Preview Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Blundstone Arena, Sunday 7th July, 3:20PM AEST *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s more on a body of work rather than just one 19 possession game.
He averages 16 touches this year and 11 last year. I don’t mean to dismiss him, but his body of work is mediocre at best. Our depth as a whole is average so I understand people’s frustration at selection, but reality is we have no options that will please all.

I know Richmond have had injuries but they’ve brought in Stack, Naish, Coleman-Jones, Jack Ross, Mabior Chol, Baker and now Eggmolesse-Smith, Instead of playing blokes like Weller and Townsend who were left in the VFL.

If we’re serious about developing players and seeing if they have enough talent, we need to be playing them and giving them a run of a few games at least.

To give Newnes a “lesson” by dropping him for 1 week and bringing him straight back is a joke. We know what Newnes brings, and for the last 2 years that’s been, sweet **** all. This week would’ve been the perfect opportunity to give Whitey or Langlands a go.

If we lose, well so what? Were s**t and would lose with newnes anyway
I know Richmond have had injuries but they’ve brought in Stack, Naish, Coleman-Jones, Jack Ross, Mabior Chol, Baker and now Egg mayonesse-Smith, Instead of playing blokes like Weller and Townsend who were left in the VFL.

Is he Jack Mayo's step half brother?

He averages 16 touches this year and 11 last year. I don’t mean to dismiss him, but his body of work is mediocre at best. Our depth as a whole is average so I understand people’s frustration at selection, but reality is we have no options that will please all.
What’s newnes body of work like?

Newnes avges 12 in the ones he hasnt got a lot to beat. To be fair

What’s newnes body of work like?
Newnes avges 12 in the ones he hasnt got a lot to beat. To be fair
Newnes averages 19, for the sake of accuracy.

I’m not saying Newnes is a great option or even the right option. I don’t know if there is a right option. Langlands isn’t even getting close to our last gun we missed in Ledger.

Personally I wanted to see Rice in the team. Solid mark, not the worst skills, & can take a hit...a bit slow at times....but then look at our midfield. I think he'd be worth a go in the forward line. Couldn't be worse than Young's efforts after his first game. We have Newnes covered with guys like Acres and Sinclair...Parker, Hind and Long could rotate through quie easily as well. He (Newnes) should've had at least another week with Sandy. As for Doults, he'll get a go before the end of the year with a bit of luck...he's not ready, but it would be good for him, and good for us to see him. Development involves risks after all. Anyway after this game, we'll know for sure if we are a mid table team, or bottom feeders for another season. I'm hoping for an upset...but hope can be as dumb as faith is blind.

Exactly, there lies the problem that is low expectations.. if your coach doesn’t demand excellence, who will? At least he can say XXX didn’t have the best of the games, need to improve on XXX..
To be fair: he doesn’t need to say that publicly as long as it is communicated to the player.
Anyway, it is quite obvious from Sammy’s commentary if you read between the lines.

Fair call - I'd love to have seen Dingley get a game but as soon as it was Hanners that wasn't available, to me Newnes became an almost automatic in. If someone like Hind was injured then I'd have wanted Newnes to stay at Sandy and bring in Langland's

I think we have stacked the seniors with hard bodies to counter act Shaw's brutal game style. Kids would have been lined up and smashed, Armo, Newnes etc can take a battering.

Interestingly last night I spoke to a North supporter friend. They claimed that Shaw had done more to create a "brand" at North that Scott did in 10 years. They mentioned that hard physical edge and how with the players they have it should have been obvious. They aren't a high skilled side but their physicality from guys like Ziebell and Cunnington was obvious to create a style around.

I think we have stacked the seniors with hard bodies to counter act Shaw's brutal game style. Kids would have been lined up and smashed, Armo, Newnes etc can take a battering.

Interestingly last night I spoke to a North supporter friend. They claimed that Shaw had done more to create a "brand" at North that Scott did in 10 years. They mentioned that hard physical edge and how with the players they have it should have been obvious. They aren't a high skilled side but their physicality from guys like Ziebell and Cunnington was obvious to create a style around.
Just need to run through a couple of their young blokes, and their physicality will fizzle out pretty quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well personally, I like to go what I see, and with White I see a constant performer at VFL level who then performs at AFL level then doesn't get a chance to settle for a few games.

All the while Newnes gets 123 straight games of bland nothingness, DMAC never gets dropped, Savage does less than SFA year in and year out and Armo, for all his efforts is cooked.

I am calling it as I see it. White is no Ledger or Tommy Walsh, and is certainly better than some of the above.

While others are given chance after chance White is left to rot. In my opinion, and it is an opinion formed over multiple VFL games this year.
He had 10 touches in his only game this year. I don't think that's performing. Richardson has his favourites for sure, but I also think it's damning that White has had four seasons to cement his place in our 22 and hasn't been able to, all the while guys like Coffield, Wilkie and Battle have been in the system not as long as White yet have already gone past him.

I think the selection process has been compromised a bit this year as well. Our lack of experience would definitely be influencing who gets selected.

Imagine looking at the back 7 with no Robo, Gears, Webster and Carlisle. Your left with Brown and Kids really if you drop Sav, still I think it’s time. Savs form has started to waver and White deserves a go.

The other selection that was forced was Wilkie. Richo had said he wasn’t even on the radar until one of the preseason games and with injuries. He gets his opportunity and has done very well.
I think what it shows is that we don't have very much depth.

Again, and I feel like I'm repeating myself here, it's not his ******* fault if he plays well in the VFL and doesn't get selected. He's even played well at AFL level and then been discarded to the side like a used condom by Richo because he's not dumber than ******* unlike old mate Daniel McKenzie. Don't ever tell me that White isn't AFL quality if Daniel ******* McKenzie can get a regular game.
You really hate Dan McKenzie don't you, haha. Sure he isn't the most gifted player but our list is littered with those. What in White's 11 AFL games over four seasons leads you to believe he is AFL quality? Because of his good form at a lower level? Plenty of good VFL players. I think White is one of those.

He had 10 touches in his only game this year. I don't think that's performing. Richardson has his favourites for sure, but I also think it's damning that White has had four seasons to cement his place in our 22 and hasn't been able to, all the while guys like Coffield, Wilkie and Battle have been in the system not as long as White yet have already gone past him.

I think what it shows is that we don't have very much depth.

You really hate Dan McKenzie don't you, haha. Sure he isn't the most gifted player but our list is littered with those. What in White's 11 AFL games over four seasons leads you to believe he is AFL quality? Because of his good form at a lower level? Plenty of good VFL players. I think White is one of those.

10 possessions but he only had half a game at most and was noticeably hobbling when he did go back. He was one of the reasons that we actually won with his last 5 minutes.

I come in peace as i haven't seen the Saints much.

I've read Steele with go to Cunnington. He's our key mid by far.

Is that a hard tag like DeBoer do you expect or more just head on best man wins?

I come in peace as i haven't seen the Saints much.

I've read Steele with go to Cunnington. He's our key mid by far.

Is that a hard tag like DeBoer do you expect or more just head on best man wins?
no

Thanks. Because if teams beat Cunnington we are far more vulnerable.
What are your thoughts on B. Scott and would have to be wrapped with what Shaw is doing

Righto ......rushed to the game from the airport to be disappointed in the second half.

Was thinking last week damn Dunstan has a crack, then he turned it over with the Tigers scoring and runnig away from us summed us up........having a crack but...Also hate to say Carlisle looked a step slow, hope it ain't so

Looking forward to watching the Saints live at the ground next to my high school, the ground i used to climb underneath the fence to watch Jack Riewoldt's ol man play (Cabbage)

Some believe North are raging favourites , reckon all we we lack is class in the middle and CONFIDENCE.

Clark, Acres, Billings, Marshall, Gresham, Battle are class......need others including Parker , Hind to have big games

Lookinng forward to watching it tomorrow with a mate who is a scout here in Tassie for North Go Saints

I've wanted Scott gone for years. Has little idea and kept him far too long.

Yep rapt with Shaw so far and hopefully it continues (just from a North perspective)
You guys were blessed to have Scott. Lucky he stuck around for as long as he did. Reece will only be a round for another year or two with the amount of lollies he eats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back