Autopsy Round 16, 2019: back on the winners list over Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank f...k somebody who actually knows what he is talking about has made an accurate assessment on Nash. This kid is a an athletic beast and he will take time, but what he brings is huge. Remember he was an elite garlic footballer, elite rugby player and is now learning his craft in a complete foreign high pressure environment.

He will never be a ruckman but he reminds me a lot of steff Martin. Martin how no idea in his first 6-7 seasons but the athletic ability was always there. I’m more worried about the other Irishmen, want him to succeed but not overly confident especially after last nights game

I was a garlic footballer too. I was in everything but I stunk.

It's actually completely the fault of the coaches IMO. They are the ones implementing zones that restrict ball movement, excess numbers around the ball which make clean breakaways difficult and a strategy of playing down the boundary line in order to at least create a stoppage if you don't win the footy. Unfortunately, Clarko is one of the worst at it at the moment too.
Agreed. If they keep changing rules they're just going to keep chasing their tail.

Someone made you go to see Riverdance too many times

Tige - Clarko obviously wants to persist as was evident in his presser last night. Maybe look for positive developments because otherwise you’re going to not enjoy your time watching them. I have a feeling Clarko is going to give them every opportunity to get there
Re the Irish lads I think Clarko was just going in to bat for Glass. He had an absolute shocker last night and was directly responsible for 3 of there goals last night. Clarko obviously didn’t want to be seen as knocking him. Nash was okay last night but I reckon if Birchall is in next week then O’Brien goes forward and I don’t think you can play Lewis, Gunston, Nash and O’Brien up there. Nash does so many things that don’t show up on the stat sheet and if he ever can clunk a mark and kick goals we could very well have a weapon on our hands but until then he’s still a project.

Clarkson: The next wave

Hawthorn Coach Alastair Clarkson says the phase the club is currently going through is a familiar one.

Clarkson said exposure and confidence at the level would be the main focus for the Hawks' nucleus of youth.

Please watch Clarkos presser for some perspective. The kids are making some mistakes but that's the learning curve. Please be patience and enjoy the journey.

He really wasn't. There was a lot of hysterical posts made on here after he made one poor error by foot.

The one where he cleared left and the ball bounced up over Impey's head wasn't great, but it wasn't a complete howler either. Sicily was in an almost identical situation last night and got caught cold, dead in front.

Not hearing an umpire say "back 2....", then "Conor, Conor" and copping a 50 without the ump reiterating with "back 2" was pretty rough on him too.
The ump really should have repeated the line "Conor back 2, Conor back 2".
He didnt just make one poor error though, he had 5 direct turnovers in his first 11 possessions when he was down back & 3 of those I can clearly remember were kicking it straight to Collingwood players under very little pressure while missing very open Hawks.

I don't blame him for the 50 at all, that was stiff but boy if people think he wasn't shocking last night i'd hate to see what they think is a terrible game.

It's actually completely the fault of the coaches IMO. They are the ones implementing zones that restrict ball movement, excess numbers around the ball which make clean breakaways difficult and a strategy of playing down the boundary line in order to at least create a stoppage if you don't win the footy. Unfortunately, Clarko is one of the worst at it at the moment too.
The rules and umpiring changes don't help

He didnt just make one poor error though, he had 5 direct turnovers in his first 11 possessions when he was down back & 3 of those I can clearly remember were kicking it straight to Collingwood players under very little pressure while missing very open Hawks.

I don't blame him for the 50 at all, that was stiff but boy if people think he wasn't shocking last night i'd hate to see what they think is a terrible game.
I must have been drinking last night because I either missed it or it did not happen.

Please watch Clarkos presser for some perspective. The kids are making some mistakes but that's the learning curve. Please be patience and enjoy the journey.
Exactly. We have some green players, they will have ups and downs.

Ride the bumps with a grin.

This.

Watch how many times he tried to spoil a defender because he was caught behind. Doesn't know how to play in front, or doesn't want to.

He's a massive work in progress, and will need more time at BH. Most likely this week.

I get your point but at the same time its a positive thing that he is able to create a contest and bring the ball to ground even when hes out of position. The pressure he applies up forward is a big part of the reason that the Pies kept kicking it straight back to us on their way out of the backline.

I do wonder if Gunston has developed a reliance on his ability that means he waits for the ball to come to him, rather than attacking the ball and leading up to the ball carrier.

That's the immediate difference I notice with Timmy.
When he is inside 50, he leads at the ball carrier with purpose. He might not mark it, but he creates movement, whereas Gunston often has a tendency to stand shoulder to shoulder with his defender, arm in the air, looking to do a little 5 metre lead or wait for the ball to be dumped long.

Timmy's leading at the ball creates a dynamic that also helps others as he drags tall defenders with him.

I’ve noticed that he’s not even jumping for contests this season which leads me to believe that it’s a physical issue. If he’s truly got an issue with the ITB then rest him up and bring back Wingard and push Timmy to CHF. We’d then have Lewis and Smith as leading targets with Breust, Poppy, Wingard, Ollie at their feet for the crumbs. Bring in Birchall if he’s fit to take O’Brien’s spot down back and let Gunners get healthy is what I’d like to see and then Wingard for Nash for team balance / class. Also bring in Jones or Cousins for Glass and we’ve got something to move forward with next season.

"We've been through, in my time here, over the 15 years, two waves, of which we've risen to the top of the mountain both those times – one in 2008, and then the era from '13 to '15," Clarkson said on Friday night.

"Without a doubt we're in that transition again; to find our next wave of success for our footy club. When's that going to be? I'm not too sure.

"But in 2010, when we were debuting kids like Isaac Smith and Luke Breust and Ben Stratton and Ryan Schoenmakers and Paul Puopolo and these sorts of lads, there were a lot of scribes out there saying they're too skinny and not consistent enough.

"That's just the way of the world until they get exposure to the level enough that they build their confidence to make a contribution on a consistent basis – and that just takes some time."

"I reckon our Hawks supporters would be seeing that there are some kids there who might emerge into good players for us in the next few years," he said.

"If they go on to be really good players, then we'll give ourselves a chance to win some silverware again in the not-too-distant future."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No good for draft position, but we got a deserved win our efforts over the last fortnight have warranted. Sicily and Impey were fantastic, Mitch Lewis some nice clunks. Glass was horrific on a sour note.

In all honesty the AFL needs to hurry up and make incorrect disposal more black and white.

If you get tackled and the ball drops out without you getting a kick or handball away just call it. Will make players either try and hold possession and then risk getting caught holding the ball or they will actively try to keep the ball moving more so think it will lessen the amount of ball ups and congestion there

Not just Gil. It's the coaches too.

Media go ultra mega reactionary to the state of the game at each turn, the AFL suits decide the game needs to have amendments made the rules to open it up, and then the coaches deploy strategies to restrict the flow of the opposition. It's never ending cycle, and will only be fixed if we can get in a time machine, go back to the 90's and warn the suits that they just need to let the game evolve.

100% it’s the coaches... they are to smart for the AFL, guys like Clarko (who’s style has become very ugly) are just 2 steps ahead.

Last nights game became watchable only when players fatigued in the last 20 minutes, that is the sole reason. Reduce interchange to 15 a quarter and watch our game open up, coaches can’t control the ability of their players to stick to structures when they are physically incapable.

Someone made you go to see Riverdance too many times

Tige - Clarko obviously wants to persist as was evident in his presser last night. Maybe look for positive developments because otherwise you’re going to not enjoy your time watching them. I have a feeling Clarko is going to give them every opportunity to get there

It’s a painful few years each week with the Conors

Re the Irish lads I think Clarko was just going in to bat for Glass. He had an absolute shocker last night and was directly responsible for 3 of there goals last night. Clarko obviously didn’t want to be seen as knocking him. Nash was okay last night but I reckon if Birchall is in next week then O’Brien goes forward and I don’t think you can play Lewis, Gunston, Nash and O’Brien up there. Nash does so many things that don’t show up on the stat sheet and if he ever can clunk a mark and kick goals we could very well have a weapon on our hands but until then he’s still a project.
In terms of who comes in and out in the short term I don’t disagree - but in terms of staying on the list I’d say they’ll at least get another year maybe two

I’m taking the credit
I put the phone and the whinging down and they sent me a big **** you

Great hands from TOB and Lewis - refreshing

Lewis is going to be very very good

And the timekeeper is obviously a pies man
The AFL needs to go back to two timekeepers, one from each club as it used to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back