Autopsy Round 16, 2019: back on the winners list over Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Although I wasn’t there on TV it seem Collingwood was flooding the defence. On screen our players were always outnumbered and under pressure. Just couldn’t find a player in the clear to pass to.
It's part a symptom of how we move up the ground & part how we deliver inside inside F50m.

We usually crab the ball up the field, from contest to contest - this allows players to flood back.
When entering F50m, we kick to the defensive areas: the pockets or toward the boundary & the top of the square - all very defendable.

It's why we struggle for goals as well, as opposed to scores. Top of the square allows opponents the safety of rushing behinds, or spoiling the ball through for a behind. When we have possession in the forward pocket, we're easily 'pinned in' to that area, meaning we have to take low quality shots or over-utilise the ball trying to get back to within a reasonable location from which to score from.

Can we discuss the clock at the end there? Collingwood got 30 extra seconds to win that game because the clock didn't start counting when Hendo lined up to take his 30 seconds. Could have been very embarrassing for the AFL.

Imagine if the game was decided in that last 30 seconds.

Don’t let BTs lack of knowledge of the rules fool you. As others said the ball went out on the full so it’s a free kick not the 30 seconds for a kick for goal after a mark. The ump confused the issue by calling out 15 left to Henderson

I'm usually the first to stick up for Glass but he was absolutely horrendous tonight in all aspects until he went forward in the last & that was probably only because he was less of a liability there.
He really wasn't. There was a lot of hysterical posts made on here after he made one poor error by foot.

The one where he cleared left and the ball bounced up over Impey's head wasn't great, but it wasn't a complete howler either. Sicily was in an almost identical situation last night and got caught cold, dead in front.

Not hearing an umpire say "back 2....", then "Conor, Conor" and copping a 50 without the ump reiterating with "back 2" was pretty rough on him too.
The ump really should have repeated the line "Conor back 2, Conor back 2".

He really wasn't. There was a lot of hysterical posts made on here after he made one poor error by foot.

The one where he cleared left and the ball bounced up over Impey's head wasn't great, but it wasn't a complete howler either. Sicily was in an almost identical situation last night and got caught cold, dead in front.

Not hearing an umpire say "back 2....", then "Conor, Conor" and copping a 50 without the ump reiterating with "back 2" was pretty rough on him too.
Connor looked at the umpire (who was 30 meters away) so he simply didn’t hear. They really should have a hand signal to get back on the mark, at least then if you see it you know somethings up.

Both our 50s were pretty soft I thought. The fact we got a very soft square up from the ump almost immediately after the Glass one implied at least one umpire out there thought the same.

Yes I recall Clarko saying a few weeks ago that Gunston went back to clear space for Mitch... do you think this was the case again or that Clarko wanted another sure hand down back? A bit of both?

If Clarko really wanted to clear space for Mitch, he would instruct Nash to lead up the ground rather than crashing the same packs Mitch is trying to mark in.

I really don't understand it, whilst Nash is tall he is not a good overhead mark. There were numerous times where he hampered Mitch's run at the contest.

He seems too invested in the Irish experiment, went out of his way to justify their mistakes in the presser.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Clarko really wanted to clear space for Mitch, he would instruct Nash to lead up the ground rather than crashing the same packs Mitch is trying to mark in.

I really don't understand it, whilst Nash is tall he is not a good overhead mark. There were numerous times where he hampered Mitch's run at the contest.

He seems too invested in the Irish experiment, went out of his way to justify their mistakes in the presser.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

This.

Watch how many times he tried to spoil a defender because he was caught behind. Doesn't know how to play in front, or doesn't want to.

He's a massive work in progress, and will need more time at BH. Most likely this week.

This.

Watch how many times he tried to spoil a defender because he was caught behind. Doesn't know how to play in front, or doesn't want to.

He's a massive work in progress, and will need more time at BH. Most likely this week.

Agree, he was all over the place and is a long way off. He shouldn't be playing seniors at the moment. Typically posters jumped the gun after last week's game.

Though he's got the physical tools to work with and he dished out a very nice handball at one point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glass is not up to it at this stage... his decision making is inept

Not to pick the eyes out of a great nite but gluten free meat pies and mid strength great northern beer at the mcg on a Friday nite.... what the actual f%$#???

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I thought that 50 was there, he was well over the mark. It’s a lack of footy nous, he should have known he was a few meters forward of the mark and at least looked at the umpire and pretended he didn’t know/slowly step back. Maybe he was in the moment and couldn’t hear, but just a token hand up, look at the umpire and step back was required. He will learn from it.

I genuinely see this year as a development year and have consoled myself over recent losses with the prospect of bringing in some quality young talent, but jeez I love winning. Especially when it is on the back of our kids doing the heavy lifting. Some horrendous footy played at times last night but the fact we still get the W is impressive.

Feel like Smith has copped some unfair whacks after last night too. Yes, a couple of poor decisions but his run and carry was back and was definitely one of our best on the night. But some people see what they want to see and ignore anything that contradicts their beliefs.

Such a shame it was our last home G game for the year - ah well - see you in 2020 m13 mwah
Was it really? Cos walking into the game i said it feels like our first proper game of the year. The fixture this year has been an absolute nightmare.

This.

Watch how many times he successfully spoiled a defender when caught behind. Recently we have tried shoenmakers, Obrien, Sicily and a cooked roughhead as tall forwards and they all just let the opposition mark it.

This.

Nash brings the ball to ground at almost every contest he gets to, which is a lot.

Sure, that's a stupid metric to justify selection, but then look at our plan for heading inside F50m & you'll see him working to the stupid plan.

It's way too early to call, but I don't think he will ever be a strong marking player, but I hope to see big improvement in his game next year when he has making players around him & can focus on pressure & causing mayhem amongst defenders.

This.

Yep - agree. Some very poor position at times. He needs to learn some more game play, but he still has potential.

I’m ok with Glass. He offers a lot of run out of the backline. I dare say Birchall and Scrimshaw push him out though.

Worried about Mitch Lewis though. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a cheek fracture judging by how his shiner came up. If so, he will be out for quite a few weeks.

Also worried about Gunston. I saw him in one chase and i thought he was limping - or at least struggling.

Best game from Strats all year - great answer to a humiliating performance with the pinching last time he was out.

Also best game from Frawley too. Well done Chip.

Sic & Impey awesome.

Shiels may have been the one to turn it in the last quarter - great game also.

I wasn’t as grumpy about the umpires as some.. Maybe some inconsistent HTB, and a soft 50, but not so bad. I watched the replay btw so that took my emotion out of it..

Glass is not up to it at this stage... his decision making is inept
He's a young bloke finding his way, just like many others that you want to see playing senior football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back