Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone think mcguiness is gonna struggle?
Seems like a man playing against boys at at the moment

Yes he will struggle big time.

He is a man amongst boys.

He is also a flight risk.

Skin folds a concern.

Cannot handball on opposite side.

Not damaging enough.

His numbers are a statistical lie.

Will leave footy after 2 years to take up break dancing at the next Olympic games.

Now someone go write an article about all that.

Skin folds a concern.

Not damaging enough.

Will leave footy after 2 years to take up break dancing at the next Olympic games.

Brendon Goddard, come on down.

Skin folds a concern.

Not damaging enough.

Injury-plagued as well, yeah?

Doesn't listen to coaches instructions.

I've heard people have seen him turn up to a match finishing off a beer. Clearly not professional enough to cut it.

The FoxFooty phantom draft doesn't have him in the top 20.
17 on twomeys
Finn not in the 20, not "on the cusp", yet they have 4 other vic metro players rated as "on the cusp".

Rowell, Anderson, Young, Serong, Ash, Green are agreed upon as top 6 picks.

Fox has Flanders at 7, Twomey has him at 10.

Fox has Trent Bianco at 12, Twomey doesn't have him at all in his phantom draft.

Fox has Worrell at 19, Twomey has him at 11.

Finn not even "on the cusp" according to Fox. Twomey rates at 17.

Fox doesn't have Elijah Taylor "on the cusp", Twomey has him at 15.

Fox has Luke Jackson at 13, he's 21 according to Twomey.

Fox has Will Day at 18, Twomey has him at 25.

These two phantom drafts have extremely similar opinions of the top-end talent, but quite differing opinions of the middle-later first rounders and onwards.

17 on twomeys
Finn not in the 20, not "on the cusp", yet they have 4 other vic metro players rated as "on the cusp".

Rowell, Anderson, Young, Serong, Ash, Green are agreed upon as top 6 picks.

Fox has Flanders at 7, Twomey has him at 10.

Fox has Trent Bianco at 12, Twomey doesn't have him at all in his phantom draft.

Fox has Worrell at 19, Twomey has him at 11.

Finn not even "on the cusp" according to Fox. Twomey rates at 17.

Fox doesn't have Elijah Taylor "on the cusp", Twomey has him at 15.

Fox has Luke Jackson at 13, he's 21 according to Twomey.

Fox has Will Day at 18, Twomey has him at 25.

These two phantom drafts have extremely similar opinions of the top-end talent, but quite differing opinions of the middle-later first rounders and onwards.

I rate Cal. Seems to be pretty close to the mark

I haven’t seen a huge amount besides the recent games, but can’t see why Serong is 3. He looks solid, but I didn’t spot anything special. I know I’m working from a small sample, but Kemp and Ash seem to have much more X factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way he is progressing you just pick him, and maybe learn what the Swans did last year to get Blakey
Has that been outlawed?
Should have been.
Recall whately asking Hocking if it was above board, he answered “yep”
Then asked if it would be allowed this year, and Hocking wasn’t so sure

Has that been outlawed?
Should have been.
Recall whately asking Hocking if it was above board, he answered “yep”
Then asked if it would be allowed this year, and Hocking wasn’t so sure

Andrew McKay has been tasked to review the Academies and NGA’s.
By extension this means the drafting rules also

The Swans certainly know how to screw the pooch

Honestly think everyone would be better off if we scrapped all the academies entirely. They aren’t about developing talent. They are about propping up specific clubs. That other clubs have occasional access to high end talent via the multicultural academies is exposing how distorting they are. Given how relatively easy it is for players to move clubs there is no reason clubs can’t eventuakly recruit talent from their home state.

Yeah that was super dodgy.

Still, they played the game and good on them I guess, but shame on the AFL for being so damn amateur that they didn’t see that coming.

Honestly think everyone would be better off if we scrapped all the academies entirely. They aren’t about developing talent. They are about propping up specific clubs. That other clubs have occasional access to high end talent via the multicultural academies is exposing how distorting they are. Given how relatively easy it is for players to move clubs there is no reason clubs can’t eventuakly recruit talent from their home state.

The academies are like welfare. Once you give people something it is very difficult to take it away. Can you imagine the outcry from the Selena’s if the academies were stripped.

I think the academies should be included in the football dept cap. Still being used to develop players.....no different fm employing a development coach

The academies are like welfare. Once you give people something it is very difficult to take it away. Can you imagine the outcry from the Selena’s if the academies were stripped.

I think the academies should be included in the football dept cap. Still being used to develop players.....no different fm employing a development coach

That's one bum analogy.
The other goes: Welfare is there to help people when they need it, when not everything has worked out as we'd hope, and rather than have groups just sit on the curb as the more able and highly credentialed and better connected stroll by to happiness and success in life, we give them a little giddyup to continue the fight.
Talking about social security there......if you're moaning about health care being welfare with a wah wah then you're beyond saving.

Academies were created to do the same thing.
There ISN'T money, time, coaching, ability to travel to high level training/playing opportunities, support from community and often family, and other myriad additives that help nurture the growth of athletic potential in all our outer reaches of Australia. That means, if you're unaware, that loads of kids go by in life without having the real opportunity to fulfill their inner potential. The idea of Academies is to draw more young talent into elite training and see what can blossom.
Without them, all kids just live where they are, hope some scout likes them on a visit to the area (crap for them if they have a down weekend in form..), and play out their unlikely lot.
When clubs are given this incentive to perhaps have a slight betterment of chance of bringing in one of their own fliers, they pour more money time and interest in giving the process a tonne of real investment.

If all clubs just waited until the carnival each year to mark their top 20, and only looked at the top tier under agers, it'd be a shitty too bad so sad call to the dreams and aspirations that ALL kids should be encouraged to have.

I hope they keep all of it, improve on all of it, and not be smeared with trite politico social labels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back