2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic crowd considering the swans are not going to well.
We were going, average. Not great, not bad. Likewise Essendon. It might have been 10th v 12th or whatever it was, but it was a big game for both teams, sort of last chance saloon elimination final and both teams had winning recent form and thought they could win.

Still, the facts speak for themselves. Not many 60K crowds for interstate teams in Melbourne.

We were going, average. Not great, not bad. Likewise Essendon. It might have been 10th v 12th or whatever it was, but it was a big game for both teams, sort of last chance saloon elimination final and both teams had winning recent form and thought they could win.

Still, the facts speak for themselves. Not many 60K crowds for interstate teams in Melbourne.
True, not sure if there were many Swans though.

Looked like there were a stack of them to me
They held sway in the bottom tier of the Ponsford stand today. Probably 80% were Swans fans there. Good to see them coming in strong numbers. There was also a smattering around the rest of the ground. I don’t think they had 1/4 of the grounds support though in my opinion.

Comparing their support to smaller Vic clubs is interesting. I actually don’t think their (or Brisbane) support is as good as a Kangaroos or Bulldogs. I’d say their away support is about 75-80% of these smaller clubs away support at the MCG. My guess is if there were around 10,000 Bloods fans there today, then I think the Dogs and Roos would bring 12-13,000 like for like form lines.

However there’s no doubt more of them go to the MCG than Marvel. But that applies to Bombers fans too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn’t really try and estimate the size of the crowd of the Swans fans today, rather just the 60k and that’s it. Well done football fans!
There’s nothing wrong with digging a little deeper and analysing the Swans support in Victoria relative to other smaller clubs (and Brisbane). If we simply just stick to reporting the crowd figures it will get boring pretty quickly. As long as it doesn’t degenerate into a Richmond V Collingwood thing I think it’s all good. “The answer was not out of order.. There is no point of order. The minister will resume his seat!”.

After all this is a crowds thread!

There’s nothing wrong with digging a little deeper and analysing the Swans support in Victoria relative to other smaller clubs (and Brisbane). If we simply just stick to reporting the crowd figures it will get boring pretty quickly. As long as it doesn’t degenerate into a Richmond V Collingwood thing I think it’s all good. “The answer was not out of order.. There is no point of order. The minister will resume his seat!”.

Crowd splits destroy these threads though, it all becomes a too and fro...

Notwithstanding Sydney do attract significantly larger crowds on average then any other non Victorian clubs.

Tigers fans really do love their interstate trips there.

Falling nicely in the winter holidays helps out greatly. Gold Coast should always play Vic clubs at home this time of year.

That’s when Collingwood got what now look like monster crowds up there of 24k & 23k. It’s a very enticing trip in mid July and it helps a struggling club out enormously.

No Richmond have never drawn over 60,000 v any interstate side. Only Collingwood, Essendon and hawthorn are the only Victorian clubs to draw over 60,000 v interstate clubs. Essendon have done this 3 times all against the swans. Hawthorn have done is 4 times all against the swans and Collingwood have done this 5 times 2 times against the swans, twice against the eagles and once against Brisbane
No, but Richmond did draw 95,000 v.'s GWS to a prelim a few years back.

Richmond drew 58,000 v.'s Sydney in 2017 before we went on our premiership run. At that stage of the year Richmond were 4th and Sydney 14th.

Perhaps Richmond being crap for the first 20-25 years of WCE/Sydney/Lions/Adelaide/Port's existence might have something to do with underwhelming crowds versus the interstate clubs.

That's a cracking crowd for Essendon v.'s Sydney though. A reminder of the drawing power of Essendon when they get their act together.

Still a massive crowd for two average sides. Don’t think Richmond ever drew that against Sydney.

Great crowd for 2 teams out of the 8...

Just on Richmond V Swans>
2017 we did get 59K, we were 4th and they were 14th.
Other years 2013 & 2015 SCG
2014 at the G (RD 14) we were 16th
2018 at Marvel on a Thurs night 44K which was was excellent (1st V 2nd) had that game been at the G it would've easily got over 60K (would've pushed 65K) if u compare it to the year before 59K 4th v 14th
2019 again we played them at Marvel

Last edited:
There wouldn’t have been 15,000 Swans fans there today. No more than Brisbane back in round 4 in my opinion.

I've said that before too, the red and white stand out and 10K swans can make a lot of noise. Even if there are 15K members geez not all 15K are going to turn up. Must say it was a great bomber turnout.

Last edited:
No, but Richmond did draw 95,000 v.'s GWS to a prelim a few years back.

Richmond drew 58,000 v.'s Sydney in 2017 before we went on our premiership run. At that stage of the year Richmond were 4th and Sydney 14th.

Perhaps Richmond being crap for the first 20-25 years of WCE/Sydney/Lions/Adelaide/Port's existence might have something to do with underwhelming crowds versus the interstate clubs.

That's a cracking crowd for Essendon v.'s Sydney though. A reminder of the drawing power of Essendon when they get their act together.

Spot on mate, well articulated!
Yes the 59K V swans in 2017 was a damn good crowd but ess crowd today was excellent.
We shouldn't have been fixtured to play swans at marvel in 2018 and 2019, that 2018 game at marvel when we were 1st and they were 2nd would've been massive at the G not only for tigers and swans fans but neutrals too.

Its unbelievable how many can't comprehend how bad we have been for 35 years. Came good in last 5 (heck 2014 at the halfway mark were 2 wins and 9 losses) 2016 we didn't make finals. It's hard to establish rivalries with interstate teams when we have been crap since they joined.

We have West Coast in RD 22 and Lions in RD 23 weather permitting both will be very highly attended.

Last edited:

it should be noted that the Kangas/Dogs have 15ish games in Victoria while we/Lions have about 6ish each year. It is why when we do play in Melbourne, we do turn out. We don't get to see our teams live that often.

But the sad reality is that South/Roys were moved away from there homeland for a reason. They were the smallest clubs in Victoria during their eras.

Spot on mate, well articulated!
Yes the 59K V swans in 2017 was a damn good crowd but ess crowd today was excellent.
We shouldn't have been fixtured to play swans at marvel in 2018 and 2019, that 2018 game at marvel when we were 1st and they were 2nd would've been massive at the G not only for tigers and swans fans but neutrals too.

Its unbelievable how many can't comprehend how bad we have been for 35 years. Came good in last 5 (heck 2014 at the halfway mark were 2 wins and 9 losses) 2016 we didn't make finals. It's hard to establish rivalries with interstate teams when we have been crap since they joined.

We have West Coast in RD 22 and Lions in RD 23 weather permitting both will be very highly attended.
Yep. A lost opportunity for Richmond with both Marvel games.

Richmond vs West Coast in particular should be 55K+. A high drawing slot in 1:10pm Sunday with 2 potential top 4 teams playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back