Game Day GDT Round 16: Carlton vs Melbourne 13:10 AEST @ MCG- Travelling through the River Styx, Bring your fishing rods

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/16/carl-v-melb

Match preview: Carlton v Melbourne

Where and when: MCG, Sunday, July 7, 1.10pm AEST
TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide
What it means for Carlton:
The Blues have looked a different side since David Teague took the reins as interim coach, winning two of their last three matches and playing an exciting brand of footy. Victory here will continue to build some nice momentum.
What it means for Melbourne: Having started the year as one of the premiership favourites, defeat will see the Dees slip beneath the Blues on the ladder. That is simply unacceptable and must provide Melbourne with some motivation this weekend.

The stat: Ed Curnow racked up an incredible 16 clearances in Carlton's victory over Fremantle on Sunday. Only eight players have had more in a single game.

The match-up: Clayton Oliver v Jack Silvagni
Having nullified the impact of Nat Fyfe throughout the second half on Sunday, could we see David Teague trust Silvagni with a role on one of Melbourne's big-bodied midfielders? Oliver appears the obvious choice, with his work in close crucial to the Demons' success.
It's a big week for: Mitch McGovern (Carlton)
With both Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow hobbled by injury, a lot of responsibility falls on the shoulders of McGovern to lead Carlton's forward line this week. He hasn't kicked multiple goals in five matches, so must step up to inspire the attack on Sunday.
mcgovern010719.jpg

Big call: Another determined Blues comeback, but this one falls just short
Prediction: Melbourne by 9 points

I've got some bait. Anybody else coming?

No streams in the GDT. You knows the drills​

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Prediction: underwhelming win against a crap side, much like our wins v Brisbane/Gold Coast 14-17.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Worst case scenario I reckon is an unconvincing win. The focus is taken off the coaching group but we remain hot garbage. Give me either a big win or a big loss. Knowing how much the MFC enjoys trolling us it will be a win by under a kick after trailing all game.

Jon Koncak

Baseline leaner
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GS Warriors, NY Giants, ORE Ducks
As sad as it is, I think we've played ourselves into a position where we shouldn't be expecting a comfortable win here, potentially even a win at all.

They're not a super young team anymore, the experience profiles of the sides will be pretty similar today: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_team_selections#9853

Both teams will (probably) be missing their best player and a similar amount of important players:
Us: Max (probably), Jetta, Lever, Melksham
Them: Cripps, Docherty, Curnow, McKay

While we have continue to play patchy footy and in my opinion fall apart mentally in games, since the coach sacking (from what I've seen) Carlton have a style that they're playing to. They still have plenty of young players, make mistakes and have a few too many limited experienced players, but they're playing like a team. I can't say the same for us.

I think (and hope) we will have a bit too much for them. That our young core has a couple of years on theirs and it will count for something. But I can see a scenario where they get on a run, their newly energised crowds gets behind them, and we just crumble under the realisation that we are very genuinely a bottom four side and could lose to a side we beat by 110 just a year ago...

The season is done and we should be erring on the side of player development but there's still plenty to play for in the remaining rounds. If we can get back to playing some exciting, high-scoring footy we can sell something to sponsors, potential members and the AFL/TV networks for next year. If we continue as we are, in some ways we will have undone all of the good work done over the last couple of years.

On days like this I wish I was the praying type. :thumbsu:

Does anybody actually still care? I remember scheduling my flight for early this morning a while back so I’d be back in time for the game.

Now I’m back, and I genuinely cannot be bothered as I have no emotional investment left in this season whatsoever. Sad turn of events in the last nine months.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anybody actually still care? I remember scheduling my flight for early this morning a while back so I’d be back in time for the game.

Now I’m back, and I genuinely cannot be bothered as I have no emotional investment left in this season whatsoever. Sad turn of events in the last nine months.

It’s a game where we gain nothing out of winning but stand to lose a lot should we fail.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am having it both ways today.

If the team loses I will be bitter about it. If they win I reserve the right to still be bitter about it.

The game is meaningless, for Melbourne, so they will win by 40+.

edit: Fixed poor formatting...

Back