Podcast Cat Attack Podcast 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 questions for the 2 St Joey intellects:

Been thinking about our centre clearance work. With our centre clearance work been our major weakness, who would you drop (Excluding Tom Atkins) to make way for Scott Selwood and Sam Menegola?

Should the Cats make a play for Darren Burgess to bring in new ideas and sports methods into our Sports and Fitness Conditioning department (Scott Murphy and Chris Dennis are the heads of the Sports Fitness Department at Cat land)? In my opinion, Darren Burgess could be the key in developing the right sports rehab programme for Nakia Cockatoo.

The Gov.

2 questions for the 2 St Joey intellects:

Been thinking about our centre clearance work. With our centre clearance work been our major weakness, who would you drop (Excluding Tom Atkins) to make way for Scott Selwood and Sam Menegola?

Should the Cats make a play for Darren Burgess to bring in new ideas and sports methods into our Sports and Fitness Conditioning department (Scott Murphy and Chris Dennis are the heads of the Sports Fitness Department at Cat land)? In my opinion, Darren Burgess could be the key in developing the right sports rehab programme for Nakia Cockatoo.

The Gov.
I’d say with our fitness running out games well and our short injury list we are sitting pretty well currently all things considered.

Go Catters

Hi all,

Cat Attack Podcast recording 4:15pm Tuesday - fire in your questions for Cas & Kingy before then.

A heads up for regular askers of questions, we will be recording this Sunday morning following the Crows clash, and on the Monday following the game against the Dogs.

Going back to the late 80's and early 90's for some political references here

Just like the "Banana Republic" and the "Recession we had to have", surely this was the loss we had to have.

For being nowhere near the class and intensity of Port, an 11 point loss papers over some issues. Should have been a greater margin.

Clearances were not so much good and even though we have been getting it done " good teams find a way type deal" - we didnt here and we werent close.

So - that all said - the Crows will be test. Is there a massive response coming? Did Kenny deliver the AFL blueprint for shutting us down?

I expect some changes - Sav in for Fort but id like to see Chook back in as well. He gets the inside ball out and that is what we need - especially seeing Sir Joel Selwood is not playing much like himself of late. Ive heard the knee tendonitis issues but he does not look right.

Can we arrest the one game fall from grace? Does Fog and Freddy get a sniff?

GO Catters

Last edited:
Here are three questions for the 2 St Joey intellects:

1) Young Sav comes in for Darcy Forte to give us some physical old fashion Damian Bourke and Barry Stoneham mongrel around the ground. Will the failure of recruiting a decent experienced ruckman (The Sausage eater was available in last year's draft) who can improve our clearances from ball ups and centre bounces bite us up the backside?

2) How can we improve our starts from the start of the opening bounce? Can our poor 1st quarter starts relate to centre clearances where ruck tap work and the ability of our 2nd tier mids to shark the ruck tapout from the opposing ruckman be the issue? As Malcolm Blight said during our glory years (that is why he valued Damian Bourke back in 1991 and he came close to winning a Brownlow Medal in 1991 until he did his knee during the Gee v Essendon game at Kardina Park in July 1991 and Leigh Matthews valued Damian Bourke's intellectual ruck knowledge during Brisbane's great era), the game starts in the middle and getting the centre clearance is crucial. Do our midfielders have the smarts to shark the ruck tap out of the opposing ruckman?

3) Here is a choice: Menegola or Cam Guthrie? Is Cam Guthrie's presence in the midfield rotations a contributor to our inability to win the centre clearances?

I am not pushing the red button. We had to lose a game some day but all coaches look for trends in the game during the mid season to become the trend setter. I am just concerned that our centre clearance strategies against the best rucks can be exposed.

THE GOV

Last edited:
2019 has seen Joel Selwood undergo a positional switch, moving away from his favored onball role and on to the wing. The accepted narrative seems to be that this has been an unequivocal success not just in terms of the way it will help us long-term, but also in terms of the short-term benefits it has yielded us. But to what extent is that narrative actually true? I can buy the "it will help us in the future" part of things, but I'm unconvinced of how useful it's been to our premiership push this year. We've been getting beaten in the clearances most weeks and I'm not sure there's a convincing case to be made that there's been too many through the midfield who have made significant gains in their development. Besides Tim Kelly, who was already playing onball and would have done so anyway even if Joel had stayed in the center, which inside midfielders have raised their game a level or two in Joel's absence from the clinches? Is there anyone who has *truly* thrived under the increased responsibility in the way some have suggested? Constable was held up as the poster boy for this at the start of the season but he was dropped early doors and hasn't got a look in since. Parfitt likewise hasn't had a breakout year - his pressure acts have been great, but otherwise Brandon's output is more or less identical to 2018. Guthrie has been solid, sure, but he's still no more than a decent foot soldier.

Thoughts, boys? Have the performances of our young mids been overhyped?

Last edited:
have to ask this question. Minutes from the final siren against Port..
What is the go with us after the bye? I just thought it's just been unlucky, clearly not...

Joel Selwood, he clearly isn't moving his usual way, yes his slowly getting a bit older but is there any truth about his knee tendinitis?

Going back to the late 80's and early 90's for some political references here

Just like the "Banana Republic" and the "Recession we had to have", surely this was the loss we had to have.

For being nowhere near the class and intensity of Port, an 11 point loss papers over some issues. Should have been a greater margin.

Clearances were not so much good and even though we have been getting it done " good teams find a way type deal" - we didnt here and we werent close.

So - that all said - the Crows will be test. Is there a massive response coming? Did Kenny deliver the AFL blueprint for shutting us down?

I expect some changes - Sav in for Fort but id like to see Chook back in as well. He gets the inside ball out and that is what we need - especially seeing Sir Joel Selwood is not playing much like himself of late. Ive heard the knee tendonitis issues but he does not look right.

Can we arrest the one game fall from grace? Does Fog and Freddy get a sniff?

GO Catters

I sort of got the feeling that the guys didn't know who you were referring to ..?? Perhaps not big "Nightmare on" fans ..

Freddy Krueger, Turbocat - sorry, did we not address the question?

BK.. no worries ..not my question anyway....just that it sort of seemed you didn't quite pick up who Daz was talking about ..

Who Knows ..maybe his potential carrys over to such a degree that we see Freddie Krueger masks getting handed out ..like there was the Scarlo wigs for a while years ago...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A special early edition of the Cat Attack Podcast being recorded at 9:30am, Sunday.

Fire your questions for Cas and Kingy by then.

Great win on Friday night - we needed a response and we got one. It took some doing and we get the chocolates in the end but there is still much to do.

Its the chicken and the egg. What comes first? "Is Stanley the issue in the ruck not getting the ball to the mids or are the mids just not working hard enough?

Blitz to the ruck seemed to solve the clearance issues after a while but perhaps its not that simple.

And Jed Bews needs to stay in the team. He took the AA small forward and bathed, toweled, dried off and packaged for shipping back to Adelaide Oval. That is not a one and done performance.

Can we go unchanged into next week?

Fogarty out for Sav maybe?

GO Catters

Hi guys, here’s a question I’d like to pose to the podcast:

Considering the need to find a new ruckman after Brad Ottens retired and how this is still an issue to this day, was the decision to choose Jackson Thurlow instead of Brodie Grundy in the 2012 draft the worst drafting decision since Hawthorn took Mitch Thorp ahead of Joel Selwood?

A solution to our ruck woes was dished up to us on a silver platter 7 years ago and we didn’t take it, and have been paying the price ever since. Instead we’ve had the debacle with Hamish McIntosh and have had to rely on inconsistent players like Smith and Stanley over the journey

Last edited:
Enjoyed you call guys ..Im starting think Ben has a bit of a Bosom fixation , not to mention obscure long forgotten weightlifters ... LOL

Guys I think the club erred at selection table .. I think Hawkins works better when there are other legit marking options to share the inbound ball with... Buzzas form in the VFL has him playing probably as well as he ever has ... and Freddie Krueger looks like he could be a Nightmare for opposition if and when he gets a chance.

Danger for one of the most gifted talented players I have seen ..is an aweful setshot . Id hate to see him being plauged by the Ghosts of Mooney if he missed a big goal in a big game . Does he recognise he has an issue , has he tried to do something about it?

Last edited:
Hi guys, here’s a question I’d like to pose to the podcast:

Considering the need to find a new ruckman after Brad Ottens retired and how this is still an issue to this day, was the decision to choose Jackson Thurlow instead of Brodie Grundy in the 2012 draft the worst drafting decision since Hawthorn took Mitch Thorp ahead of Joel Selwood?

A solution to our ruck woes was dished up to us on a silver platter 7 years ago and we didn’t take it, and have been paying the price ever since. Instead we’ve had the debacle with Hamish McIntosh and have had to rely on inconsistent players like Smith and Stanley over the journey

The Mitch Thorp pick.. perhaps the worst drafting choice since the Traiblazers took Sam Bowie at 2 leaving Michaal Jordan to be taken at 3 by the Bulls..?
I hate to think what adding Joel Selwood to that Haw era would have done ..it makes me sick to think about it.

What a great win on Friday night!! IMO, the more tight games we win the better we are off in September.

2 Questions for the St Joey Intellectuals:

QUESTION 1

We need a true ruckman with a physical presence who can drop into the forward 50 to allow young Sav to develop into a Nic Nat type of player. Can Benny apply his Ben Anderson intellect and rank the possible ruck recruits in relation to:

1) Centre Bounce tap work 2) Around the ground work 3) Physical bullocking work (Darren Flanigan, Mumford and Damian Bourke style work) 4) Moving to the forward line to kick 2 to 3 goals and to relieve the pressure off Tomahawk (The Incredible Hulk).

A) Sauce Jacobs
B)Patty Ryder
c) Sean Darcy (a part of the Tim Kelly trade if he wants to go home (Kelly's manager is in Geelong from 1 July: Tim Kelly is worth Sean Darcy and a top midfielder with run or a key position forward).
D) Jarrod Witts

QUESTION 2

The bye come September. Come September, should treat the bye week as a normal intense training week with a intra club practice game or a game against a composite GFL-GDFL side that comprises of player who do not make the GFL-GDFL finals to be played on a Saturday?

QUESTION 3

Any chance of KROCK trying to convince Justin Longmuir to defect to the Cats at the end of the year???

Last edited:
1st question.We are over half way threw the season... Which player's look like to be the "D" word ( delisted ) at the end of the season or even moved on, if they don't perform from now to the end of the footy season, to free up positions for the upcoming draft.

2nd Question. If Sav not fit to take on the Dogs. Would you play Stanley/Smith combination? Yes they didn't do it last year but surely its worth a try?

Last edited:
RD 15 Cat Attack Podcast now Proudly Presented by Kerr's Hire:

Tell me Benny doesn't sound a little bit subdued the morning after the night before - he's still there 100% but MR Raspy has some presence....

GO Catters

Gryan Miers and Stephen Milne; Benny pointed out the similarity which I'd not considered before. It's a good observation to make. Hopefully that's where the similarity ends.

Gryan Miers and Stephen Milne; Benny pointed out the similarity which I'd not considered before. It's a good observation to make. Hopefully that's where the similarity ends.
Difference being, apart from the DH factor, that Gryan covers more ground during a game than just about any AFL player.
Milne was a stay at home goal sneak who would've shat himself in the backline or midfield.

Hi all,

Cat Attack Podcast with special guest Pete Ryan (The Age) recording at 11am Monday.

Benny still away, Kingy in the hosts chair.

Here are two questions for Pete Ryan and Kingy can be the devil's advocate (hope Pete can say what he thinks on this podcast without putting his Age journo hat on: Newtown resident Warwick Hadfield will be listening):

1) Since 2007, the Cats have turned over their fitness and conditioning staff every 4 to 5 years to prevent complacency from creeping into the Sports science department. Nothing against Chris Dennis and Scott Murphy, will the Cats offer the kitchen sink to Darren Burgess? In my opinion, only there are three fitness gurus who can solve Nakia Cockatoo's problem: Andrew Russell, Darren Burgess and John Quinn.

2) Can this three way trade deal work if Tim Kelly decides to leave for WA. Tim Kelly is the best 1st and 2nd year recruit since Tom Hafey and Bill McMaster got Greg Diesel Williams to Geelong in 1984. You cannot trade a potential Top 2 Brownlow Medalist and the best 2nd year recruit since Greg Diesel Williams for a Toyota Camry (1st round draft picks):

Tim Kelly goes to Eagles.
The Cats get the one of the Hill Brothers and Patty Ryder from Port Power.
Dockers give their 1st round draft pick to the Eagles.
The Eagles then on trade the Dockers' 1st round draft pick to the Power.
Kelly goes to the Eagles and we Patty Ryder from Port Power who has been superseded by Scott Lycett.

it is a win-win for all clubs. I back the Eagles, Dockers and Port to develop their draftees into A grade players. And young Sav has the time to develop into a part time ruckman and key forward.

THE GOV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back