Roast Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

He just simply needs to stop jogging from contest to contest in a contested situation.
Albeit a lot of midfielders in the past for us have done the same.
Scott Thompson did it for how many years? Haha

Yeah he jogs around the ground, but other key issues are complete lack of 2nd efforts and lack of defensive running. Watch him after a contest. He stops, and that is not good enough. Deserves to remain in the 2s until he sorts himself out and starts to contribute.

Yeah he jogs around the ground, but other key issues are complete lack of 2nd efforts and lack of defensive running. Watch him after a contest. He stops, and that is not good enough. Deserves to remain in the 2s until he sorts himself out and starts to contribute.
This is clearly a mental more than a physical issue.

Hence he needs a decent break from AFL til his headspace is sorted.

I don't think the club intended to play him last week til we had injures as wanted to give him 4 weeks out of the AFL. Should have played Polholke or Jones instead.

i don't know what has happened to him, and neither does anyone else.

revising his past career or just deciding he's no good now doesn't seem reasonable or accurate.

we as a club are now making him out to be a scrubber who doesn't play the way we want, aside from anything else - if that were true - why recruit him at all?

could it be we've either mishandled him or recruited him in error? JR knew exactly who he was, having been his agent

At a minimum I think there must be a disconnect between front and back office.

Godden mentioned that Pyke has taken over from the midfield coaches on dealing with Gibbs personally. Does all his meetings with him, rather than the line coaches and such. Doesn't want potential mixed messages and for Gibbs to hear everything directly from him.

That doesn’t sound great. Either there’s an issue with the message being relayed incorrectly or Gibbs is misunderstanding what’s being said. Sounds like it’s getting a little toxic.

That doesn’t sound great. Either there’s an issue with the message being relayed incorrectly or Gibbs is misunderstanding what’s being said. Sounds like it’s getting a little toxic.
The "defensive issues" messaging is supposedly coming from Campo, you wouldn't think he'd be able to overrule Pyke on selection, but he does carry a lot of weight at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its gotta be so frustrating. He is so valuable when he is on and playing well - but I truly don't know what they can do.

You cant go on SANFL form - he is so damn talented that he will perform even if he gives 30% effort.

He must be looking sharp on the training track as well - or else I doubt they would select him.

From the outside perspective it seems as though he is fit, healthy, sharp on the track and then when he gets to AFL level just sh!ts the bed.

I guess my thinking would be to give him 5 weeks out and then get him in for the West Coast, Collingwood and possibly Bulldog games - assess the form of him for finals.

We are a much better side if we can go into the finals with a 2018 version of Gibbs. Would be a massive boost for the finals.
I agree. We have had a lot of players up and down in form. Not dropping them but yoyo’ing him between sanfl and afl seems silly. But I have never coached and won’t pretend to know more than Windows is better than Linux.

So I reckon we should keep him in AFL a few weeks in a row so he can settle into position and give us return on investment

I don't think the club intended to play him last week til we had injures as wanted to give him 4 weeks out of the AFL. Should have played Polholke or Jones instead.
Where we are now, at the end of the year we need to pay out his contract and piss him off. He's just a 30 year old list clogger now.

I’d rather be playing Gibbs instead of Douglas right now, he needs to be backed in instead of this yo-yoing rubbish. But then again I’m not our selection committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where we are now, at the end of the year we need to pay out his contract and piss him off. He's just a 30 year old list clogger now.
If he can get his life in order then he still holds value, if he can't..... then yep.

Write this one up as a big balls up.

I’d give him another preseason, we’re paying him anyway. Improve on his best time trial results or he’ll be delisted prior to round 1. Pride is his only path to redemption, we need to engage that.

Poholke was not available and Jones I suspect may be struggling a bit with the physicality of the step up.

Agreed. He was actually pretty decent last year and I don't think this sudden decline is due to aging.

I was going to put it down to his pre-season injury troubles that he might not have properly recovered from. But it could be a more personal issue
Something is affecting him personally- he looks depressed/disinterested. We're obviously not privy, but something's up.

It’s only obvious in hindsight. Back then nobody on BF was pumping their chest and claiming the Gibbs deal would be a bust.

Also, comparing the Gibbs deal to the Lever deal is a superficial debate. Lever was handily and easily replaced by Doedee. Gibbs was an acquisition that was needed at the time due to our midfield lacking a solid presence with good skills.
I think you need to go back and read mine and a few others comments re bryce gibbs. I mentioned for 18 months prior to him being traded to us that we shouldn't even be chasing him full stop but if we did he was worth a 2nd round pick at best. After the first trade fell over I stupidly believed it was the end of this Gibbs nonsense. I stated infinitum that if he wanted to truly play for us he would have decided to come to adelaide when he was out of contract. Not the type to say i told you so but myself and a few others have been proven to be spot in our assessment. I only wish our list management team had the same foresight. As it stands it will cost us at least a million of salary cap to pay out this guy end of the year unless we can get some stupid club to take him on. Incidentally the Gibbs trade may have potentially also cost us 2 to 3 players that have subsequently left the club. One could say an expensive debacle which to this point no one has taken responsibility for or suffered any penalty for their incompetence. Instead the club has badly handled Gibbs this year and pretty much embarrassed him. If he is having psychological issues which I have no knowledge of the club should come out and say he is having a break re Dane Beams. If he isn't you leave him in the sanfl until his form warrants selection. The constant yo yo selection has been pretty ordinary. Club made an error in trading him and needs to sort it out correctly by moving Gibbs on end of the year.

Last edited:
I agree. We have had a lot of players up and down in form. Not dropping them but yoyo’ing him between sanfl and afl seems silly. But I have never coached and won’t pretend to know more than Windows is better than Linux.

So I reckon we should keep him in AFL a few weeks in a row so he can settle into position and give us return on investment
I’d quite like to see him play as a lead up forward. Not quite ready to give up on the investment the club made and he can’t be any worse than what our forwards are dishing up at present.

I’d give him another preseason, we’re paying him anyway. Improve on his best time trial results or he’ll be delisted prior to round 1. Pride is his only path to redemption, we need to engage that.
I’d also give him a new role.

He has fully defined what it means to be Bryce Gibbs the midfielder. Telling him he needs to improve his defensive running won’t help even the thousandth time. He is fully programmed and doing what he does the way he knows how. We dropped him after a 27 possession game.

I recall Gibbs has one of the best tackle efficiency ratings in the league. I think he intends to be a good team player.

I would say either half forward or lockdown defender. Probably half forward. Something where he can learn a new role from now to the end of preseason, and learn it the way Don Pyke wants him to play it.

I’d rather be playing Gibbs instead of Douglas right now, he needs to be backed in instead of this yo-yoing rubbish. But then again I’m not our selection committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or rather than both a guy in the SANFL getting 30 possessions a match and high tackle rates.

At 30 years of age I would quite like to see him never play for the senior side again. He is now a peripheral player and we need his position(s) to blood youngsters. We need to get the 30 to 40 games into young players quick.

Cut our losses. We have had some good trades over the last decade, this wasn't one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back