FitzroyPete

Jan 22, 2018
East Perth (WAFL), Fitzroy (VAFA)
Thanks, Ron, I did see the 3rd XVIIIs listed in the Footy Record.
I might go with J Gazzard and E Gleeson for now and just maybe McCrorie might turn up if I can locate a 1955 Fitzroy annual report (easier said than done (-:} ).

BartBart

Mar 30, 2008
WCE's team tonight has the most players with Aboriginal heritage I can remember for a while.

Is it the most we've had play in a game?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
WCE's team tonight has the most players with Aboriginal heritage I can remember for a while.

Is it the most we've had play in a game?

Five equals the club record from 6 other games: 2000 R3, 1997 R3/5/8/10, 1990 R10.

Richmond also had five today, which is a club record.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
Thanks, Ron, I did see the 3rd XVIIIs listed in the Footy Record.
I might go with J Gazzard and E Gleeson for now and just maybe McCrorie might turn up if I can locate a 1955 Fitzroy annual report (easier said than done (-:} ).

Pete... I think we may have our McCrorie! I got this from an Age clipping from 19 March 1957. It's a Fitzroy pre-season report and mentions "third eighteen wingman John McCrorie, 19, 5 ft. 6 in., 10.2"

I hope this completes the puzzle for you. Thanks for the fun task!

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
35Daicos sorry I didn't even see your post at the top! Not trying to take the shine off your spot at all. In fact it would have made it quicker for me had I read it ;)
No worries at all! I think FitzroyPete might have missed it as well!!

At least your find should confirm the name.

FitzroyPete

Jan 22, 2018
Many thanks, 35Daicos, I completely missed it.
I never did do well in school and uni exams that required me to read carefully.
There wasn't much of John McCrorie by the looks, but you've completed the jigsaw for me.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Many thanks, 35Daicos, I completely missed it.
I never did do well in school and uni exams that required me to read carefully.
There wasn't much of John McCrorie by the looks, but you've completed the jigsaw for me.
The quarter-by-quarter scores for the 1955 Under-19s Grand Final (and a definite final score) still haven't shown up. They must be out there somewhere, not sure where!

FitzroyPete

Jan 22, 2018
I haven't found 'em as yet, 35Daicos.
It's a shame that most newspapers on Trove finish stop at 1954.
The August 27, 1955, edition of The Sporting Globe would be the answer to my prayers!

The Swert

May 3, 2009
Carlton sit in 17th with 3w-12l and a percentage of 81.8%.

Is this the highest percentage ever for a team in 17th? Or for a team with a 3w-12l record?

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Carlton sit in 17th with 3w-12l and a percentage of 81.8%.

Is this the highest percentage ever for a team in 17th? Or for a team with a 3w-12l record?
No to both! In 2017 North Melbourne (17th) had a percentage of 93.36 after Rd. 14. They had a 4-9 record at that stage.

Brisbane's percentage was 88.9 after Rd. 16 2018, when they had a 3-12 record. They were in 16th place. There's quite a few cases of teams with a 3-12 record and a % better than Carlton's.

Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
The August 27, 1955, edition of The Sporting Globe would be the answer to my prayers!

Final score, best players and goalkickers here

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Final score, best players and goalkickers here

I sent an email to the AFL's Col Hutchinson and Steve Rodgers last night asking if they had the quarter-by-quarter scores in their records. Both were kind enough to reply this morning, but didn't have the answer, though it was suggested that they would have more of a look.

FitzroyPete

Jan 22, 2018
Thanks very much, the croucher and particularly 35Daicos, for your efforts.
I had thought of contacting Col Hutchinson further down the track.
Interestingly, the Fitzroy Under-19s 1955 Grand Final score in the press of the day was 7.12 (54), yet the AFL Record Season Guide has upgraded it to 7.14 (56), increasing the winning margin from 8 to 10 points.
This amendment suggests the quarter-by-quarter scores are out there somewhere.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks very much, the croucher and particularly 35Daicos, for your efforts.
I had thought of contacting Col Hutchinson further down the track.
Interestingly, the Fitzroy Under-19s 1955 Grand Final score in the press of the day was 7.12 (54), yet the AFL Record Season Guide has upgraded it to 7.14 (56), increasing the winning margin from 8 to 10 points.
This amendment suggests the quarter-by-quarter scores are out there somewhere.
Good news! I've just had another response from Steve Rodgers and they have got this sorted out in fine fashion. Really good effort by the AFL guys. This is what the main part of Steve's email has to say:

We had a stroke of luck. In the Sporting Globe, there is a description of play, where it was noted that:

At quarter time, South led by 5 points.

At half time, South led by 3 points.

At 3/4 time, South led by 7 points.

That's backed up by the quarter by quarter scores, which I took a shot of

(first shot).

You'll note that - as you already alluded to - that scoring block gives a Fitzroy final score of 7.12.54.

Then, having a look at the South Melbourne local paper, their report virtually verifies that (second shot) by also giving that score.

We noted also, that the South Melbourne Annual Report, specifically speaks of an 8-point loss, by their Under 19 team in the Grand Final.

To sum up, at the AFL today, we've amended the Fitzroy final score, from 7.14.56 to 7.12.54.
==================================================================================================

FitzroyPete

Jan 22, 2018
Thanks a billion, 35Daicos, you and Steve Rodgers are both absolute champions.
When I next visit Melbourne I'll let you know as you deserve a good few beers, along with Ron the Bear, Gibbsy and the croucher (champions all).

FitzroyPete

Jan 22, 2018
Gibbsy, I forgot to thank you a couple of days ago for The Age newspaper article mentioning John McCrorie.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
Gibbsy, I forgot to thank you a couple of days ago for The Age newspaper article mentioning John McCrorie.

My pleasure mate. You've inspired me to go digging for qtr-by-qtr/goals/bests from all the Reserves and Under-19s grand finals. I've started at 1999 (the year of the last reserves season) and worked my way back, currently up to 1979 and have about 98% complete data which is cool.

Hawk_francais

Sep 20, 2015
Lot's spoken about a 'triple double' in AFL like in basketball. Seems mostly pointless, as no stat can be used to fairly compare defenders, midfielders and forwards.

If limited to just one position, it could be more interesting though. Thinking about midfielders, the complete game in my opinion would be a mix of inside ball-winning (clearances), effective outside delivery (inside 50s) and defensive pressure (tackles - albeit Bob Murphy insists that tackles by midfielders should be re-labelled 'fall-on-top-ofs' - I think there's reason in that argument).

I went hunting for players who I thought might have recorded double digits in clearances AND inside 50s AND tackles within a single game. Most obvious candidates of Dustin Martin, Gary Ablett, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood, Tom Mitchell, Sam Mitchell, Dane Swan, Matt Priddis, Nathan Buckley, Adam Goodes, James Hird, Michael Voss, Simon Black: I've had a look and none have managed it, although most have come very very close.

Has it ever been done? I like searching for it because while it's not particularly special to get 10 in any of those categories (although a good effort), it seems nigh on impossible to get all three at once. Help me search!

Dec 21, 2005
Lot's spoken about a 'triple double' in AFL like in basketball. Seems mostly pointless, as no stat can be used to fairly compare defenders, midfielders and forwards.

If limited to just one position, it could be more interesting though. Thinking about midfielders, the complete game in my opinion would be a mix of inside ball-winning (clearances), effective outside delivery (inside 50s) and defensive pressure (tackles - albeit Bob Murphy insists that tackles by midfielders should be re-labelled 'fall-on-top-ofs' - I think there's reason in that argument).

I went hunting for players who I thought might have recorded double digits in clearances AND inside 50s AND tackles within a single game. Most obvious candidates of Dustin Martin, Gary Ablett, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood, Tom Mitchell, Sam Mitchell, Dane Swan, Matt Priddis, Nathan Buckley, Adam Goodes, James Hird, Michael Voss, Simon Black: I've had a look and none have managed it, although most have come very very close.

Has it ever been done? I like searching for it because while it's not particularly special to get 10 in any of those categories (although a good effort), it seems nigh on impossible to get all three at once. Help me search!

Not a triple double of any sort, but your post reminded me of this stat that was posted on the dogs board. Kind of the stats you might look at to consider a complete midfielder perhaps...?

In Season 2019 thus far, 10 players have averaged over 25 possessions per game and kicked 10+ Goals;

Dangerfield, Coniglio, Tim Kelly, Duncan, Sheed, Dusty, Bont, Henderson, Sloane and Cripps.

When you add in 10+ Goal Assists that number shrinks to 5;

Danger, Coniglio, Kelly, Dusty and Bont

60+ Tackles and we are down to 3;

Danger, Kelly, Bont

90+ Clearances, 2 remain;

Kelly, Bont

75+ Indside 50's, One man;

Bont

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011

I can see three cases of players with 10+ clearances, inside 50s and tackles in a match:
Chris Judd - Carlton vs. Richmond 2011 Rd. 15 - 11, 10, 10 (CL, IF, TK)
Andrew Swallow - North Melbourne vs. Port Adelaide - 2012 Rd. 8 - 10, 10, 12
Dayne Zorko - Brisbane vs. Sydney - 2019 Rd. 7 - 11, 11, 11

I haven't read much or heard much about a triple double in AFL so not sure what Lots means in terms of volume of discussions.

However if you haven't seen it there is this quadruple double thread on Big Footy main board going since 2007.