Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Shifter is a massive fan.

The kid has ice in his veins and a killer instinct second to none. He will be a star!

Late in the 4th when V Country hit the front, Watch the very next ruck contest - he absolutely willed himself to win the tap (got a full arm length on top of the other ruckman and won the tap easily despite being exhausted) then had about 3 repeat efforts in the clutch including the game winner assist.

This kid will do a Dom Sheed in a GF one day - bookmark it.

Really hope we get Liam Henry or Elijah Taylor. Need another exciting, quick skilful forward. Our Indigenous boys lead by Jed and Jy would get around them and make them feel at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An absolute RORT
Look after them franchises.
This was asked for by the local indigenous communities that saw their metro kids not able to be engaged in the football programs because they grew up in the metro area.

Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide and Port suggested that all indigenous players state wide could be part of their academy but they proposed that no academy selections could be matched at all before pick #30. The clubs basically offered to give up access to all their top level indigenous and next generation academy players so the metro indigenous kids could be involved too.

What they've come back with is a super compromise. Next Generation and indigenous regional players are still as per the rest of the league but indigenous talent within the metro area is able to be matched after pick #40. That should give every club a couple of chances to pick them before the WA and SA clubs get any priority access.

Huge win for our local indigenous young players. It protects the eastern states from the elite talent being kept local.

This was asked for by the local indigenous communities that saw their metro kids not able to be engaged in the football programs because they grew up in the metro area.

Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide and Port suggested that all indigenous players state wide could be part of their academy but they proposed that no academy selections could be matched at all before pick #30. The clubs basically offered to give up access to all their top level indigenous and next generation academy players so the metro indigenous kids could be involved too.

What they've come back with is a super compromise. Next Generation and indigenous regional players are still as per the rest of the league but indigenous talent within the metro area is able to be matched after pick #40. That should give every club a couple of chances to pick them before the WA and SA clubs get any priority access.

Huge win for our local indigenous young players. It protects the eastern states from the elite talent being kept local.

I don't give a stuff about the "feelz". That's not a plausible rationale. "Indegenous" has become a catchcry for all sorts of ridiculous crap.

Any other kids that are forced to move interstate don't suffer either? Where's the "feelz" for them?

It's all about your clubs getting a leg up on the field, nothing else.

I don't give a stuff about the "feelz". That's not a plausible rationale. "Indegenous" has become a catchcry for all sorts of ridiculous crap.

Any other kids that are forced to move interstate don't suffer either? Where's the "feelz" for them?

Think you might be shooting the wrong messenger Tef. Freo aren't exactly making out like COLA Swans bandits out of this.

Think you might be shooting the wrong messenger Tef. Freo aren't exactly making out like COLA Swans bandits out of this.

My reasoning still stands mate.

My reasoning still stands mate.

Re-reading I agree with your skeptical view. Was only pointing out that WA/SA access is nearer parity with Victoria.

If you want a laugh have a read of the NGA guidelines, was deep in the AFL site or somewhere.

Unintentionally hilarious watching dipshits trying not to look racist while writing a policy that is incredibly arbitrary and racist in its criteria.

Examples: if your mum is Welsh - no dice. But if your mum is Polish - welcome, you're NGA!

I mean who the **** comes up with this s**t. Why not just admit that the NSW/QLD academies were unmitigated rort and farce, scrap them and save adding in all this extra unnecessary imbalanced complexity to the draft process?

Bonus points for their stupidity when you try saying NGA phonetically..

How are the indigenous players in Melbourne distributed?

I mean who the **** comes up with this s**t. Why not just admit that the NSW/QLD academies were unmitigated rort and farce, scrap them and save adding in all this extra unnecessary imbalanced complexity to the draft process?
100% this, although I think it's very rich for any of us to complain about the NGAs atm considering that we wouldn't have netted Thomas without it.

Alternatively to scrapping them, the AFL itself is hardly short on funds. Why can't they fully fund both the northern academies and the NGA academies so that the improved pathways are still there for those kids? In this scenario, they would not tied to any club and they enter the draft with the ability to go anywhere, giving the thing a whole lot more integrity.

100% this, although I think it's very rich for any of us to complain about the NGAs atm considering that we wouldn't have netted Thomas without it.

Alternatively to scrapping them, the AFL itself is hardly short on funds. Why can't they fully fund both the northern academies and the NGA academies so that the improved pathways are still there for those kids? In this scenario, they would not tied to any club and they enter the draft with the ability to go anywhere, giving the thing a whole lot more integrity.

I don't think it's rich at all, the academies were a disaster from the start.

We haven't gained anything, I consider it a net zero return at the moment, considering we lost a F/S 2 picks later because of the very existance of another academy side.

To say we've gained an advantage is ridiculous, considering we absorbed a massive loss at almost exactly the same time.

Re-reading I agree with your skeptical view. Was only pointing out that WA/SA access is nearer parity with Victoria.

If you want a laugh have a read of the NGA guidelines, was deep in the AFL site or somewhere.

Unintentionally hilarious watching dips**ts trying not to look racist while writing a policy that is incredibly arbitrary and racist in its criteria.

Examples: if your mum is Welsh - no dice. But if your mum is Polish - welcome, you're NGA!

Bonus points for their stupidity when you try saying NGA phonetically..

Maybe “scrap” the Academies when the AFL allows Academy teams full time access to the NAB League. Vic teams play week in week out as a club whilst the Academy teams play a 6 week carnival. No passion built, no rivalries, no history and once the last game is played no contact from the senior AFL clubs. Kids go back to their local team so they can get a game. No train / No game seems to be a standard policy for a lot of senior clubs so the lads stop going to Academy. Northern State teams will not improve until the above happens and the AFL are serious about having a truly national system. A Mickey Mouse carnival, a few games in Allies if they are good enough and then back to local Colts or Senior footy. Tough to improve if you aren’t playing against a high standard every week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back