List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

TheGeneralmeg

Senior List
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
The AFL should really consider a mini draft type scenario again for the suns even if its just 1 or 2 picks. Must trade to other clubs for 1st choice of 17yo talent. Suns could use that to get either top 10 draft pick or established best 22 player.
The Afl need to try and get someone like Tom Hawkins up there

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Afl need to try and get someone like Tom Hawkins up there
Why Hawkins type? We already got primary tall in Wright, King. King and Lukosius will be 5-7 kg extra next year and will play forward a lot next year to develop them further. Day struggles to get a spot there now. Then there is Corbett, Burgess to play there too though not as first tall.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The AFL should really consider a mini draft type scenario again for the suns even if its just 1 or 2 picks. Must trade to other clubs for 1st choice of 17yo talent. Suns could use that to get either top 10 draft pick or established best 22 player.
The problem there is other teams convincing a best 22 calibre player to move to the Gold Coast for the trade to work.

You don't need a mini draft fro that. You just need the cap space, and the ability to attract a quality player from another team.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The problem there is other teams convincing a best 22 calibre player to move to the Gold Coast for the trade to work.

You don't need a mini draft fro that. You just need the cap space, and the ability to attract a quality player from another team.
well for starters it gives suns the currency for the trade. I think the attractiveness of the suns is the best its been since inception. But were not going to attract a treloar, sheil, coniglio type star it would be either an aged star around 28 or older or a young fringe best 18-22 player looking for more responsibility.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
well for starters it gives suns the currency for the trade. I think the attractiveness of the suns is the best its been since inception. But were not going to attract a treloar, sheil, coniglio type star it would be either an aged star around 28 or older or a young fringe best 18-22 player looking for more responsibility.
At 28, a player should be at their peak, or their body is breaking down prematurely. Trading for a short term senior player appears to be a sort term gain and waste of a resource. I believe the Suns are past that point.

Young fringe players are more likely to head "home", then move interstate for more opportunities or responsibilities. Better off trading for picks and draft a kid in to your current culture.

Personally I think you should be looking for players in the 22 to 26 age bracket who are looking for a second opportunity to revive their career. But it's very much a money ball type scenario. There are few guarantees such players will pan out. I'd be looking hard at North or St Kilda for such players. I wanted to add Hawthorn, but feel they're going to retool again this trade period.

Go hard at Seb Ross. Ben Cunnington if you want an older player.

It's hard for me to see Gold Coast as a destination club for such players. More likely your GHS quality players, and you might have enough of those players on your list already. Maybe in a couple of years when your club is viewed as more stable and is seen to be competing at a higher level, you might find those players who prefer the anonymity of playing in a non football state looking to come north.

TheGeneralmeg

Senior List
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Why Hawkins type? We already got primary tall in Wright, King. King and Lukosius will be 5-7 kg extra next year and will play forward a lot next year to develop them further. Day struggles to get a spot there now. Then there is Corbett, Burgess to play there too though not as first tall.
Or even Gunston or Walker , they need an older and still effective body to carry the load while players like King develop. The PR probably wouldn’t hurt either. If they got Hawkins and he started firing they would get another 5k through the gate. Make him an afl ambassador or something

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Heron, Dawson, scheer gone.
young guy Mitch riordan looked like one of our absolute bests in the 2’s. Moved with pace, kicked the ball well, played with anticipation. Qualities that most of our seconds players don’t have!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also the game plan, GC have Peter Wright, Sam Day and Witts currently playing forward/ruck and Ruck /forward. I would keep Nicholls if he is Rookie B like Collingwood Cox ( few years ago) , currently he is just keeping Crossley from improving his ruck work in NEAFL.
Nicholls wouldbe fine as a Rookie B and I'm not convinced Crossley is a ruckman. Saw Nicholls yesterday and he performed OK and unless a better prospect comes along I'd keep him as our backup.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Or even Gunston or Walker , they need an older and still effective body to carry the load while players like King develop. The PR probably wouldn’t hurt either. If they got Hawkins and he started firing they would get another 5k through the gate. Make him an afl ambassador or something
Cameron, Himmelberg or a Finlayson would be nice. Don’t be so greedy. Why you need all three?

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Bloody Brisbane keep defying the odds.
Could end up getting pick 18 from the lions and giving pick 19 back..

Surely they run out of puff soon.
Need Zorko to go down with a season ending big ego injury
I feel like them succeeding is better than any difference in draft pick for us. Bigger picture stuff. That one draft pick won't turn us around really given our history.

Stronger Queensland teams make for better AFL and the growth in the state as well.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I feel like them succeeding is better than any difference in draft pick for us. Bigger picture stuff. That one draft pick won't turn us around really given our history.

Stronger Queensland teams make for better AFL and the growth in the state as well.

Brisbane succeeding to me is playing finals.
After a rough 10 years.
Anything more then that just hurts our draft pick
Especially if they finish top 3-4

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
List management strategy wishlist

Get a priority pick and get 1 & 2
Get a 1st Rd pick so we can have Jack Martin * off
Massive rookie list cull - need to take some punts to find Saad like players that can contribute
Keep Sam Day and Ah Chee if the price is right
Walk Blakely through PSD - * Freo
Take a punt on Stephen Hill - need to try something
Draft midfielders

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Been putting bit of thought in to your list needs. One aspect I'm not sure on, is if your list has time for a highly rated kid to take two or three years to develop fully.

Would there be a spot on your list for a Shannon Turn type defender?

Basically I've been looking at the kids who will be ready to contribute from round one next year, and the two obvious kids are Matt Rowell and Will Gould.

So I was thinking Gould to the back 6, and move Luksoius to a wing. That way you have two classy ball users who can deliver the foot ball lace out or to a players advantage in the forward line.

And Dew has to play Will Brodie on ball for the rest of the season.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
List management strategy wishlist

Get a priority pick and get 1 & 2
Get a 1st Rd pick so we can have Jack Martin fu** off
Massive rookie list cull - need to take some punts to find Saad like players that can contribute
Keep Sam Day and Ah Chee if the price is right
Walk Blakely through PSD - fu** Freo
Take a punt on Stephen Hill - need to try something
Draft midfielders
What pick range do you genuinely believe Martin is worth? And who are his rumoured suiters?

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
What pick range do you genuinely believe Martin is worth? And who are his rumoured suiters?

I think on reputation and age (and if you squint and ignore this year's form) you could get something in the range of 8-12.

I believe Kangaroos and Bulldogs are reported to be interested and would fall within that draft range.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Been putting bit of thought in to your list needs. One aspect I'm not sure on, is if your list has time for a highly rated kid to take two or three years to develop fully.

Basically I've been looking at the kids who will be ready to contribute from round one next year, and the two obvious kids are Matt Rowell and Will Gould.

So I was thinking Gould to the back 6, and move Luksoius to a wing. That way you have two classy ball users who can deliver the foot ball lace out or to a players advantage in the forward line.

Agree with everything you wrote.

Gould for whatever we get for Martin would be great and give us a ready made player who is a quality kick.

Devin Robertson or Schoenberg with the Lions pick would provide an immediate upgrade in the midfield.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I think on reputation and age (and if you squint and ignore this year's form) you could get something in the range of 8-12.

I believe Kangaroos and Bulldogs are reported to be interested and would fall within that draft range.
What if the offer is something like picks 7, 25 and 43 from the Bulldogs, and you send back Martin and the Lions first rounder?

I don't see Martin as being worth a mid first round pick.

Is he genuinely on par with Charlie Cameron who we traded pick 12 for?

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

As much as we are getting pumped each game.
Our backline isn’t the issue.

The backline would be one of the stingiest scored against in the comp per F50 entries conceded

It’s the way the balls been coming in with zero pressure time after time. And lose men running into the F50 that’s the problem.

Tighten up the midfield our backline will do its job.

Atm we are missing our 2 key backs in Thompson and Collins

Though at some point we do need to find the next Harbrow

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
What if the offer is something like picks 7, 25 and 43 from the Bulldogs, and you send back Martin and the Lions first rounder?

Cameron wasn't who is now when he was traded.

Martin's reputation and undoubted talent and the fact that he would be looking to go back to Melbourne may drive up his price.

I wouldn't trade for Martin if it cost us a 1st Rd pick based on what I'm seeing now but we traded in Weller for pick 2 so anything can happen.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

At his best Jack Martin is top 3 player at any club.

Finished top 3 in the Suns B &F twice and only just turned 24.
Entering his prime now..

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
As much as we are getting pumped each game.
Our backline isn’t the issue.

The backline would be one of the stingiest scored against in the comp per F50 entries conceded

It’s the way the balls been coming in with zero pressure time after time. And lose men running into the F50 that’s the problem.

Tighten up the midfield our backline will do its job.

Atm we are missing our 2 key backs in Thompson and Collins

Though at some point we do need to find the next Harbrow
I understand that, and I'm not suggesting the backline is the problem, but I'm looking at the long term list build and the kids available in this years draft.

If you add Rowell to Swallow and Brodie, that's a pretty handy on ball rotation, add Bowes as an inside outside mid. I'm not sure who from your current list is your 5th mid, for your inside mid rotations. Weller and Lukosius are your two best wing options.

I don't believe there's another mid outside the top 6 picks in this years draft worth taking ahead of Gould. Certainly none who will step in to play AFL from round one.

Deven Robertson is the other obvious mid who should play early, but he's not worth picking in the first 12 picks of the draft. Not if you already have Rowell and Brodie.

Back