Strategy Aaron Naughton - Key Defender or Key Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

When Aaron says he is a defender and that’s where he wants to play that’s what we should do

We played Tom Boyd where he didn’t want to play and how did that work out long term?
Got a link? I read most dogs stuff and hear a bit through different agents but don't recall hearing him say this so unambiguously. If he was unhappy I'm not sure why he'd sign a long term contract.

Got a link? I read most dogs stuff and hear a bit through different agents but don't recall hearing him say this so unambiguously. If he was unhappy I'm not sure why he'd sign a long term contract.
At the start of the year (after 2-3 games) he said 'I feel more comfortable there' which some people interpreted as 'I prefer the backline'. I thought it was a natural answer given at that stage he'd hardly played forward and had spent both AFL pre-seasons in defence.

Given he signed a contract extension of four years a few games after that I'd suggest at the very lease he doesn't mind playing forward and may even prefer it now.

The blokes you.mentioned had a far more functional forwardline
"far more functional forward line"? Essendon 2009 under Matthew Knights a far more functional forward line? GWS in their debut AFL season? Please.
and weren't asked to play as the number 1 key forward so I disagree.
You wouldn't know who were and weren't the #1 key forwards for those teams at the time.
Also they didnt hsve as big of an impact as Naughtons game v Richmond or his second half against Brisbane
You kidding? Michael Hurley kicked 4 goals in an end of season do-or-die game against the reigning premiers Hawthorn to decide who makes the finals.
(who he gave the AA CHB to be Harris Andrews a bath).
Harris Andrews was never AA.
Also those blokes have played forward there whole Junior career where as naughton didn't get pushed forward until the end of pre season
Completely wrong. Hurley was a defender in his junior years and Naughton did occasionally get tried forward in his youth, all players get moved around a bit when they're young.

At the start of the year (after 2-3 games) he said 'I feel more comfortable there' which some people interpreted as 'I prefer the backline'. I thought it was a natural answer given at that stage he'd hardly played forward and had spent both AFL pre-seasons in defence.

Given he signed a contract extension of four years a few games after that I'd suggest at the very lease he doesn't mind playing forward and may even prefer it now.

No

After the tigers game he said he hopes he returns to the backline.

There was no interpretation required they were his words.

No

After the tigers game he said he hopes he returns to the backline.

There was no interpretation required they were his words.
Link? Can't find any reference to this at all.

Link? Can't find any reference to this at all.

Interview on field directly after the game

I’m not good at finding links to stuff like that but that is what he said if you can find and confirm.

Then a week later the club had obviously spoken to him and he gave the line you quoted

When Aaron says he is a defender and that’s where he wants to play that’s what we should do

We played Tom Boyd where he didn’t want to play and how did that work out long term?
If Naughton was in defense tonight the game would have been over by quarter time. He’s easily been the most influential forward on the ground for any side tonight.

You have absolutely no idea about the game. Its like pulling teeth reading the s**t you post on a daily basis 😂😂

If Naughton was in defense tonight the game would have been over by quarter time. He’s easily been the most influential forward on the ground for any side tonight.

You have absolutely no idea about the game. Its like pulling teeth reading the s**t you post on a daily basis 😂😂

Then don’t read it it’s fairly simple

I seriously love how much I bother you so keep flapping

Funny how you waited days to say anything and haven’t been able to say anything for weeks

Hahahahahhaha hilarious you made my night again

Going to have another meltdown like last time?

Mwah

Then don’t read it it’s fairly simple

I seriously love how much I bother you so keep flapping

Funny how you waited days to say anything and haven’t been able to say anything for weeks

Hahahahahhaha hilarious you made my night again

Going to have another meltdown like last time?

Mwah
Naughton hadn’t been hitting the score board in recent weeks. But had been playing his role and giving us structure. Imagine Schache as our #1 KPF If we moved Naughton to defense?

Naughton hadn’t been hitting the score board in recent weeks. But had been playing his role and giving us structure. Imagine Schache as our #1 KPF If we moved Naughton to defense?

NOW you want to have a discussion?

Lol yeah ok

Go and enjoy the game we are going well don’t worry about me coz I don’t care about you

Night

NOW you want to have a discussion?

Lol yeah ok

Go and enjoy the game we are going well don’t worry about me coz I don’t care about you

Night
Unfortunately I’ve been busy with life. And the only chance I get to check bigfooty is on a Saturday night.

I’ve said all year Naughton has no choice but to be our #1 forward because of the cattle we have in that position. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of your greatest comments ever MD 😂.

What quote are we going to make up tonight??

We win and all some people can do is bother about me

hahahahaha great win by the boys enjoy the beers gents

It's the pro-forwarders' turn to be on their high horse.

I'll convert only after he sustains consistency.

It's the pro-forwarders' turn to be on their high horse.

I'll convert only after he sustains consistency.

My philosophy is pretty simple, marks are worth more forward than in defence. So our best marking player plays forward. We are fine bringing it to ground in defence and running it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back