Analysis Why did we stop running in 2nd half? (2nd Showdown 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We currently have a post-mortem vent thread, and a changes thread for this second Showdown.

I’m currently interested in understanding how and why we suddenly stopped running/scoring/giving-a-damn?

Did anyone else sense that Tex was going to bust the game open with 2 shots for goal within the first minute of the 3rd quarter? Did we not look like a million bucks at that exact moment?

So...wtf happened? Please stick to analytical posting in this thread and the vent posts for elsewhere.

As I just posted in the other thread; for some reason, once they kicked a couple of goals in the 3rd we went completely defensive. We pushed all 18 players into their forward half.

Then when we did actually turn the ball over we had nowhere to go.

Meaning the ball eventually went back to Port for them to score another goal.

After awhile we simply wore ourselves out.

I don't know if it was player driven or coach driven, but it was beyond stupid.

Last edited:

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
We currently have a post-mortem vent thread, and a changes thread for this second Showdown.

I’m currently interested in understanding how and why we suddenly stopped running/scoring/giving-a-damn?

Did anyone else sense that Tex was going to bust the game open with 2 shots for goal within the first minute of the 3rd quarter? Did we not look like a million bucks at that exact moment?

So...wtf happened? Please stick to analytical posting in this thread and the vent posts for elsewhere.
I doubt anyone knows, but it's a trend, Geelong at home in the last 5 minutes they kicked 4 goals straight and we lost by 4 goals, North end of Q3/start of Q4, they kicked 5 goals and we lost by 3 goals, West Coast at home after half time, Geelong away after Q3, Port Power after half time. Playing too many cooked players and/or mental concentration....??

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the early 2000’s when watching Brisbane I used to sit there and think, ‘damn Brisbane are a lucky team, the ball always seems to bounce their way’. Took me a while to realize it wasn’t luck, it’s a work rarte thing.

I was thinking the same thoughts in the first quarter when we were playing today. We didn’t stop running in the second half, we never started running. Port just hit the scoreboard in the second half and built momentum.

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets
In the early 2000’s when watching Brisbane I used to sit there and think, ‘damn Brisbane are a lucky team, the ball always seems to bounce their way’. Took me a while to realize it wasn’t luck, it’s a work rarte thing.

I was thinking the same thoughts in the first quarter when we were playing today. We didn’t stop running in the second half, we never started running. Port just hit the scoreboard in the second half and built momentum.

Saw a stat during the week we are 18th in the league for distance cover in a game. Alarming stat

MileraMagic

Debutant
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Momentum is a funny thing.
If someone could figure out how to bottle it, they would become very rich.

Is it just a prolonged adrenaline rush which heightens physical attributes?

Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I just posted in the other thread; for some reason, once they kicked a couple of goals in the 3rd we went completely defensive. We pushed all 18 players into their forward half.

Then when we did actually turn the ball over we had nowhere to go.

Meaning the ball eventually went back to Port for them to score another goal.

After awhile we simply wore ourselves out.

I don't know if it was player driven or coach driven, but it was beyond stupid.

Yep, I was going off my nut at the game about this.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The thing that’s interesting is that this type of game and sudden swing in momentum to a halt is rarely seen.

We were clearly the dominant team in the first half but with extremely poor conversion (4.11 to 6.2) - 15 scoring shots to 8 - doubled the scoring shots!

Then we started the second half with a bang with a goal and then a behind. 95% of the matches would have the dominant team carrying on with the win. Or if not, at least score a few more goals in the 2nd half. The fact we didn’t give a whimper or a further goal is what is making me flabbergasted!

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
One obvious factor is the loss of Gooch early during the match. One less rotation certainly hurt us. Also Port has the fresher legs and quicker speed.

ROB also seems to be down in this game. He was playing against Lycett with a strapped knee and was beaten. This was disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Why?
Mate, if you/we could figure out the answer to your question we'd be rich.
Is it mindset, all between the ears? Looked like complacent laziness and an unwillingness to run/chase/harass to me. The Crows are running around as if they are still producing 2017 Rounds 1-6 footy.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Because our game plan cannot cope with the pressure of continuous slick ball movement.

My memory of the game also is that our first half scoring was from scrambled play whereas port scored from set shots and a more structured forward play. Our forward setup going into the vacant acreage was humiliating.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
The players have given up on the coaches it seems.

Yep, that was a “coach killer” performance. The type where you question if the players are still playing for the coach. Able to get up for occasion initially, but once challenged, there was no fight, we just capitulated. Does not bode well for the rest of the year.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Wow. If that’s the case it’s pretty damning. Makes me wonder how we have 8 wins.
Carlton were 2nd for didtance and 3rd sprints.

Adelaide were 18th for both.

The Tigers were no.1

It doesn't really have any correlation to how good the team is, more just gamestyle and structures.

Geelong were mid-level.

A nothing article imo.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, that was a “coach killer” performance. The type where you question if the players are still playing for the coach. Able to get up for occasion initially, but once challenged, there was no fight, we just capitulated. Does not bode well for the rest of the year.

Essendon and Collingwood at the Adelaide Oval are 2 games to watch closely.

If we roll over like we did yesterday, Pyke is in some serious trouble as he’s very close to losing the playing group.

I would not sack him, I would have a major overhaul of the team over the next 6 weeks and then trade a very senior players out.

A new coach will just do the same as Craig, Sanderson and now Pyke. Let the players dictate what goes on. The coach is in charge, he steers the ship and everyone gets on board.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
We’ve got too many players who can’t be swung into another role to give us a bit of extra oomph where it’s required. We play peripheral only players in peripheral roles. Murphy, Mackay and Dougie are 3 players who can’t successfully be pushed into a midfield rotation or do anything more than the minimum expected from their roles. Gooch can, but he was out with concussion early. Betts is the same expect he’s a champ that is struggling and might be just about done. 3 key tall defenders is one too many. Kelly should be our 3rd tall and his replacement should be a mid who can do a bit of defending from behind the ball. Because we don’t have options, our mids get gassed and we’ve got no options to make any changes to help them out.

Philosophically, we design a structure that we think works and regardless of anything else place foot soldiers into each position. We value experience and continuity above everything else because our philosophy is purely that of structure and process. We’ve seen this before and we know that it is a failed methodology.

Richmond smoked us in a GF simply by out-running us. We went in with 4 tall forwards and 3 tall defenders because that was our preferred structure. Our peripheral players were average and out of form seniors and guess what, when our mids were gassed, what did we have in our kit bag to deploy to help them out. End result is the question, why did we stop running in the last half?

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide

I used to notice that as well, it was like they had the ball on a string. You are correct, they just worked harder and smarter to be first at the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton were 2nd for didtance and 3rd sprints.

Adelaide were 18th for both.

The Tigers were no.1

It doesn't really have any correlation to how good the team is, more just gamestyle and structures.

Geelong were mid-level.

A nothing article imo.

75.7% of stats are incorrect or useless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Essendon and Collingwood at the Adelaide Oval are 2 games to watch closely.

If we roll over like we did yesterday, Pyke is in some serious trouble as he’s very close to losing the playing group.

I would not sack him, I would have a major overhaul of the team over the next 6 weeks and then trade a very senior players out.

A new coach will just do the same as Craig, Sanderson and now Pyke. Let the players dictate what goes on. The coach is in charge, he steers the ship and everyone gets on board.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of changes that probably need to be made before Pyke. We have a non-football Chairman and CEO, which leaves Ricciuto as “king maker” from a footballing sense, especially since he’s installed an inexperienced/incompetent mate as head of football. We’re then stuck with a rusted on senior assistant who’s on his 5th senior coach, having spent time as caretaker himself as well. We’ve then got a forward line coach who couldn’t find a job anywhere else despite >10 years experience as an assistant and was only out there because we couldn’t find anyone else. Then we’ve got Mattner and Godden as 1st year assistants.

Chapman’s not going anywhere unfortunately and I’m happy with Fagan as CEO as long as we have a strong and capable Head of Football.

From there it gets really complicated. Given Pykes experiences, he’s someone who as senior coach would probably want to effectively assume the role of “head of football” anyway, answering directly to Fagan, with “head of football” reporting to him(it’s probably more Football operations manager), if we even needed one. I would expect similar would already be happening at Hawthorn with Clarkson.

From there though we need a senior assistant who probably needs to be able to take on the “day to day” coaching stuff and would be the 2ic in the structure. This is where Campo’s at currently, but probably needs to be moved on and we need to invest heavily IMO in a “senior coach in waiting”. Depending how things go, this person could potentially assuming senior coaching duties with Pyke moving into a more senior “head of football” role down the line. It would need to be well paid to attract the ideal candidates which is where we fall down I suspect.

Essentially id look at:
Out: Campo, Hart, Burton
Shuffle Clark perhaps to the “head of football” role reporting to Pyke directly.
Not sure re Godden. Mattner stays.
From there we’d bring in a senior assistant, forward +/- midfield coach.

harryharlow

Debutant
Jul 7, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back