2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

ImAFreeMan

All Australian
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know I’ve said it already, although Ely Smith’s disposal is terrible his ball drop kills him, I don’t think I’ve seen him hit a target past 15-20 metres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just looking at traits and glimpses from this game and overall for the season... looking for players who could make an impact in the seniors (not including the likes of Lewy/Bastinac/Matho who have played plenty of seniors)I'd go with-

Cedric Cox, Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Toby Wooller, Mitch Hinge, Tom Berry. + E.Smith if he can tidy up his disposal.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just looking at traits and glimpses from this game and overall for the season... looking for players who could make an impact in the seniors (not including the likes of Lewy/Bastinac/Matho who have played plenty of seniors)I'd go with-

Cedric Cox, Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Toby Wooller, Mitch Hinge, Tom Berry. + E.Smith if he can tidy up his disposal.

Fullarton & Joyce?

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
wooler named in best pretty much very game of the year i wonder what he needs to work on to get a debut
think if he can build his tank he would be the ideal player to do the role Rayner is currently doing as that 3rd tll link up type player - ala crows lynch
Rayner to play deeper fwd with increased runs in the guts

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
It was good to see Cox spend a bit of time in the midfield that quarter. I think Cedric is a player who can fade out of games a bit too easily. But his disposal is usually excellent, well and truly capable of becoming elite if he can keep developing and increase his involvement in games. A bit more work on the defensive side of his game is also probably required.

Payne continues to be impressive. He seems to cover a lot of situations at this level quite effortlessly and his disposal is also very clean. He reads the play very well. I am sure his day will come next season. He just looks to have all the attributes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Saw on one of the players Insta stories Cedric had his left leg in a brace and mentioned season over.. I was really hoping Cedric could hit some form and provide some depth to the 1's if the opportunity arose.

Hopefully next year

Hopefully we hear something soon from the club.

Saw on one of the players Insta stories Cedric had his left leg in a brace and mentioned season over.. I was really hoping Cedric could hit some form and provide some depth to the 1's if the opportunity arose.

Hopefully next year
Hopefully 'only' medial or PCL

Hopefully next year
Didn’t Hinge limp off after one of those innocuous type of incidents yesterday as well, that could well be a knee?

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its pretty exciting to see the quality of our reserves team at the moment. Yes the level of competition has dropped a way a little and a full squad each week is helping, but I struggle to remember a point in the last ten years or so when I watch a reserves game and feel about half the side wouldn't be out of place in the seniors. We have:

- Basti, Walker, Taylor, Cutler, Robertson and Matho who have all shown some ability at AFL level. In fact that little list have all been regular selections I've the last couple of years.

- Keays, Cox, Allison, Skinner, Eagles, Starc, ASmith and Hinge who have all had a crack and could all make a case for another chance effective immediately.

- Wooller, Payne, Ballenden and Lyons have all impressed for a while now and would have already debuted in previous Lions sides.

- Really only leaves last year's drafties in Berry, Smith, Joyce, Madden, McFayden and Fullerton as guys who don't quite look ready at this point, but again may already have been granted a debut in previous years.

its pretty exciting, but must also be tough as a reserves player knowing how hard it is to get a run in the seniors now.

Back