Strategy Aaron Naughton - Key Defender or Key Forward?

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We win and all some people can do is bother about me

hahahahaha great win by the boys enjoy the beers gents
I heard Tim English mutter something under his breath after the game MD. Can you translate it for me? Think he said something about not wanting to play ruck. Can you confirm ?

Samael

Debutant
Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My philosophy is pretty simple, marks are worth more forward than in defence. So our best marking player plays forward. We are fine bringing it to ground in defence and running it out.
By that logic, Richmond should've been playing Alex Rance up forward. Hell, why don't we move Crozier up forward? After all, those big marks he's been taking all year would be much more valuable up forward.

I have an even simpler philosophy: consistency is worth more than inconsistency. Yes, Naughton had a great game, and if he can back it up, week after week, I have no issue keeping him up forward. If not, I prefer him in defence.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
By that logic, Richmond should've been playing Alex Rance up forward. Hell, why don't we move Crozier up forward? After all, those big marks he's been taking all year would be much more valuable up forward.

I have an even simpler philosophy: consistency is worth more than inconsistency. Yes, Naughton had a great game, and if he can back it up, week after week, I have no issue keeping him up forward. If not, I prefer him in defence.

well, he wont. hes still learning AFL, let alone forward craft. But hes not going to learn to be the elite key forward we need playing in defence. English isnt going to learn to be an AFL ruckman playing in the VFL.

We suck it up now and it pays off in spades in 2-3 years.

Samael

Debutant
Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
well, he wont. hes still learning AFL, let alone forward craft. But hes not going to learn to be the elite key forward we need playing in defence. English isnt going to learn to be an AFL ruckman playing in the VFL.
Richmond could've applied the same principle to Rance, and if he'd turned into a 30-40 goal a year forward, they'd claim it was a successful move, without realizing he could've become one of the greatest defenders of all time.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty simple, play Naughton back tonight and Cordy forward, pretty sure we lose.

19yo, won't be a match winning every week. In 2-3 years after bulks up and improves kicking, he'll be one of the best forwards in the game. Exciting times!

puppey

Rookie
Jan 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The difference in the Rance equation is that Richmond already had Jack Riewoldt on their list, who is arguably a smarter footballer, and almost certainly a better marker of the ball. I understand the comparison you're trying to make, but I don't think it works in your favour here.

For what it's worth, I think he'll become elite regardless what end of the ground he eventually makes his own. However, given how hard it is historically to find an above average key forward outside of the first round versus inside, unless we either trade for or utilise some high draft capital on another key forward, I think he stays forward.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Richmond could've applied the same principle to Rance, and if he'd turned into a 30-40 goal a year forward, they'd claim it was a successful move, without realizing he could've become one of the greatest defenders of all time.

Im sure theres a latin word for conclusion drawn from baseless assumptions.

Great defenders are nice to have, but great forwards are better. Plenty of time to find out which we have.

too bad spoiling and a knack for peeling off his opponent and going 3rd man up isn't transferable to forward craft.

Naughton is an immense aerial threat and for that alone he is worth trialling up forward. At the very worst, he can pinch hit forward when needed once he returns to his natural FB position.

He's got the raw talent to be a superstar in whatever position we play him in. So with that said, I think we just play him wherever we need him most which is currently forward.

DID YOU SEE HIM RUCK BRUH

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty simple, play Naughton back tonight and Cordy forward, pretty sure we lose.

19yo, won't be a match winning every week. In 2-3 years after bulks up and improves kicking, he'll be one of the best forwards in the game. Exciting times!
Tbh, he doesn't even need to bulk up much. He already has a decent size to him. A full preseason training with the forwards will be what is important.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's the pro-forwarders' turn to be on their high horse.

I'll convert only after he sustains consistency.
He’s 19 years old. To gain consistency means he needs to gain experience in playing the position. It will take time.

Arkangel

All Australian
Jun 8, 2007
Internet City
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't know enough about football to hazard a guess at whether Naughton will make a better forward or back in the long term, but if he retains the competitive spirit and desire for the contest that he seems to have now, I dare say he'll be good wherever he ends up.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the interest of maintaining the credibility of a number of posters this thread should be closed and incinerated. CHB? FMD

Playing him forward isn’t just a question of which is his better position. It’s about the sheer joy of watching footy.

It’s about taking your kids to the footy and telling them “Sorry kids, Naughton’s playing back tonight because the gods of piss and vinegar feel it will be better for team structure.” Imagine the looks on their little faces.

You can admire Alex Rance , but when Buddy gallops down the wing and bends one through on the left from 50 you can’t help but applaud.

Now he’s got a taste for it I doubt he wants to be a back any more. Looks like he’s enjoying himself to me.

Last edited:

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interview on field directly after the game

I’m not good at finding links to stuff like that but that is what he said if you can find and confirm.

Then a week later the club had obviously spoken to him and he gave the line you quoted

The club told him to say he likes playing forward ? Lol
Aren’t you embarrassed posting rubbish like this ?

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Did anyone hear the interview with Crozier last night, either on K rock or Triple M? I'm pretty sure he said Naughton prefers playing back :(

Back