Review Dogs 71 def Cats 55 // Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Great upset win.

Hopefully Schache stays in the side after tonight. The 2 talls seems to work for us but it seems like one of them has a good game and the other doesn't. Not sure what to make of it.

Was a strange game overall and we only really clicked in the last term but our pressure and defensive efforts kept us in it (and their inaccuracy)

Best win of the year in an ugly contest.
Having two tall marking options split the defence as if they don't respect them either could cut them up. Schache's last two good games ensured that they didn't play loose on him which gave Naughts some room to work in.
And the converse is true for Schache the previous two weeks were the attention on Naughts gave Schache room to go to work.
We need both as they are both complementary to each other and make us a better outfit

Is Bailey Smith our best first year player since Chris Grant?

I watched Griffen, Cooney and Higgins in their debut years and saw flashes of brilliance. But Smith is a different kettle of fish, as he’s capable of the flashy but even more capable of doing the heavy inside lifting. He has such an appetite for getting in and under. Never gives up on a contest, really cool head with the ball, eye for a goal. He looks like a third year player. Brilliant .

Awesome win stayed with them and we when we pulled the trigger it's went up a level.

How B.Smith is not in the conversation with Stack and Walsh for Rising Star is beyond me. I guess media love a good story from bigger clubs.

Power and Co please get a deal done for B.Williams he is going to be so important to us going forward. Has attributes we need especially his disposal by foot. That intercept/ spoil punch he did last night shows how well he reads the ball. Get a deal done please.

I watched Griffen, Cooney and Higgins in their debut years and saw flashes of brilliance. But Smith is a different kettle of fish, as he’s capable of the flashy but even more capable of doing the heavy inside lifting. He has such an appetite for getting in and under. Never gives up on a contest, really cool head with the ball, eye for a goal. He looks like a third year player. Brilliant .
Scott West had a pretty good debut year (8 Brownlow votes in 17 games and a bag of 6 goals in one game) too

Last edited:
Feels so nice waking up after a great win! Great even contribution from the team. One day Naughton will be the best player in the comp, I’m sure of it, just watching the way he moves around the ground at the game, I’ve never seen someone so athletic.

I was tough on McLean at half time in the match thread but his efforts in the late stages of the game were fantastic. Killing that ball on the wing was the standout but a couple of deep penetrating kicks from stoppage that set up goals were crucial as well!

After a great win, I look at this board and shake my head.

A polite request. If you don't like what a particular poster says and it's getting acrimonious, then just mute them please.

Best game since we were 47 points down at half time at the cattery and we came back to win on their dung pile and even better with their yips in front of goal.

You are soooo right. How people can let this devolve into a shitfight after our best win in ages is beyond me. I've deleted numerous posts and if i see any more of that crap I'll be deleting numerous posters.

If Schache doesn’t play I wonder if Naughton gets off leash and kicks 4 ?
And vice versa the two weeks before.

Obviously they're both young and haven't played much together. Seem to compliment each other well. Could be a very good combination in time.

Ash Hansen gets a bit of credit for their development but I'd like to see what would happen with Roughead coaching them.

Bont started late in 2014 but come on.. he’s not better than Bont was that year

That makes 2 of us and dozen others.
I think it's ok for supporters to question a coach and his team when they're losing to teams they were comfortably beating the season before. Without reading the thread again I don't recall too many posters actually saying he should be sacked. And we were pretty awful through that patch.

Good organisations are critical and ask questions of each other in good and bad times. Just because a coach wins a premiership shouldn't mean supporters lose rights to question them. With that logic no premiership coach would ever be sacked.

While Roarke Smith wasn’t great, he might stay in on the previous week’s form, however, if he does get replaced, it better be West or Cavarra, if Gowers replaces Smith, I’ll lose my sh1t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those here picking on Schache’s game last night, did you not see the dummy leads for Naughton to be 1 on 1? He did it a couple of times, also, we went for Naughton or Lloyd a lot of the time and not Schache, so not his fault. Absolutely he’s not getting dropped on last night’s game.

Thought bailey William's was good last night as well. Easton wood was fantastic as well his best game this year. Although he was quiet schache still had that effort and hunger that he had been missing almost a bit of mongrel in his follow up work. Others mentioned his decoy leading as well.

Exciting times but I am kicking myself over the GC, North Melb, Carlton and Collingwood losses. All 4 should have been won. We've got a serious squad on our hands and I cannot wait for the next few years to be celebrating deep into September with everyone

I really think a lot of our turnovers were due to Geelong’s pressure which was unlike anything we’ve come against the last month. The fact we could withstand it and then break it open was fantastic.

Anyone who posts in the match day knows I don’t like Trengove as a defender. Got to give him credit as his second half was much improved but the sooner he isn’t our number 1 the better.

For all the commentary around Geelong’s missed goals, don’t forget we missed plenty too. We were 1.5 at one stage!

Who knows what happens the rest of the year but at a minimum hopefully our improvement will help attract some decent players in the trade period

Well done guys. I tipped you blokes to win and you played as I expected. Full of heart and passion which is something we can aspire to.

McCrae is a phenomenal footballer and even better live.

Good luck in your endeavors to play finals. I hope you get there and give it a shake.

Great win had cat supporters near me complaining about the umpires all night. I just said learn how to tackle like us and you might get some frees.

Trengove and Dunks were good but surely they have lost their pen licence with short passing in the back line especially Trengove just kick the thing as far as you can.

Schache was unfortunately matched up against a bloke who can run all day better than he does, there's not many others in the league who can do it as well as Blicavs.

Over the last 3 weeks we've got a dozen(?) goals from two talls who are 19 and 21, can't really complain about that.

Yep with both playing we are hard to defend and finally have some structure

Would love to see Cavarra get a chance....also probably already been mentioned.... but getting Moz back is just as exciting as that win last night....icing on the cake one would say

Duryea was so calm and deadly. Love his come from behind contested mark in the third quarter.

I wasn’t that fussed when we recruited him, another half back, but when he is a very good player

Still question though with Caleb to come back what is Bayley Williams long term role as he was very good against cats back in his best position at half back

The guy who came third in the Sutton medal last year as an 18 year old full back that we all thought our defence would be built around for ten years went alright. One thing is certain however, whether its Dalrymples parting gift or Powers first, we've knocked our last couple of first round picks out of the park. Something easier said than done when you move beyond the certainties in the first few picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back