate? Of course that’s violent as well! I don’t want any of this s**t getting circulated for any agenda! By any group!
Perhaps you should avoid animal planet as well as the history channel.

Keeping bad things hidden is what leads to more of it.

Perhaps you should avoid animal planet as well as the history channel.

Keeping bad things hidden is what leads to more of it.
Yeah I kind of think that’s a bit different don’t you? I mean, animals behaving on instinct as part of their ingrained behaviour for survival is a bit different to a crazed gunman blowing the heads of innocent people.

CM86 are you getting a read of this?

You're the one who will put people in prison because they don't agree with you.
You’re the one who doesn’t deem a video of people getting murdered not violent..... it’s not about not disagreeing with me, it’s about the law.

Seriously, don’t quote me anymore. Your view and opinions are warped, deluded, sick, irrational, and plain disgusting.

Yeah I kind of think that’s a bit different don’t you? I mean, animals behaving on instinct as part of their ingrained behaviour for survival is a bit different to a crazed gunman blowing the heads of innocent people.

CM86 are you getting a read of this?
You ignored the most relevant part. Keeping the horrors of humanity a secret doesn't stop them, it actively impedes the prevention of them.

You're drawing comparisons to mythical people of a group you might think I'm going to be very quick to vilify to make the NZ guy's actions appear worse. The mythical guy is the one you're appealing to like a hero.

So the crime is a thought crime?
You're not being genuine, so it's impossible to converse with you.

You think this guy is just trolling.

You're saying I'm talking of a mythical people?? Saying to a mythical guy like a hero?

You're pretending you've no idea how radicalisation works. Or how these kinds of attacks are created.

You're not being genuine, so it's impossible to converse with you.

You think this guy is just trolling.

You're saying I'm talking of a mythical people?? Saying to a mythical guy like a hero?

You're pretending you've no idea how radicalisation works. Or how these kinds of attacks are created.

Given the dialogue here is that he sent it between like minded friends, yes I do think he is trolling.

I don't believe we should treat people as though they are criminals until they commit the crime. I'm not so naive to think that if we keep this stuff hidden it will all go away, I know that if this is brought out into the daylight it will allow people to discuss it and that will actually prevent attacks like this. Stopping people from sharing their bad ideas doesn't let those ideas get challenged and keeps them in dark rooms validating each other until they are sure it's right.

Seriously, the next step with this is banning facebook just in case.

Back