Review Dogs 71 def Cats 55 // Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome win stayed with them and we when we pulled the trigger it's went up a level.

How B.Smith is not in the conversation with Stack and Walsh for Rising Star is beyond me. I guess media love a good story from bigger clubs.

Power and Co please get a deal done for B.Williams he is going to be so important to us going forward. Has attributes we need especially his disposal by foot. That intercept/ spoil punch he did last night shows how well he reads the ball. Get a deal done please.

TBH B.Smith is probably 4th or 5th in line for the rising star. Been a stellar crop this year and Rankine hasn't even played.

TBH B.Smith is probably 4th or 5th in line for the rising star. Been a stellar crop this year and Rankine hasn't even played.
Yeah this has clearly been the best group of first year players I've ever seen, plenty of other years Bailey would be close to favourite but Walsh and Stack have been out of this world good, Rozee and Duursma not far behind and Jordan Clark pretty bloody impressive as well

Watching our last few games, our mids seem to be really wearing their opponents down as the second half progresses, and I'm wondering if that's mainly down to size. Since libba went down our most common on-ball set-up would be Dunkley Bont Macrae, all pushing (or over) 190cm and built more like Fyfe than Pendlebury. I can't think of another team with three guys that size consistently playing those positions, and even for mature AFL mids, it's got to take a toll going up against a guy with 5-10cm and 10kg on you all night.

Just a quick peek in the Geelong board is interesting. Excuses ranged from Cats doing a hard training load, umpires wanted the Dogs to win, umpires, umpires, umpires, Cats taking it easy as they are top.

My take on the game, first quarter was terrible for us, just lucky they couldn’t kick a goal. Smithy was the top player in that quarter. Bont was being targeted, every time he got the ball, he was tackled. Then the cream rose to the top, Bont, McCrae, Dunks, Smith and Naughton, with good support from all the boys, got on top, and got them in the last quarter, a bit of irony here as Scott reckons they are the best last quarter team.

What I learnt, Bulldogs are young, and like all young players can be inconsistent, but our best can beat any team.. Good times ahead.

Ps. Hard playing a game after playing in torrential rain last week, hard training run is no excuse.

Last edited:
Watch us against a bottom 4 team and you will change your mind.
Won't have to worry about that problem if you make the finals Haha.
Anyway good win boys.
My secret shame is JJ is one of my fave players and he started to look a little bit like his best last night. Hope he kicks on.
Have a good one.

Still not getting enough goals from our small forwards. Need to try West and Cavarra for a block of weeks before the end of the season or before they get injured.

Football will be the real winner if Patrick Dangerfield goes his whole career without a flag. For two blokes who are tough him and Selwood sure do love milking any contact whatsoever.

Absolute babies.

Loved the play where Bont literally put a hand onto his back when they were running to the ball, then Danger tackles him by the head & complained about not getting a free. He can play, but absolute w***er that bloke

Loved the play where Bont literally put a hand onto his back when they were running to the ball, then Danger tackles him by the head & complained about not getting a free. He can play, but absolute w***er that bloke

I was so proud of Bont there. He deftly and subtly manoeuvred Dangerfield to get in front of him, right in front of an umpire, without giving away a free. Then Danger out of utter frustration just tackles him around the head. Must be pretty infuriating to get so thoroughly outplayed.

The much feted Holy Trinity always, ALWAYS, argue with the umpire, and really go on with it. I haven't yet seen an ump change his mind.

I was so proud of Bont there. He deftly and subtly manoeuvred Dangerfield to get in front of him, right in front of an umpire, without giving away a free. Then Danger out of utter frustration just tackles him around the head. Must be pretty infuriating to get so thoroughly outplayed.

Give credit to Danger- he was one of their few who really put in.

Doesn't make himmany less annoying in the media though. Really hope Bont doesn't end up like this guy.

Ps Ablett- is he finished or not? Doesn't deserve to go out playing like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 of our 10 goals last night came from forwards - Naughton, Lloyd and Dickson.

It’s a welcome improvement on earlier in the season and a nice return against the Geelong defence.

If we could improve our goal return from our midfield who, Bont aside, are poor in this area then we really start to look like a side that can contend for finals and premierships.

Give credit to Danger- he was one of their few who really put in.

Doesn't make himmany less annoying in the media though. Really hope Bont doesn't end up like this guy.

Ps Ablett- is he finished or not? Doesn't deserve to go out playing like this.

I think his plan is to retire with a flag, but if that doesn’t happen this year he’s likely to retire anyway after this year. Has his moments of class but he can be shut down a lot easier now, last night all those that did a job on him did it great as he was barely noticed

I think his plan is to retire with a flag, but if that doesn’t happen this year he’s likely to retire anyway after this year. Has his moments of class but he can be shut down a lot easier now, last night all those that did a job on him did it great as he was barely noticed
Disagree, ablett has been great this season just had a down game last night, should go on next year for sure

Libba plays no doubt, Caleb, despite his flaws over exaggerated on this board is in AA contention in media discussions, Wallis is handy experience and Morris is essential ( even though his age says he shouldn’t be). Four big inclusions to come back. It’s great to be having discussions about who they replace in current team. Says their replacements have been doing a good job.

Roarke is probably first to go and that’s not discounting his effort last week but all four above knock him out without a thought. As good as he shows himself to be, Ed still not getting it consistently enough to be ahead of the experienced 4.

Then it gets interesting. Lipinski has done nothing wrong, Maclean showed last night how good he is ( at his best when kicking long to advantage) , Smith has played every game and shows no sign of tiring, Williams and Duryea do more than credited, Suckling is often targeted but had some really good games. Dickson still is that forward who can actually kick goals, even though long term he is on notice. During our bad patch this year many bemoaned our lack of depth but it suddenly looks different ( key positions still struggle). We still haven’t tried West and Cavarra.

Libba and Caleb are instant returns. I think Mitch has to wait for form to drop concerning the above candidates. Dale is a wait and see how the body holds up proposition who will come back when we have to use him if finals chance stays real.

It looks good for 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you please let me know when this occured, I can't recall seeing it last night and would love to watch the replay!!!

I haven't seen the dogs beat the cats live since Billy Brownless knocked us out of the finals after the siren in 1991...... Slept like a baby!! Thanks Lads

That was 1994. I was at the game too. Osbourne kicked one around his body up the other end to put us up with 30-40 sec to go. Should’ve been game over then 😢

Stoked with that performance. Three things I loved:

Toby in the 4th as many have mentioned. The two-on-one was great, but the earlier contest when he ended up kicking to a Bont goalsquare mark was just as good.

There was a super hard ball contest in the middle of the ground and
Lippi did not shirk it. That’s what it takes.

And finally Bsmiths snap and letting Selwood know about it. He has mongrel.

What a win. Loving Naughton a little too much.

Now looking fwd to old mate Scott's sour presser. 'credit to the Dogs but that's the worst we've played...since we lost to them last yr ..'

Lol EABODs Catters.

Why is it that every top team we beat or run close..."had their worst game"...do they not take us seriously or are we that ******* good to beat them?

I haven't seen the dogs beat the cats live since Billy Brownless knocked us out of the finals after the siren in 1991...... Slept like a baby!! Thanks Lads

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was 1994. I was at the game too. Osbourne kicked one around his body up the other end to put us up with 30-40 sec to go. Should’ve been game over then 😢

They’ve had the wood over us for a long time, 90’s in particular.
I hated the Cats back then, they were like the big kid in the school yard that would push us around.

This was a win based on persistence and sheer belief. I'm sure that at half time the players would have been exceedingly frustrated with their inept disposal - almost as much as me. In fact, I think we reached new heights of incompetence at times in that half. However, it's a good thing that they have more belief than I and the way we gradually ground them down after half time was outstanding. Even if finals are beyond us, if we bring this endeavour to the table for the remaining games I'll be more than satisfied.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back