Autopsy Round 16, 2019: back on the winners list over Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win. Wayne Carey's comment: 'if there's one word that sums up this club: respect.' Hodgey, Ollie, Worps and the rest of the young blokes will get a heap out of that.
It was a great win. Having said that please disregard everything Carey ever says. Got me stuffed how a bloke who glassed a woman and kicked a female cop in the face still has a media job.

Late to the party, but gee it's nice to have a Friday night game again. A loss leaves you with more time to grieve before the end of the round and to distract yourself with other games, whilst a win just sets you up for the whole weekend perfectly.

On the game itself, could barely watch the first three quarters and ended up spending a lot of time talking over it. But the last quarter made up for all of it! If anything, I'm really glad we won after coming so close last week. Who knows what another close loss would have done to the team's confidence.

On players themselves, LOVED that Mitchell Lewis took the game by the scruff of its neck. His accuracy from long distances is something we've sorely missed since Gunston has reduced his impact. Surely he stays in for the rest of the season?

The usual suspects in Big Boy and Shiels were superb, and it was good to see Jaeger do a bit more. Still lets himself down occasionally with his disposal but I can only see him getting better with each season. Sic was incredible as well bar a few errors. Love how he takes the game on though.

The only out I see is Glass, not sure who else deserves to go.

Can someone clue me in on Ollie? Granted I missed a fair bit of the game due to indulging on a tasty Shiraz, but didn't see him a lot? Seems to be copping big wraps.

Can someone clue me in on Ollie? Granted I missed a fair bit of the game due to indulging on a tasty Shiraz, but didn't see him a lot? Seems to be copping big wraps.
Well, the stats sheet tells a bit of it. He just got involved in the game, didn't look like he was bothered at all by the step up to AFL level. Cool, composed, ran hard and nailed his tackles. I was most impressed when I saw him working back into defence to help out, and executing a couple of difficult kicks on a night where we were struggling to find targets. Two crucial goals in the last term to top it off.. reckon he'd have a huge tick next to his name from his line coach.

Well, the stats sheet tells a bit of it. He just got involved in the game, didn't look like he was bothered at all by the step up to AFL level. Cool, composed, ran hard and nailed his tackles. I was most impressed when I saw him working back into defence to help out, and executing a couple of difficult kicks on a night where we were struggling to find targets. Two crucial goals in the last term to top it off.. reckon he'd have a huge tick next to his name from his line coach.
Yeah fair game, just finished re-watching the last quarter sober. Had totally forgotten he kicked two.

You just know if Howe was holding pendles down and the same happened the narrative would be completely different
Exactly right. The headline would be "Talented Magpie superstar captain with a basketball background forced to defend himself from niggling tactics of unsociable Hawthorn tagger all whilst lying prone and vulnerable on the ground"

Interesting we're 4-4 against top 8 sides but 2-5 against bottom 8 sides, might be me being optimistic but we're really not that far off.

Definitely not that far off, the gap between worst and best teams now is so slight. There are people saying we need at least 3 more A Graders to compete, whereas in reality we'd probably be top 4 this year if TOM played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s so nice to bask in the warm glow of a Friday night win - it just makes the whole weekend such a long, relaxing, beautiful couple of days!

1. The atmosphere in the last quarter at the MCG was just electric. Hawk fans going crazy everywhere: we’ve missed that for a few weeks.

2. Also, because we won, we didn’t get into our usual contretemps with the stupid opposition supporters in the standing area behind us. No need to say anything, they just left like sheep, with tears in their eyes.

3. I must commend Jarman Impey: I’m sure he’s under instructions to take the game on; no way that is against Clarko’s meticulous plans. He’s said to Impey: “grab the ball, take on the field and run”. It’s not always successful, but it gives the supporters some damn excitement!

4. Youngsters stood up - I’m not picking anyone out, but when you’re a kid and you have big moments in a game, that is how the Hawks win Grand Finals. I’m hoping for development from them all.

I get sick of all the media fawning over Collingwood players; apparently every one of them is a superstar.

Well, they’re not, so shut the hell up.

Go Hawks!

It works when the game is close at the end. Im not saying one or the other is right, but wouldnt more one sided games be the result of low interchange

And expect more hamstring injuries too...

Really not a fan of the half back to half forward arm wrestle for 3 and half quarters and then the fittest and most accurate team in the last 10 minutes wins.

I need to say it again - we're a far better side with Howe in the team.
Just love ol crazy eyes.

When you look at the Pendlebury incident in the game highlights - hawks received a free kick and Pendlbeury decided to tackle Howe a good 1-2 seconds later and drag him to the ground. Then ol crazy eyes kneed him in the head (accidentally) and Pendlebury had a bit of a sook.

When guys of that calibre are getting ruffled you know your'e on to something. Shiels becomes a much more valauble player with Howe there.
He definitely has that 'Unsociable Hawks' aura about him.

whereas in reality we'd probably be top 4 this year if TOM played.
Top 4 might be a stretch, our midfield is not quite top shelf even with Mitchell. Last year, we won ALL the close ones, which was fortunate, but not indicative of dominance

But finalists would be much more likely. Tommitch makes a huge difference

Definitely not that far off, the gap between worst and best teams now is so slight. There are people saying we need at least 3 more A Graders to compete, whereas in reality we'd probably be top 4 this year if TOM played.
Wingard back to his best, Mitchell back from injury, knock on wood we land both Patton and Cogs and we look very dangerous forward of centre.

Scully O'merea Smith
Gunston Lewis Worpel
Breust Patton Wingard
McEvoy Mitchell Coniglio

I need to say it again - we're a far better side with Howe in the team.
Just love ol crazy eyes.

When you look at the Pendlebury incident in the game highlights - hawks received a free kick and Pendlbeury decided to tackle Howe a good 1-2 seconds later and drag him to the ground. Then ol crazy eyes kneed him in the head (accidentally) and Pendlebury had a bit of a sook.

When guys of that calibre are getting ruffled you know your'e on to something. Shiels becomes a much more valauble player with Howe there.

Pendles was complaining to the umpires about Howe in the first quarter.

When he was first drafted to the club, I thought Howe was going to be a really good player. Nice size for a midfielder and seemed to have time to find teammates, which is the hallmark of a very good midfielder.

He hasn't come on in the way I hoped but he definitely has a role to play, at least for the moment.

Pendles was complaining to the umpires about Howe in the first quarter.

When he was first drafted to the club, I thought Howe was going to be a really good player. Nice size for a midfielder and seemed to have time to find teammates, which is the hallmark of a very good midfielder.

He hasn't come on in the way I hoped but he definitely has a role to play, at least for the moment.
Will get Fyfe this week. Dangerfield the next.

Ben McEvoy held level with Grundy and gave us a chance to win the game. Well done big man.

I had Grundy ahead for the first three quarters but Grundy dropped his bundle after he dropped the mark in defence and Ollie then snapped the goal from the pack.

Grundy was jogging along after McEvoy when McEvoy pushed forward to take the mark and kick the goal. Grundy's effort markedly dropped off in the last quarter, for whatever reason, and McEvoy took full advantage.

Good work by McEvoy, but if i were Buckley i would be very disappointed in Grundy's last quarter. Was a contributing factor in Hawthorn overcoming Collingwood.

You just know if Howe was holding pendles down and the same happened the narrative would be completely different
There was barely any serious contact. Yeah he got him in the head but it more surprised Pendles than hurt him. Think he has a pretty good case anyway, what do you expect the guy to do when someone is lying on top of you trying to rub your face in the dirt.

Can i just say can we cease the tanking talk. Hawthorn r never taking the field with the intention to lose not with clarkson at the helm. I dont care what anyone says but i strongly believe winning is more important. Draft picks no where near as important.

We have built a culture around never giving up and playing hard every week. Most weeks we do this. The players were gutted losing last week. I am so happy they got reward for their efforts this week

Ppl are so fricken enamoured with the draft. Geezus Gws should be on a 5 pete by now and they havent made a grand final.

I like you frustrated by our ball movement especially going forward but you can never fault our endevour to be 3 goals down having kicked 4 goals for the game and still believe we could win.

Guts and determination something other sides dont have and we sure has hell dont want to lose that intangible. Its the difference between a premiership and not

Interesting we're 4-4 against top 8 sides but 2-5 against bottom 8 sides, might be me being optimistic but we're really not that far off.

The 2-5 against bottom 8 flips to 3-3 or even 4-2 without the substantial in game injuries we had. Then add a fit Tom, let alone Wingard (and I reckon Scrimshaw having a consistent run) and I would be surprised if we weren't at least knocking on the door of the 4.

Jarman Impey: I’m sure he’s under instructions to take the game on; no way that is against Clarko’s meticulous plans. He’s said to Impey: “grab the ball, take on the field and run”. It’s not always successful, but it gives the supporters some damn excitement!

He definitely has that 'Unsociable Hawks' aura about him.

I reckon we're seeing a bit of the unsociable Hawks back again. I hope Clarko keeps Howe, Impey and Lewis in the team for that.

Would also love to see Clarko slap Nash a few times around the face before he runs out. I can definitely see him being a "you won't like me when I'm angry" type. But will take a little more confidence, which I think will build slowly. I've moved countries a lot for work, and it always takes a while to adjust. Let alone moving at 18/19, playing a brand new sport at a professional level. Think he'll have a great career with us, and hopefully be a bit of an enforcer once he crosses the 22/23 mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back