AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - Pulls out of VFL comeback with slight abdominal strain - 25/3

09 - shiel.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 35, eth-dog

Last edited by a moderator:

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Would have been disappointed to not win that last centre clearance of the game. Nearly had it but just a fumble and suddenly Kelly has a difficult but gettable snap on goal.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Shiel’s kicking inside 50 makes me cry a little. That and his inability to kick goals. That stops him from being a genuine A-grader.

Agreed.

No way an A grade player can be this ineffective by foot

He's a complete butcher and it has nothing to do with stoppage pressure.

We're all bemoaning the quality of our kicking inside 50 at the same time as we're pretending we have all these really good players.

Not sure what has to give but something does. We cant rely on any of our mids other than Merrett (and he's making stacks of errors by foot) to hit a target.

There isnt much point citing the disposal efficiency stat when the only truly efficient disposal when kicking inside 50 is to hit the leading target and create a scoring opportunity as a direct result of the kick I50.

The ball going into a pocket and then being locked in is hardly a recipe for victory.

How often does a side win an inside 50 count but lose a match?

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
How often does a side win an inside 50 count but lose a match?

This happens a lot. By itself, as an indicator the inside 50 count is only about 60-70% accurate as a predictor I believe. Once both teams make 50 inside 50s a game it doesn't matter nearly as much how many you have compared to the actual quality of inside 50s.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Was Shiel a better kick at GWS? Don’t recall any concerns when he was there but it’s a clear issue right now.

Still feel likes a good kick going through a bad patch but at some point that ceases to be the case.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
He is a massive disappointment so far.

It’s embarrassing to think we wasted those picks and pay him that astronomical salary.

But that’s footy sometimes

Massive?

He needs to fix one area do his game and he’s complete.

Massive?

He needs to fix one area do his game and he’s complete.
It's a pretty important area sure, but 'massive disappointment' is overstating things by quite a margin I think.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
I hope he spends all summer working on perfecting his kicking. He seems like the type who would do this.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He is a massive disappointment so far.

It’s embarrassing to think we wasted those picks and pay him that astronomical salary.

But that’s footy sometimes

I thought he was in the conversation as a top 10 mid in the competition. That's why I didn't really bat an eyelid when we used two first round picks on him.

We're not "winning" this trade, which was really the first monster fish we traded for, we're not even close. I agree that's a massive disappointment.

It's weird to look at it in isolation, and I think I'm really responding to DapperJong's post, but when I break it down I'm much closer to massively disappointed than not. He's played 1 game at the standard I thought would be regular and it was still littered with skill errors (i.e. Good Friday).

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I thought he was in the conversation as a top 10 mid in the competition. That's why I didn't really bat an eyelid when we used two first round picks on him.

We're not "winning" this trade, which was really the first monster fish we traded for, we're not even close. I agree that's a massive disappointment.

It's weird to look at it in isolation, and I think I'm really responding to DapperJong's post, but when I break it down I'm much closer to massively disappointed than not. He's played 1 game at the standard I thought would be regular and it was still littered with skill errors (i.e. Good Friday).

I’m not surprised.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m not surprised.

What are you so happy about?

Why are we happy to have traded ourselves out of the first round of two consecutive drafts for this guy?

Isn't the general consensus that Carlton botched the Judd trade? Judd, twice the player Shiel has been?

Admittedly it's early days and there is a good chance this time next year he is playing well and someone would think it would be insightful to quote these negative posts and say something creative like "this post has aged well".

Shiel is a 100 game player in his prime and he's playing B grade footy. What exactly are we talking up?

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I mean at least he accumulates the footy, and gets the thing moving forward. A midfield of just Merrett and Heppell is very one paced, Shiel holds opposition mids accountable with his constant risk of line breaking explosiveness and strength. That constant threat is worth a lot stats aside...

When he took a couple of steps to compose himself he drilled the ball into the post half way up from 60 yesterday, that’s a clear illustration that he just needs to take a step to balance himself.

It’s not as if he can’t kick, the execution is just lacking at the moment.

When he took a couple of steps to compose himself he drilled the ball into the post half way up from 60 yesterday, that’s a clear illustration that he just needs to take a step to balance himself.

It’s not as if he can’t kick, the execution is just lacking at the moment.

It may also be symptomatic of having a forward line that is bush league.
No target puts pressure on the kicker to dispose of the ball, no one demanding it.

Too much is being made about our players inability to hit targets. The teams skill level is down yes and it will need to be turned around to get to where we want to but if you look around the league the skills are in the toilet.
A case study would also be the pies, their skills going inside 50 were atrocious up until they werent and became one of the best teams in the comp.

We have had a league where the entire plan has been create the loose and then work it down the field hitting open targets. Now we have a league where it's largely one on one and teams don't train skills. Recipe for some very poor displays right there.

It also seems pretty miserable to focus on nothing but some missed targets instead of being happy we have some speed away from clearance we haven't had in a decade.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Admittedly it's early days and there is a good chance this time next year he is playing well and someone would think it would be insightful to quote these negative posts and say something creative like "this post has aged well".

This is Big Footy's only comeback to the certitude of armchair opinion. I think we should all cop "this post has aged well" every now and then. May keep us from getting too het up in the moment.

Having said all that, I don't think you'll be copping it on this one. Of all the areas that can be improved, field kicking under pressure is one of the most difficult. Can't see Shiel suddenly becoming an A grade user. He's super disciplined and hard working but I think the most we can hope for is that in future he bites off less and we retain the ball. Would be better but still not what you'd call a massive win.

Or starts kicking right foot much more. He's uncannily effective on the right.

Back