Rumour Beams move back to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

His grief over his father's death has been well documented in the media. Comes a time when you must accept and move on - overdue in his case.
That's what makes it a mental health problem. The fact that he still dwelling on it. Doesn't mean it is the underlying cause but clearly it's sits in the front of his mind and is not dealing with it in the way a large percentage would.

Not at all. Compare how much ordinary living costs is as a % of their take home pay. Yes, Eddie will have more expensive tastes and more expensive toys, but you can be quite certain that the amount that he has left over is bucket loads compared to the people on $80k. It’s not a reasonable method of comparison.

Also consider that Eddie has a wife and two teenage kids, who (given that they'd be accustomed to a certain standard of living after years of high pay packets from Eddie) wouldn't be cheap, either. Not to reduce them to commodities, but their "upkeep" would cost just as much if not more than his own.

I'm sure Eddie is very comfortable, but I don't think he's at the level of wealth where he can really afford to give seven figures away.

That's what makes it a mental health problem. The fact that he still dwelling on it. Doesn't mean it is the underlying cause but clearly it's sits in the front of his mind and is not dealing with it in the way a large percentage would.
What are you talking about?

There is no set time for grieving. And grieving is a natural part of every human life. It's been central to every civilisation and each religion, race, person does it differently. Society these days is afraid of any negative emotion. The guy's dad died and 'dwelling on it' is normal. He was a central figure. It takes some people a while to get over it, but it's not abnormal or strange. And it definitely isn't a mental illness... which... is what Beams is essentially saying he has.

You grieve, you feel sad, it's part of life.

He shouldn't be using the mental health trope. That's what it is now, too. Grief is not mental illness.

What are you talking about?

There is no set time for grieving. And grieving is a natural part of every human life. It's been central to every civilisation and each religion, race, person does it differently. Society these days is afraid of any negative emotion. The guy's dad died and 'dwelling on it' is normal. He was a central figure. It takes some people a while to get over it, but it's not abnormal or strange. And it definitely isn't a mental illness... which... is what Beams is essentially saying he has.

You grieve, you feel sad, it's part of life.

He shouldn't be using the mental health trope. That's what it is now, too. Grief is not mental illness.
Yes grief is normal but when it consumes your life and stops you from doing everyday tasks it is a bit beyond normal.

His grief over his father's death has been well documented in the media. Comes a time when you must accept and move on - overdue in his case.
s**t post.

Grief is individual, there's no time frame for it.

s**t post.

Grief is individual, there's no time frame for it.
OK... I think I can survive your abuse for merely expressing an opinion. I guess I'm old fashioned and believe grief is inevitable in life, should be borne privately and not trotted out as an excuse for mental health issues and bad behaviour like allegedly gambling away, er, a LOT of money.

OK... I think I can survive your abuse for merely expressing an opinion. I guess I'm old fashioned and believe grief is inevitable in life, should be borne privately and not trotted out as an excuse for mental health issues and bad behaviour like allegedly gambling away, er, a LOT of money.

I mean sure, thats your opinion but doesnt make it any more valid.

Unless you can transport yourself into Beams and go through what he has you dont really have much to argue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean sure, thats your opinion but doesnt make it any more valid.

Unless you can transport yourself into Beams and go through what he has you dont really have much to argue.
Err, I think I can say I've sen a few of life's problems. My brother suicided when I was 14. Good enough for you?

Losing large sums of money and not being able to stop or control your behaviour is a mental health issue whether you like it or not. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. If Beams or people close to him do not wish for this to be made public, for whatever reason, I do not see the harm in the media honouring this request. Not sure why people always want blood or to see someone laid completely bare when they are at their most vulnerable.
Greed, losing a heap of money and then losing more when attempting to make your money back is not a mental health issue.

Err, I think I can say I've sen a few of life's problems. My brother suicided when I was 14. Good enough for you?

And everyone copes with things differently. Youve obviously gone through a traumatic event and I wouldnt suggest you "should just be over it by now and not use mental illness as a way to explain away your continued grieving."

But hey, not all of us are so understanding I guess.

And everyone copes with things differently. Youve obviously gone through a traumatic event and I wouldnt suggest you "should just be over it by now and not use mental illness as a way to explain away your continued grieving."

But hey, not all of us are so understanding I guess.
Grieving gives way to sorrow. Lifelong.
Life is too short for continued grieving.

Grieving gives way to sorrow. Lifelong.
Life is too short for continued grieving.

Sure, and I agree, but thats your opinion based on how you dealt with tragic experiences.

Not everyone reacts, recovers and moves on the same way.

Sure, and I agree, but thats your opinion based on how you dealt with tragic experiences.

Not everyone reacts, recovers and moves on the same way.
Yeah.
Especially when you've got a powerful AFL footy club, an adoring public and a multimillionaire benefactor (allegedly Eddie) paying your debts, in your corner. Why should you?

Yeah.
Especially when you've got a powerful AFL footy club, an adoring public and a multimillionaire benefactor (allegedly Eddie) paying your debts, in your corner. Why should you?

Ok. I get it. You think he should be able to cope better than the average person because he has those 3 factors in his corner.

Majak Daw has the same and he threw himself off a bridge.

But hey, lets not let other examples come into play here. Beams just has to get over it.

Yes grief is normal but when it consumes your life and stops you from doing everyday tasks it is a bit beyond normal.
No.

Grief is a part of life.

Losing a child and wanting to kill yourself? Normal.

You guys honestly would let a footballer * your wife then say it's okay because he's depressed. Like cuckold Brownless.

Ok. I get it. You think he should be able to cope better than the average person because he has those 3 factors in his corner.

Majak Daw has the same and he threw himself off a bridge.

But hey, lets not let other examples come into play here. Beams just has to get over it.
lol because everyone example is the same?

Huge difference between a South Sudanese man who attempted suicide – literally – and a bloke who has had big gambling rumours suddenly stepping aside and using the AFL's favourite excuse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back