VFL Game Day VFL Round 14: Coburg vs Essendon, Coburg City Oval, Sunday 07/07/19, 12:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Second plays second last in the upcoming match of the VFL, where the Dons are hoping to keep pressure on Richmond's top spot and Coburg will be hoping to rise into 12th place over Collingwood. Coburg's form hasn't been great, only winning 1 from their last 5 games, whilst Essendon have won 4 from 5 and are in some serious form, overcoming bogey sides Werribee and Port Melbourne the last two games. Essendon boast a 4-1 record against the Lions in their last 5 outings.

Coburg somewhat arrested poor form this week by beating Frankston by a goal in a tight contest where neither side lead by more that 14 points at any change. Marcus Lentini was his prolific self with 35 disposals in the middle of the ground whilst Josh Weightman had 2 goals amongst 22 disposals in the middle as well. Peter McEvoy was the main man inside 50 with 2 goals as well.

Essendon had a tightly fought contests against Werribee as well, winning by two goals in a game where neither side really got clear of the other. Disposal errors were tantamount for the bombers early which kept Werribee in the game but supremely accurate goal kicking was the key, kicking 16.3 with the only behind off the boot coming late in the last quarter. Will "Mingma" Snelling was very good with 20 disposals and the sealer whilst Heath Hocking, Danny Younan and Jordan Houlahan kicked 3 apiece for the Dons.

My heart is conflicted, and it says the best result for both sides would be Essendon by 33 (for my hearts sake anyway). Possible side:

Jordan Ridley - Michael Hartley - Matthew Dea
Nino Lazzaro - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Ben McNiece
Jake Long - David Myers - Brayden Ham
Josh Begley - Mitchell Brown - Mark Baguley
Jordan Houlahan - Noah Gown - Josh Begley
Riley Bowman - Will Snelling - Kobe Mutch

Heath Hocking - Aaron Heppell - Kurt Aylett - Danny Younan
Wilson Berry - Dylan Landt - Liam McKenna - Daniel Hanna
23P: Mason Fletcher

Last edited:
If Footscray beat Richmond on Saturday we can go top here. If they lose we'll have a 10 point gap on 4th and 5th if we win (which we should).

Tough games against Willy, Footscray and Geelong away as well as Richmond before the season ends. Top 4 is nearly sealed (by beating Coburg then North) but it's top 2 we want and a home final at Windy Hill beckons.

Mark Baguley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Jordan Ridley
Jake Long - Michael Hartley - Ben McNiece
Brayden Ham - Aaron Heppell - Kobe Mutch
Kurt Aylett - Noah Gown - Trent Mynott
Heath Hocking - Josh Begley - Jordan Houlahan
Riley Bowman - David Myers - Will Snelling

Wilson Berry - Luke Goetz - Bruno Laguda - Dylan Landt
Nino Lazzaro - Jake McQueen - Josh Tynan - Danny Younan
23P: Ben Huggard

Honestly hope the bottom 4 are the bench, but Goetz will likely play. Dea out with what I assume is an injury. Langford not even named despite getting dropped is telling, I suspect Stringer is still genuinely 50/50 but if he gets up it will be frustrating that Langers doesn't even get a game this weekend. Their side:

Ryan Exon - Liam Whelan - Tyson Lever
Jesse Corigliano - Harrison Nolan - Josh Guthrie
Lochie Dickson - Marcus Lentini - Jackson McDonald
Sam Binion - Mitchell Podhajski - Hedley Smith
Jack Murphy - Peter McEvoy - Steve Stroobants
Adam Swierzbiolek - Luke Bunker - Josh Weightman

Fletcher Carroll - Will Donaghey - Brodie Foster - Jonty Neaves
Kane Noonan - Tyson Old - Ben Reddick - Lachlan Watkins
23P: Mark Baker

I think Neaves, Foster, Carroll and Watkins probably play from their bench. Expect Younan to cop plenty from the Coburg crowd. Kinda a bad week for Dea to miss as it would let Hartley play forward to occupy Nolan. Steve Stroobants is a former Bendigo player and would have played alongside Myers once or twice.

Last edited:
As far as the other relevant VFL game for us on the weekend, Footscray have named 16 AFL listed players including Mitch Wallis, Dale Morris and Lin Jong whereas Richmond have named 13 including Dan Butler and Noah Balta. Footscray win/we win and we go top. Richmond win/we win and we have a 10 point gap to 4th and 5th. Unfortunately Williamstown have Frankston so we can't really secure a top 2 spot with a win but top 4 will be almost secure.

Berry, Laguda, Landt and McQueen released to local footy. Oddly enough their entire bench is as well. Including the 23Rd player.

Would like to see us ruck Hartley for a reasonable portion of the match (30-40%). Just to let us know officially either way whether we have another option

Would like to see us ruck Hartley for a reasonable portion of the match (30-40%). Just to let us know officially either way whether we have another option
We’re playing 2 VFL listed rucks.

We’re playing 2 VFL listed rucks.

I know. And I’m aware that for the success of the VFL, Hartley wouldn’t ruck in the slightest.

But it’s also how we played Hartley forward for close to a half last week in the VFL. For the success of the VFL team, he’d stay back. But we have to consider the AFL team. We’re rucking Clarke and McKernan for the next 5-6 weeks in the 1sts unless we can find another option. I think we owe it to ourselves to at least see if we have one.

I know. And I’m aware that for the success of the VFL, Hartley wouldn’t ruck in the slightest.

But it’s also how we played Hartley forward for close to a half last week in the VFL. For the success of the VFL team, he’d stay back. But we have to consider the AFL team. We’re rucking Clarke and McKernan for the next 5-6 weeks in the 1sts unless we can find another option. I think we owe it to ourselves to at least see if we have one.
Like I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, if there was a two week stint you could do it in it would be these two but it's unlikely to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back