Autopsy Round 16, 2019: back on the winners list over Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I get your point but at the same time its a positive thing that he is able to create a contest and bring the ball to ground even when hes out of position. The pressure he applies up forward is a big part of the reason that the Pies kept kicking it straight back to us on their way out of the backline.
Look, it's better than being outmarked. But we clearly need more from a fwd than spoils from behind. He's had 0 kicks. So you can rule out hitting the scoreboard. He's had 0 marks.

Hey may make it, but he ain't ready yet I'll give you the tip. Yes, we are gifting games at present. Is he better served learning his craft at BH? Probably. If Chad is fit, does he make way for him? No doubt.

Not just Gil. It's the coaches too.

Media go ultra mega reactionary to the state of the game at each turn, the AFL suits decide the game needs to have amendments made the rules to open it up, and then the coaches deploy strategies to restrict the flow of the opposition. It's never ending cycle, and will only be fixed if we can get in a time machine, go back to the 90's and warn the suits that they just need to let the game evolve.
Game opens up in the 4th when everyone's tired. Therefore, severely restrict interchanges and fatigue will become a factor sooner.

Last edited:

Always good to beat Collingwood.

If and when we actually click as a side we will be pretty good.
That’s the interesting part for mine.

It may just be coincidence but we did look like we clicked a little more when Nash, O’Brien, Ollie, Bruest and Pop were all forward together ....the dynamic shifted and we had blokes playing more on instinct than formula as we were quick to give the ball, keen to pressure and eager to get involved.

I shouldn’t say we clicked, but I think that “chaos” lifted us 5-10%.

Great to see Mitch Lewis developing, gunna be very good this lad , got a bit of the Jono Browns about him I reckon but a bit bigger, like the direction Clarkson is going with the list , it's a fine line , if we can get Tom Mitchell back on the park in 2020 with the addition of a key fwd and another high class mid who knows ....

In terms of who comes in and out in the short term I don’t disagree - but in terms of staying on the list I’d say they’ll at least get another year maybe two
Agreed. I just think in his presser that he was just stating to have patience because they are so new to the game. Judge them in another 2 years and they haven’t progressed then yeah it might be project time over.

good win by the boys, Collingwood and Buckley looked worried all night, i think they realise we are their bogey team

Smith was great, McEvoy battled hard as always, Sicily was best on, very productive off of half back, Impey was great as well, Worpel, Shiels and JOM won some key clearances late, Lewis, Hanrahan and Breust kicking 2 all played well, Lewis with contested marks and bringing ball to ground for the little guys although he missed a sitter, Hanrahan got his 2 goals from moments of brilliance in the last quarter to help us get over the line, Breust worked his way into the game and couldve had 4, Nash contested well and even O'Brien contested well when he went forw which was good to see, Frawley as a stable tall defender is such a luxury at times.

i support Clarkos 3rd wave, but i also support us using high draft picks to regenerate our list as well as the trading FA, i think as you can see with the amount of youngsters in the last few years becoming stars of the comp you can regenerate a list via the trade and draft, drafting doesnt mean it takes 3-4 years, and trading doesnt mean instant impact, i think we need a balance and recently we have not had that balance with very few 1st rounders that have generated quality 20 year olds for us, that was the key to the 2008 premiership and the key to 2011-2016 era as well, its easy to praise the more experienced guys, but it was Cyril's first year in 2008, it was Buddy, Roughs, Lewis' 4th year, it was Birchall's 3rd year, in 2012 it was Smiths 2nd year, Breusts 3rd year Poppys 2nd year, Strattons, Gunstons, Shiels ect ect ect theres plenty more examples, so thinking going to the draft is raising the white flag is an odd idea when our previous 2 premiership tilts were based on youngsters we drafted and who were champions of our team all of them very early in their careers, we seem to have forgotten that in recent times.

Last edited:
We really should cut both Conor’s some slack. Would they get a game if Scrimshaw, Birchall, Wingard and Mitchell were available, probably not but they have been thrown into the deep end to an extent being good athletes playing a foreign game. Fast forward 12 months and if the output remains the same there would be question marks over their future in the game. They both move well and have AFL standard qualities but Nash needs to mark and present better as a forward and Glass needs to accelerate quicker (it’s not VFL) when he gets the ball to allow himself time to better use the ball. Half back/wing is where both players are better suited and are positions where it is easier to learn the game (where most if not all the good Irish players have prospered) but unfortunately for Nash and Glass we are strong in those areas especially when Scrimshaw and (if) Birchall return. I believe they have the talent and I am not too fussed they are getting a game in what has turned out to be somewhat of an experimental year. It’s just a matter of figuring what position best suits them and hoping they can learn quickly and become very good AFL players. We have not invested high draft picks in securing them so it’s not the end of the world if they don’t quite turnout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man just watched the last quarter again. That switch of TOB to the forward line was instrumental. Just gave us some really nice lead up targets. TOB was just fantastic in the last.

Actually excited with TOB now. He is a legit swingman. Gives us so much flexibility and he's actually getting better and better with his contested marking thanks to being down back.

good win by the boys, Collingwood and Buckley looked worried all night, i think they realise we are their bogey team

Smith was great, McEvoy battled hard as always, Sicily was best on, very productive off of half back, Impey was great as well, Worpel, Shiels and JOM won some key clearances late, Lewis, Hanrahan and Breust kicking 2 all played well, Lewis with contested marks and bringing ball to ground for the little guys although he missed a sitter, Hanrahan got his 2 goals from moments of brilliance in the last quarter to help us get over the line, Breust worked his way into the game and couldve had 4, Nash contested well and even O'Brien contested well when he went forw which was good to see, Frawley as a stable tall defender is such a luxury at times.

i support Clarkos 3rd wave, but i also support us using high draft picks to regenerate our list as well as the trading FA, i think as you can see with the amount of youngsters in the last few years becoming stars of the comp you can regenerate a list via the trade and draft, drafting doesnt mean it takes 3-4 years, and trading doesnt mean instant impact, i think we need a balance and recently we have not had that balance with very few 1st rounders that have generated quality 20 year olds for us, that was the key to the 2008 premiership and the key to 2011-2016 era as well, its easy to praise the more experienced guys, but it was Cyril's first year in 2008, it was Buddy, Roughs, Lewis' 4th year, it was Birchall's 3rd year, in 2012 it was Smiths 2nd year, Breusts 3rd year Poppys 2nd year, Strattons, Gunstons, Shiels ect ect ect theres plenty more examples, so thinking going to the draft is raising the white flag is an odd idea when our previous 2 premiership tilts were based on youngsters we drafted and who were champions of our team all of them very early in their careers, we seem to have forgotten that in recent times.

Top post

24 changes last three years, but you suspect we will have plenty more this year. With f/s. FA and early picks (for us)

Maybe the hard part will be finding spots on the list. Hopefully if some of our youngsters are tipped out, they can find a spot somewhere else.

He really wasn't. There was a lot of hysterical posts made on here after he made one poor error by foot.

The one where he cleared left and the ball bounced up over Impey's head wasn't great, but it wasn't a complete howler either. Sicily was in an almost identical situation last night and got caught cold, dead in front.

Not hearing an umpire say "back 2....", then "Conor, Conor" and copping a 50 without the ump reiterating with "back 2" was pretty rough on him too.
The ump really should have repeated the line "Conor back 2, Conor back 2".
If TImmy didn't stuff up a simple backwards pass Glass wouldn't have been under pressure in the 1st place. The bounce could have easily sat up perfectly and we were away just got unlucky.

I rate collingwood as a topteam but boy, if you keep Cox quiet, they dont look flash

Impey outmarked Cox twice in contests that Cox should have at least halved. Poor efforts by Cox on both occasions.

If TImmy didn't stuff up a simple backwards pass Glass wouldn't have been under pressure in the 1st place. The bounce could have easily sat up perfectly and we were away just got unlucky.

Sometimes defenders get caught in goals against situations because they tried to save the already bad situation but failed

I don't hate Collingwood, I hate Essendon, Carlton and Sydney who all cheated to take our GF's.
This.

My dad (Demons fan) brought me up to hate the Pies, but I’m a big fan of what Buckley gives to the game as coach. So I enjoy them during the season but am happy to see them lose Grand Finals.

But the Bombers can go EAD.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Serious question... is this current version of Jags the best we’re going to get? The guy we have, here and now, is this it? I’m not keen to hear “wait till Titch comes back”. Just a genuine question to Hawk supporters.

100% it’s the coaches... they are to smart for the AFL, guys like Clarko (who’s style has become very ugly) are just 2 steps ahead.

Last nights game became watchable only when players fatigued in the last 20 minutes, that is the sole reason. Reduce interchange to 15 a quarter and watch our game open up, coaches can’t control the ability of their players to stick to structures when they are physically incapable.

Im with you here mate.

Give the coaches back the runners to get messages out for a start. It allows adjustments to increase scoring faster... that is just a ridiculous rule that was never going to work.

Reducing the rotations further absolutely creates space late in games, it has always been survival of the fittest for top teams slogging it out.
Turnovers & exhaustion will lead to more scoring opportunities & ultimately lead to a more dynamic game & spectator friendly viewing at the game bit more so on TV where the class & skills of players can shine through the muck of structural tactics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back