Tassie27

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Have told mine before but don’t mind me again for the benefit of the newbs.
‘Twas 1974 , had just started school living in Forest Hill and dad booked me into east Burwood footy clinic Saturday mornings. Must have been only kid in school shorts and jumper so when my birthday rolled around I declared I wanted a footy jumper. I only new two teams Richmond and Norf. One of my bros was a Tiger and the rest of the street was , incl the neighbour with y&b Monaro so the choice was a simple one. I got me my first jumper , I want no 21 Neil Balme , not that thug my conservative old man declared so Barry Richardson #17 it was.
The tigers were prolific in numbers through my primary school years and I gotta say I took winning for granted until 1983 when the wheels fell off , that’s when I bought my my first membership at 14 and haven’t missed since .

Lots of my good mates are tigers and I’ve met many more good folk too in the social media age Have endured the bad times and enjoyed the good times. Am rapt that the club is finally thriving and rewarding the most loyal band of fans in the world. Until the triumphant 2017 final series my fav highlight was the 10game winning streak to make finals in 2014 , was an amazing run . Every one of the 2017 finals was mesmerising in its own way , so happy I didn’t miss a minute
Wouldn’t change a thing , an honour to be just 1 of 100,000

You didn't happen to live anywhere near Koala avenue did you? Just that my friend lived there and they owned a yellow and black monaro. Was often driven to the footy in it.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Primary school winter 78 and if you didn't have a duffle coat with your teams colours on it you weren't in.
Even though Centrals was my local team my mate was a Glenelg supporter and I followed.
1980 another mate was from an English migrant family and he loved VFL. Got to watch the 80 flag on his new colour TV and fell in love with Richmond.
The Glenelg premierships 85 86 were a highlight during the tough times for Richmond. 91 - 99 Crows became my second team because so many good Glenelg players were part of that. Stopped caring about the Crows 2000 and focussed solely on Richmond whilst still keeping a strong interest in The Bays. 17 years later euphoria.

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Everyone in my family supports a different team so I pretty much had free reign to support whoever I want . I started really getting into footy around five, started playing Auskick around this age (I have physical disabilities so playing any sport was tough, but I loved it).

My family started encouraging me to pick a team to support. I was oddly close to supporting Geelong, however after watching a couple of Richmond games I became a little obsessed with watching Richo. Not only that but the jumper and the colours really drew me in.

That’s pretty much my story, short and simple. And I’ve never regretted it, not even when Geelong were dominate and we s**t.

TigerTime17

All Australian
Sep 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I grew up in Geelong and my father was a passionate Cats fan as was my older sister. I use to visit my fave uncle a lot and he was a passionate Tiger fan and had heaps of memorabilia on his walls. My uncle hated my father and i hated my older sister that much that I made the decision to follow the Tigers.

At the age of 6 I decided on the Tigers and use to ride my bike to my grandmothers house (a few streets away) every Saturday and listen to the game on the radio (no televised games then) and watch the replays when I could. I learned all of the players names as it was harder when listening to the broadcast to know who had the ball if you didn't know their names.

In 1979 I foolishly married my husband who was also a Cats fan but I made sure that if we went to the football that it was our game and never the Cats, unless we were playing them. He didn't get a choice really.

I went to as many games as I could and we were quite successful. I tried to get tickets to the 80 grand final against the Pies but missed out and watched it on the TV - and cried when we won then rang the local radio station and asked them to play "the winner takes it all' by Abba and dedicate it to my then husband hehehe.

I adore this club and even in the lean years I wouldn't hear a bad word spoken about them. To this day, if anyone slags my team off, the Satan in me comes out and I give them an ear full.

I hated living in Geelong so moved away as soon as I could and moved to Qld. I still listened to or watched every Tigers game. I moved back to Victoria (western suburbs to be closer to work in the city) 12 years ago to be closer to my mum who still lived in Geelong (who was a Tiger fan because I was hehe) and went to most MCG home games. I moved back to Geelong in late 2016 to care for my mum (who purchased my membership for me every year for Christmas).

When we made the finals in 2017 I was not able to attend the games as I was busy caring for my mum who passed away in Feb 2018. I gave my ticket code to a Tiger man so he could attend the Granny with his wife and although I wish I had of attended, I am glad a fellow Tiger got to see it!

The best thing about the finals win against Geelong in 2017 was walking around the town with my Tiger clothing on and rubbing it in to those filthy salty cat fans who thought they were above every other team.

I still buy memberships and will to the day I die. I bleed Yellow and Black. I never had children but if I had, I would have made sure they followed the Tigers or made to leave.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I grew up in Sunbury in the 70s, a town full of Tigers supporters. I come from a large family (5 sisters, two brothers) who are all Tigers. My dad is Tiger as was his dad before. Mum was Collingwood and Fitzroy but switched the day she married dad. They loved the Tiger's as they were the 'Catholic Club' of the time in the 30s 40s AND 50S and also a haven for what many of that generation would know as the Old Labor Party (prior to 50's split with DLP etc.) (as opposed to the farce we've seen of recent times Rudd Gillard and heaven help us Shorten! As opposed to Carlton who were the choice of the liberal party!!

If we didn't barrack for tigers then we would've been booted out!! To this day I judge people on who they support. I for some reason have plenty of friends who support the druggies. They were cool in the 70s and 80s but from THE 90s turned into flogs, just like Kevin Sheedy (TRAITOR). but these days they aren't so arrogant.... yeah, they are!! I just keep telling them that 19 YEARS is a long premiership drought! Don't even get me started on Carlton!!

I remember the 73-74 flags and going to school and being so proud of Kevin Sheedy and Kevin Bartlett. For some reason I remember the 1977 Elimination Final quite clearly at VFL Park and Bryan Woods majestic mark.

Dad would take us to all MCG Games, he was in the Coterie for a fair while. I got to meet Geoff Raines, Bruce Tempany (what a great fella !!) Kim Kershaw, Ian Scrimshaw, Jim Jess and Big Bob Heard. I remember one game it was a half time scones and tea type thing for the Coterie and my brother and I were told by the old man to stay in the corner and be seen and not be heard. Ian Wilson was the President of the time and came other and had a quick chat to us. He gave us both a glass bottle of coke each, best coke I have ever had. I wrote to Caro recently and told her this story and to my surprise she wrote back. I love that chick!!

I was 13 when we won in 1980, it was nowhere as big or emotional for me as 2017. I went to 1982 second semi when we smashed Carlton and thought we would just win again. Even losing in the 82 GF wasn't so bad as you just assumed back then that another flag would come, that Roachy would just keep kicking bags of goals, we would just continue to recruit well from WA (Wiley Monteath Rioli) and that our U19s would just continue to churn out superstars from Essex Heights!! Instead we got Dan Foley, Todd Menegola and Jay Burton!! But to me they were Tigers. I wore my 'restore THE roar' windcheater everywhere and was fortunate to be at the 1990 Mother’s Day massacre when we beat Geelong at Krapdinia Park with Des Ryan starring on the day!! I think it may have been Stuart Maxfield’s first game for us (the traitor) I attribute a lot of my anxiety problems to the Tigers. These problems have dissipated over the past 2 years.

My brother and a mate travelled up to Sydney for what we thought may have bene Richmond's last game in the league around time of Save our Skins. We smacked Sydney, Mitchell goal of the century and Hogg was brilliant. It was a great drive home that night !!One of my greatest personal moments was having my name listed in the 1990 Richmond annual report as a SOS volunteer. I have two daughters and two sons, all of whom support the tigers. My two daughters are 24 & 25 and plenty of times wanted to leave, never got how great we were as a club. 2017 was for me more about them seeing them so happy, justified and look other supporters in the eye. And they could understand why I was such a mental case for so long.

For so long we were force fed Essendrug and lord help me Geelong. I know those two irrelevant clubs are heading for the wilderness. Tigers are back, normal service resumes! Eat em alive!!

- how did you become Richmond supporter? Growing up in SA in the late 80's / early 90's we didnt see a lot of VFL/AFL footy on the TV. So grew up a Sturt supporter and pretty much just followed them. The Crows then came in 91ish which brought the AFL to our attention. Obviously every man and their dog locally started supporting the Crows which became boring as everyone liked the same team. Our local sides colors were Maroon and Yellow so i had a brief period or following the Bears before a player or couple of players caught my eye and its fair to say it was love at first sight. Wayne Campbell was really at the top of his game then but as a young forward myself Matthew Richardson was simply fascinating. We moved towns when i was 5 and the side my old man played over 200 games for locally were the Tigers and i loved going back there so naturally with Richo in full force and the black and yellow connection i chose the Tigers. Have had many lean years since then but all was repaid in 2017 and i wouldnt change a moment of it for anything.

- are you from a mixed team family? Yeah so my olds jumped on the Crows when they came in and have never waivered. Made for an interesting Grand Final in 2017 but at the end they were happy the Tigers won if it was only for my excitement. Dad hates Jack Riewoldt but i told him thats fine cause i hate Tex Walker. Evens :p

- if you have kids who do they support and how did that come about So ive got two girls 9 and 5. The oldest follows the Crows cause all the other kids do. She actually used to like the Cats cause well she likes Cats but has moved to the Crows. The youngest tells me she likes the Magpies and she dosent like the Tigers because Tigers eat people. Shes young enough that i will be able to convert her. We have one on way and if its a boy he will have no choice :). Mrs Wacky hates football. She has a cousin that played for Melbourne but couldnt have cared less.

And anything else related to the how and why you're a tiger. A couple of Tiger stories. The Day Richo kicked 10 against the Doggies there used to be a friday night text competition. Text in who will kick the most goals for the round for a chance at $2000. Well after a few beers i decided to post in Richo. Got a phone call monday morning from channel nine confirming i entered the comp and had won the comp. Thought it might have been my mates playing a prank on me until i received a cheque in the mail 6 weeks later.

Second one is probs more a Swans story than a Tigers one. I am good mates with one of the 2012 Premiership Swans players. We went to the game, cheered them on and ended up out with them at 'Eve' Nightclub. Anyways so we were there having a few drinks with the players and i received this text from a mate. Was a funny as * Mitch Morton meme from the Grand Final. Well i was literally standing right next to Mitch Morton when i got it. I showed it to him for which he had a quick chuckle then gave me the filthiest death stare. I wish i still had it cause it was funny as * but hey he won a flag in the end.

How has this thread drifted back to page 6!!

Shed a few tears re reading some of the posts, I love this club!!
I thought about pinning it cause hearing everyone's story is pretty special.

Old posters and new posters alike!

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really a story of how i became a supporter but a good tiger story nevertheless so thought id share.

Think it was around 2010 we hadn’t one a game that year my old man decided to take me on my first road trip as a kid to adelaide.

Think we went across on the friday and were looking for a place to eat in ****ty hindley street that night. We were walking down the street and eventually bumped into some of the tiger boys getting a feed on a table outside.

My dad immediately stopped and said boys we’ve come across to watch you tomorrow. And anyway jack said to us well we better have a win for you.

We rock up the next day to football park and it poured down rain. My dad somehow managed to pick seats right near the port members seating. Both of us are very vocal at the footy and as you can imagine it didnt sit well with those ferals.

As the day went on somehow the luckless tigers went on to win that slog of a game. Im pretty sure it was hardwicks first win as coach.

As the siren went we ran down to the fence and were the only tigers fans really in the area. Jack spotted us and ran over giving me a signed ball and when he got closer he remembered we were the fans from last night.

Giving us a hug he said ‘i told you we’d have a win’

Something small but a great memory for me personally!
Love ya hardcore old man , haven’t won a game all year so good time to do a road trip and drive to adelaide , even I wouldn’t even do that and that’s saying something 😆

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I was born into it...Nan was a volunteer at the club and I used to go every week with her and Pa. Sat in the same seats at G every week (before reserved seating).

I remember Saturdays being dropped off at Nan's and driving to the G via the TAB to put Pa's bets on. We would arrive just before the gates opened at 11am. The bell would sound and the gates would open and we would go and get our seats. Nan sat with the same group she always had in the Olympic stand for 30 years.

We copped some smashings in the 80s but when we won, I was able to get into the rooms after the game...we would then rush to the car so we could hear ABC radio on how good the Tigers had been... Fantatic memories!!

My wife is a Carlton supporter and my daughter a bomber (I live on Essendon so she wants to fit in at school). She 14 now but still comes to Tigers games with me.

Love the club, always will and will always remember the 80s and Nan introducing me to this amazing club... Oh and I got a seat in 2017, cried and wasn't even ashamed

I remember the days they’d let ordinary punters into the rooms after the game until it was bursting , if we were set for a rare win I’d bolt around to get in to soak it all in

westiger

Yellow and Black Forever
Dec 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont, Darley FC, Bengals
My parents & I migrated from Scotland when I was about 18 months old in 1969 so we had no family history of following Aussie Rules. My parents hated Aussie Rules when they first saw it on tv & I was almost forbidden to watch it apparently. When I went to primary school I told them I had to be allowed to watch it or I'd be an outcast. Thankfully they relented.

I think I chose Richmond because we were top dogs at the time (I'm an original bandwagoner 😊) & I loved the tiger as an animal.

Went to my first Richmond match on Anzac Day in 1977 against Collingwood & became a member in 1982 & have been ever since, although i moved to the UK and Europe for about 11 years from 2001 (right after the Essendon final) & following the Tiges remotely during those years was certainly a patience tester. Everything about 2017 was a perfect reward for that hardship though.

Cheers
Hello Fraser.

Love your story. My wife is Scottish, but barracks for the Westcoast Eagles!!! Make life very interesting I tell you... :)

westiger

Yellow and Black Forever
Dec 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
My story starts with being born into a, at the time, all Footscray family. My Irish Immigrant Grandparents, Dad, Mum and Three Brothers, all dyed in the wool Bullies.
I was 5, when one fateful night, whilst we were all at my Grandparents house in St-Albans, their local Parish Priest was visiting with them. Not only was he a fantastic bloke, but he was also a TIGER Supporter!!!! To cut this story short, he bribed me to become a Tiger by giving me his treasured Tiger Emblem, which was a Steel Tiger with a footy in its claws. I was hooked and kept that Steel Tiger for nearly 3 decades.
My poor Mum and Dad. Being good Irish/Aussie Micks, they didn't say a word and had to watch their eldest son leave the Red, White and Blue and change over to the beloved Yellow and Black.
That was in 1963 and what glory was to come. Through all of those Premierships, my poor parents were kind of happy for me, but it still hurt to lose a supporter.
I now live in Perth. I have kept the faith, through hostile Eagle and Dockers crowds. I have even stood the door a few times at WA Tiger supporter functions, loving keeping Eagle and Dockers gatecrashers out!! ( I even mistakenly blocked our at the time Footy Manager, Trevor Poole and then Leon Camerons Parents!! )
This wonderful Football Club has been an amazing friend to me through some extremely tough times and hope to be enjoying them for a long while yet!!
Go Tiges ... Eat'em Alive!!!!

westiger

Yellow and Black Forever
Dec 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Firstly apologies if you are going to read this. The 'a' key on my keyboard is not working properly. There will be a lot of 'a's missing. I've tried to get them all.

I've just turned 49. My God where has the time gone.
My Dad barracked for Essendon and mum was Essendon too because of him but neither of them were passionate.
I remember vividly. I was 7 and for some reason I decided then and there that I would pick a club to support.
I sat in the middle of the loungeroom floor at our house on the farm in the Goulburn valley.
I also vividly remember deciding that i would choose between Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.
I'm not sure why but I chose Richmond. The year was 1977 and we had just gone through our late 60s and early 70s power years but I was oblivious to that.
I chose Richmond and have never waivered in 42 years.
I begged Dad to take me to a game. My first game was that year. He took me to Moorrabbin to see St Kilda vs Richmond. I still remember standing in the outer that day. The smell of tobacco from the pipes that were wafting over the ground, the crisp smell of the middle pages of the Footy Record.
We won that day, although my only real memory was Dad calling Mick Malthouse, Mick ****house.
Of course the stop on the way home a the Seymour burger stand was always a highlight. The days before bypasses and freeways,
a plain burger, a choc Big M and a White Knight.
By the time I was 10, Mum had been totally converted. She was now as passionate Richmond as I was.
We would spend Saturday afternoons together with the radio on. she would make casseroles and I would mark off each goal on a piece of paper while listening the game on radio.
later that night we would eat dinner as family and watch the Big League replay, much to my two sisters' annoyment.
Dad always kept barracking for the Bombers, but over the years, he developed a real soft spot for the Tigers.
he took me to many games. always Richmond.
The 1980 qualifying final, the second semi final. he never complained.
We couldn't get tickets to the 1980 GF. We watched on TV and I was over the moon. 10 years old and thinking this was the best thing ever.
In 1982 Dad again took me to both finals, but alas, we couldn't get grand final tickets. I was 12 now and the loss cut deep. I cried. Mum cried.
I was gutted, but there would be other chances yeah?
we all know the story.
The mid to late 80s were a disaster. The early 90s we nearly lost our club.
I remember giving $100 to Save Our skins, which in those days was a fair amount for a young bloke on a cadet journo's wages.
Living and working in Shepparton, I cuuld really only get to three or four games a year.
I knew the stationmaster at Shepp train station. A Melbourne fan. Great bloke. He'd go to the Dees games as well and when we were on the same train, we'd get a full first cabin on the way home and he'd buy a slab. I'd chuck him $10 and we'd sit there in our own cabin and drink, getting back to Shepp around 8.30pm.
In 1994 I decided to travel.
I spent the entire year travelling through Europe and settled in London where I lived and worked.
I missed the 1994 season, the year we went on that winning run and it looked like we were going make finals, only to lose our last two games.
I don't know what I would have done had we made.
there was no internet in 1994 and the only way I would keep up to date with the scores was through my beautiful grandfather who send me weekly newspaper clippings in the post.
The London Explorers Club also showed games on four day delay depending what video tapes were sent to them nd how long it took for them to get there.
I came back home midyear through 1995 and experience the delight of that season. The final loss against North, the win against Essendon and the flogging we received from Geelong in the prelim. Late in the lst term, the pro Richmond crowd started singing the theme song. The Geelong tried to block it out, but it was futile. Amazing.
Another five years in the wilderness, 2001 was our next finals appearance.
Between 95 and 01, I had shacked up with my now wife, had a daughter.
2001 was weird. The win against Carlton was overshadowed by the World Trade Center attacks and there was a genuine fear of what may happen next next.
I never really considered going to Brisbne for the prelim. Travelling interstate for games wasn't really a thing back then like it is now. Plus, I don't think any of us expected to win.
Most on here will be young enough to remember the abyss we found ourselves in from 2002 onwards.
A string of failed coaches and poor recruiting.
My loved never waned, but my hope of seeing a premiership had.
I had never been to a grand final before. I had the chance to but it never seemed right. I only wanted to go if we made it.
We all know the gut wrenching strong of elimination finals losses.
It seemed like we were destined to forever be a sick joke.
In 2014 I was back in London on holiday and I got a call from Dad at 2am. Mum was dead. She collapsed on the loungeroom floor. To this day the coroner still can't tell the exact cause of death.
I put a Richmond jumper on Mum's coffin and they played the theme song at the end of the service.
a year later Dad was having back pain but that was not unusual. As a farmer and truck driver, he had battled a bad back most of his adult life.
But when he saw blood in the toilet bowl, he knew it was not good.
He lasted 10 months. he refused to feel sorry for himself, but on 23 april 2016, he lost his battle.
Fast forward now to the 2017 season.
we all know what happened.
we all celebrated in our special way.
I attended the grand final.
a week after the game I drove up to Mum's grave and had a beer with her.

View attachment 656626

Even though Dad was a Bombers fan, he would have been stoked.
We scattered his ashes around his favourite game tree on the farm and I had a beer with him too.

View attachment 656628

So that's pretty much story.
I said after 30 September 2017 that whatever happens now is just a bonus.
Thanks for the fantastic Post mate. Very poignant.
Relating to my family, all Bulldog supporters, who, like myself, had all but resigned ourselves of never seeing Premiership Glory ever again!!
Move to 2016 and then 2017....our Family is still in shock. My old man, who passed away in 1998, would love to have witnessed his beloved Doggies and then our mob win Flags in succession!!
Anyhoo, thanks again for your memories...

I think i jumped on because my good friend at school (year 1) was a tiger. Then he changed to the dees. lol

I stuck fat. Surrounded by mates barracking for essendon and the dawks. That was the generation.

Year after year of disappointment. I dont think mates could ever understand. going to the footy with them, against their teams, id always want to leave before the game ends. They always insisted that i stayed. Today? They leave. lol

parents are not tigers, but are happy we won in 17. I gave them a weg poster (not weg but u know). im looking at mine right now. It says Premiers 2017.

miss norfy has a guernsey.

mrs norf is a tiger formerly lion.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Firstly apologies if you are going to read this. The 'a' key on my keyboard is not working properly. There will be a lot of 'a's missing. I've tried to get them all.

I've just turned 49. My God where has the time gone.
My Dad barracked for Essendon and mum was Essendon too because of him but neither of them were passionate.
I remember vividly. I was 7 and for some reason I decided then and there that I would pick a club to support.
I sat in the middle of the loungeroom floor at our house on the farm in the Goulburn valley.
I also vividly remember deciding that i would choose between Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.
I'm not sure why but I chose Richmond. The year was 1977 and we had just gone through our late 60s and early 70s power years but I was oblivious to that.
I chose Richmond and have never waivered in 42 years.
I begged Dad to take me to a game. My first game was that year. He took me to Moorrabbin to see St Kilda vs Richmond. I still remember standing in the outer that day. The smell of tobacco from the pipes that were wafting over the ground, the crisp smell of the middle pages of the Footy Record.
We won that day, although my only real memory was Dad calling Mick Malthouse, Mick ****house.
Of course the stop on the way home a the Seymour burger stand was always a highlight. The days before bypasses and freeways,
a plain burger, a choc Big M and a White Knight.
By the time I was 10, Mum had been totally converted. She was now as passionate Richmond as I was.
We would spend Saturday afternoons together with the radio on. she would make casseroles and I would mark off each goal on a piece of paper while listening the game on radio.
later that night we would eat dinner as family and watch the Big League replay, much to my two sisters' annoyment.
Dad always kept barracking for the Bombers, but over the years, he developed a real soft spot for the Tigers.
he took me to many games. always Richmond.
The 1980 qualifying final, the second semi final. he never complained.
We couldn't get tickets to the 1980 GF. We watched on TV and I was over the moon. 10 years old and thinking this was the best thing ever.
In 1982 Dad again took me to both finals, but alas, we couldn't get grand final tickets. I was 12 now and the loss cut deep. I cried. Mum cried.
I was gutted, but there would be other chances yeah?
we all know the story.
The mid to late 80s were a disaster. The early 90s we nearly lost our club.
I remember giving $100 to Save Our skins, which in those days was a fair amount for a young bloke on a cadet journo's wages.
Living and working in Shepparton, I cuuld really only get to three or four games a year.
I knew the stationmaster at Shepp train station. A Melbourne fan. Great bloke. He'd go to the Dees games as well and when we were on the same train, we'd get a full first cabin on the way home and he'd buy a slab. I'd chuck him $10 and we'd sit there in our own cabin and drink, getting back to Shepp around 8.30pm.
In 1994 I decided to travel.
I spent the entire year travelling through Europe and settled in London where I lived and worked.
I missed the 1994 season, the year we went on that winning run and it looked like we were going make finals, only to lose our last two games.
I don't know what I would have done had we made.
there was no internet in 1994 and the only way I would keep up to date with the scores was through my beautiful grandfather who send me weekly newspaper clippings in the post.
The London Explorers Club also showed games on four day delay depending what video tapes were sent to them nd how long it took for them to get there.
I came back home midyear through 1995 and experience the delight of that season. The final loss against North, the win against Essendon and the flogging we received from Geelong in the prelim. Late in the lst term, the pro Richmond crowd started singing the theme song. The Geelong tried to block it out, but it was futile. Amazing.
Funnily enough Steven Tingay was with us that day. He was quickly developing a reputation as a very good young player for Melbourne. Being a Shepp boy he and the rest of us blokes were good mates. He'd go in to a very very good career. He said to me as we were leaving the ground that day: "Imagine if Richmond ever actually win a flag".
Another five years in the wilderness, 2001 was our next finals appearance.
Between 95 and 01, I had shacked up with my now wife, had a daughter.
2001 was weird. The win against Carlton was overshadowed by the World Trade Center attacks and there was a genuine fear of what may happen next next.
I never really considered going to Brisbne for the prelim. Travelling interstate for games wasn't really a thing back then like it is now. Plus, I don't think any of us expected to win.
Most on here will be young enough to remember the abyss we found ourselves in from 2002 onwards.
A string of failed coaches and poor recruiting.
My loved never waned, but my hope of seeing a premiership had.
I had never been to a grand final before. I had the chance to but it never seemed right. I only wanted to go if we made it.
We all know the gut wrenching strong of elimination finals losses.
It seemed like we were destined to forever be a sick joke.
In 2014 I was back in London on holiday and I got a call from Dad at 2am. Mum was dead. She collapsed on the loungeroom floor. To this day the coroner still can't tell the exact cause of death.
I put a Richmond jumper on Mum's coffin and they played the theme song at the end of the service.
a year later Dad was having back pain but that was not unusual. As a farmer and truck driver, he had battled a bad back most of his adult life.
But when he saw blood in the toilet bowl, he knew it was not good.
He lasted 10 months. he refused to feel sorry for himself, but on 23 april 2016, he lost his battle.
Fast forward now to the 2017 season.
we all know what happened.
we all celebrated in our special way.
I attended the grand final.
a week after the game I drove up to Mum's grave and had a beer with her.

View attachment 656626

Even though Dad was a Bombers fan, he would have been stoked.
We scattered his ashes around his favourite gum tree on the farm and I had a beer with him too.

View attachment 656628

So that's pretty much story.
I said after 30 September 2017 that whatever happens now is just a bonus.

Mick ****house??
Thank God the behavioural police weren't patrolling the terraces back then, you and dad would have been in Seymour by half time ;)

Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Dad came to Melbourne on a boat from Greece in the 60s, settling in Richmond. His first primary school teacher was Paddy Guinane (who was playing for the Tigers at the time.) Dad couldn't speak a word of English, and speaks so fondly of how Paddy helped him feel at home. Safe to say Paddy instantly became a larger than life hero for Dad, and we've been Tigers ever since. What I would've given to have Richo as my teacher!

Early photos show me at Sovereign Hill Ballarat with a Saints beanie...probably because i liked Trevor Barker.
When dad passed away when I was 9 y.o mum took us all to Italy to visit the relos.
I remember walking through Florence and I told mum that I wanted to barrack for Carlton and she responded with "No, their supporters are all criminals"...I then said "what about Richmond?" She said "yep, they're ok"..... So that was the start of my rollercoaster Tiger days...Thanks mum.
My son had no choice as to who he supports....My family is both Essendon and Norf, I'm the only Tiger.
My in laws tried to get my son to follow Norf but I told them that he wants to follow a club that will be around in 10 years and not have to fly to Tassie to watch them.
Go Tigers...
Thanks for reading.

Back