Australia is OK

Remove this Banner Ad

You need people in society earning various incomes of 40,50,60,70,80,90...150,160,170...200,210,220k per annum as they live in different homes at various distances from desirable centres (be they cbd or suburban hubs etc) and thus have differing borrowing capacities (or rent paying capacities) to live in the range of homes and apartments that people live in across the country.
With ever increasing incomes come ever increasing household costs (rent/mortgage the largest).
If cities were all like old communist centres with the same exact housing situations then incomes could be the same.
I earn twice as much as my best mate but my mortgage is twice as his. Other costs ( entertainment, communications etc are identical basically).
My brother earns 4 times as much as me but he lives in a very desirable multi million dollar home (but again with mortgage to match).

96k after tax? That's basically what I live on. As I said I'm comfortable but I wouldn't say wealthy.

EDIT: Before tax I find it incredibly hard to believe you live comfortably in any sort of suburban area. $350-400 a week in rent for a one bedroom apartment is almost $20k a year, before power, gas, internet, food, and travel expenses.
Ah there it is, everyone wants to live near the CBD where property is 50 times more expensive. We pay $300 a week for a decent 3x1 on 700sqm in a neighbourhood that whilst it's got issues it's no Midland

You need people in society earning various incomes of 40,50,60,70,80,90...150,160,170...200,210,220k per annum as they live in different homes at various distances from desirable centres (be they cbd or suburban hubs etc) and thus have differing borrowing capacities (or rent paying capacities) to live in the range of homes and apartments that people live in across the country.
With ever increasing incomes come ever increasing household costs (rent/mortgage the largest).
If cities were all like old communist centres with the same exact housing situations then incomes could be the same.
I earn twice as much as my best mate but my mortgage is twice as his. Other costs ( entertainment, communications etc are identical basically).
My brother earns 4 times as much as me but he lives in a very desirable multi million dollar home (but again with mortgage to match).
I agree in the natural sprawl – you live further out, you cop s**t neighbours, and that's the reality. And how it should be. You shouldn't pay lots of money for a house to live next door to a scumbag.

"90k is a pittance"

Jesus some people really lack social awareness. inner Croweaters being unleashed in here.
Yeah it's funny, there's two who are pissing in each other's pockets while talking non-stop about office promotions or how things work and the girlfriend they've got. Great! About as interesting to the rest of us as the ingrown hair on my nutsack. ffs.

Yeah it's funny, there's two who are pissing in each other's pockets while talking non-stop about office promotions or how things work and the girlfriend they've got. Great! About as interesting to the rest of us as the ingrown hair on my nutsack. ffs.
Your problem with white collar workers is embarrassing.

Don't hate those who are employed and are happy in their job and doing well for themselves.

Maybe if you had something to be proud of in your life you probably wouldn't come across as such a whinger all the time. You'll get there one day bud.

Last edited:
Resident tax rates 2019–20
Taxable incomeTax on this income
0 – $18,200Nil
$18,201 – $37,00019c for each $1 over $18,200
$37,001 – $90,000$3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000
$90,001 – $180,000$20,797 plus 37c for each $1 over $90,000
$180,001 and over$54,097 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Not 50% or 49%. Not even close.
45% isn't close to 49%?

Ah there it is, everyone wants to live near the CBD where property is 50 times more expensive. We pay $300 a week for a decent 3x1 on 700sqm in a neighbourhood that whilst it's got issues it's no Midland
I live an hour from the cbd.

Your jealousy is pathetic. Move out of your parents place and live in the real world.

45% on over $180,000. So obviously no.
Huh? Is 45 close to 49 or not?

I thought it was 49 for some reason, is that a recent change?

Regardless you're crying over semantics as per usual.

Is this how you struggle with money?

"Derrrr I don't know how tax brackets work"

Last edited:
45% isn't close to 49%?
It’s only 45% above $180,000. Everything below that is taxed on progressively lower rates, including the tax free amount at the start. No one is losing close to 50% of their total income, it’s close to 30% overall.

An annual salary of $90,000 isn’t Scrooge McDuck rich but you sure as hell should be doing ok. If you have a second income, then you should be very ok. People are like goldfish, they grow their spending to match their income so they always feel like they are not quite there yet. But at $100,000 or more combined, you’re more likely to be in a nice house, have nice things, but your kids nice things etc. I know my wife and I are fortunate and I don’t actually begrudge tax so that society overall can have nice things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s only 45% above $180,000. Everything below that is taxed on progressively lower rates, including the tax free amount at the start. No one is losing close to 50% of their total income, it’s close to 30% overall.

An annual salary of $90,000 isn’t Scrooge McDuck rich but you sure as hell should be doing ok. If you have a second income, then you should be very ok. People are like goldfish, they grow their spending to match their income so they always feel like they are not quite there yet. But at $100,000 or more combined, you’re more likely to be in a nice house, have nice things, but your kids nice things etc. I know my wife and I are fortunate and I don’t actually begrudge tax so that society overall can have nice things.

Nice HOUSE? Lol it's not the 90s anymore.

Nice HOUSE? Lol it's not the 90s anymore.
Replace house with apartment, or even rental, in Sydney or Melbourne and the point remains the same. I only know the Perth market but you can find a house for $300,000 in the sticks, which on $100,000, is simple. Now at $100,000, you can afford more and may not want to live in the sticks with dodgy neighbours, which is fine. So you can pay $400,000 to $600,000 for the ‘burbs. More expensive but still manageable. If you want really nice or close to the city, you’ll stretch your budget and pay a million or more. Then it may feel like you’re struggling to make ends meet. But that’s a choice people can make when they earn that kind of money.

Replace house with apartment, or even rental, in Sydney or Melbourne and the point remains the same. I only know the Perth market but you can find a house for $300,000 in the sticks, which on $100,000, is simple. Now at $100,000, you can afford more and may not want to live in the sticks with dodgy neighbours, which is fine. So you can pay $400,000 to $600,000 for the ‘burbs. More expensive but still manageable. If you want really nice or close to the city, you’ll stretch your budget and pay a million or more. Then it may feel like you’re struggling to make ends meet. But that’s a choice people can make when they earn that kind of money.
Where are you talking about here?

Last edited:

He's scraping the bottom of the suburban barrel but places for or around 300k can be found in Thornlie, Kenwick, Maddington, Huntingdale, Camillo, Armadale, Seville Grove, Kelmscott, Mount Madura, Mount Richon, Waikiki, Rockingham, Forrestfield, Langford, Gosnells, Midland, Swan View, Midvale, Bellevue, Middle Swan, Leda, Calista, Orelia just through a quick search on Real estate. Obviously some real shitholes are in there but you can find the odd gem, and not all thos suburbs are bad. The Kelmscott hills (Clifton Hills region) has some great hidden gems for cheaper than Kenwick.

You'd be brave to live in Camillo though

So you mean exactly what I said I can afford and said is fine. :p

What about buying one of these places, renting it out and then renting somewhere slightly more desirable? At least you’re in the market that way?
Hear people talking about doing this.
lol, whislt some bum trashes the place?

Unless the real estate market happens to be flying being a land lord and mucking around with tenants and houses seems like a painful way to invest your money imo.

lol, whislt some bum trashes the place?

Unless the real estate market happens to be flying being a land lord and mucking around with tenants and houses seems like a painful way to invest your money imo.
Get insurance and hope they totally trash the place and get a payout. Sell the land and take the cash?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back