Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't kept an eye on this years crop what types are all 3 of those?
McAsey is a key back
Kemp is a tall mid who is versatile enough to play forward or back
Stephens is an inside mid

Stephens a FA he can go wherever freely the only relevance is if the brothers still want to play together a Vic club might sign Stephen if it gets Brad there too.
Look Hill has 2yrs on his contract they can still hold him in 12 months they are not trading him PLUS high picks for Kelly. As i said they might swap R1s with us or do some other trade that slides them down the order but improves their points but thats only bc Henry probably gets bid on before their R1 anyway.
Kelly is a better player yes but Hills very very good the difference is marginal and contract status plays a huge role. If Kelly had 2yrs to run we wouldnt trade him and a R1 for Hill either. Lets be pragmatic.
Also a top 10 pick and 2 quality players is basically more than the Judd trade. Good luck getting that.
If he wins the Brownlow and becomes a premiership player what do you really think? I know that Geelong want two first rounders and one of those must be at least top 5, this won't be an easy trade. Yes, this trade will be bigger than Judd's! Of course he might just stay at Geelong for the next two years and currently that is looking more likely every day! I would rather keep him than have any of the Hills!

McAsey is a key back
Kemp is a tall mid who is versatile enough to play forward or back
Stephens is an inside mid
I think we can agree on 2 of them... Putting aside my preference for DeKoning Im not convinced the Mcasey is a single figure worth to us..maybe to others if they like him.. id rather find another mid ..and look to fill our backline tall requirements the way we have more often than not.

In the end.. if we end up mcasey or whoever..as usual I'll be 100% behind them but we are a long way out atm.. so I have a bit of time to contrary to conciliatory popular thought. The success of Jkolo shows we really do not have to go for the best at draft ..its about what they will be like after 2-4 years in our system.If we go for a tall kid id prefer Jackson or DeKoning ...maybe 20-30 ish ..maybe they slip later. They would take time. If we need someone quicker than that then I suspect we will look at trade or look at delisted the fa's and pick up a tall for zip.

Stephens could be the bargain of the draft if he comes back 100% ..broken legs are always a bit cautionary imo.. not that im a medical person ..but too many over the years have seen guys never come back from broken bones ..whether its legs or feet or whatever. Kemp I have liked for some time who may or may not be a mid long term, add another mid to the like Stephens then... who ?

It all depends on the picks we have doesn't it. I doubt its the siren names getting screamed as the top 5 will be available with our pick. Put it this way ... CalT list ..had Kemp at 7 , Mcasey at 8 and Flanders at 10 ... I think Id take Flanders before Mcasey... and I cant see us having 7 and 10.

As I said its all about the picks we have anyway.. odds are they are all gone before our pick unless we gain an earlier R1 pick than we look like getting thru our finish position. Its quite possible that Green , Henry , Meed and Maginness get bids top 20 ... 20 that puts a late R1 pick into the 20's.

I think we can agree on 2 of them... Putting aside my preference for DeKoning Im not convinced the Mcasey is a single figure worth to us..maybe to others if they like him.. id rather find another mid ..and look to fill our backline tall requirements the way we have more often than not.

In the end.. if we end up mcasey or whoever..as usual I'll be 100% behind them but we are a long way out atm.. so I have a bit of time to contrary to conciliatory popular thought. The success of Jkolo shows we really do not have to go for the best at draft ..its about what they will be like after 2-4 years in our system.If we go for a tall kid id prefer Jackson or DeKoning ...maybe 20-30 ish ..maybe they slip later. They would take time. If we need someone quicker than that then I suspect we will look at trade or look at delisted the fa's and pick up a tall for zip.

Stephens could be the bargain of the draft if he comes back 100% ..broken legs are always a bit cautionary imo.. not that im a medical person ..but too many over the years have seen guys never come back from broken bones ..whether its legs or feet or whatever. Kemp I have liked for some time who may or may not be a mid long term, add another mid to the like Stephens then... who ?

It all depends on the picks we have doesn't it. I doubt its the siren names getting screamed as the top 5 will be available with our pick. Put it this way ... CalT list ..had Kemp at 7 , Mcasey at 8 and Flanders at 10 ... I think Id take Flanders before Mcasey... and I cant see us having 7 and 10.

As I said its all about the picks we have anyway.. odds are they are all gone before our pick unless we gain an earlier R1 pick than we look like getting thru our finish position. Its quite possible that Green , Henry , Meed and Maginness get bids top 20 ... 20 that puts a late R1 pick into the 20's.
I find it very hard to rate 200cm types so I'll reserve those opinions for the better judges because both Jackson and DeKoning give me nothing. I like the WA captain and I like one or two others who may fall to our pick. I think there's a bit of talent in this draft.

I think we need to grab at least one tall in this draft. Already we have Constable, Fogarty, Brownless, Cockatoo, Jarvis and Kennerley developing as mid/forwards in the VFL. I’d say another mid or two plus a quality tall. Really like Cockarfitt group albeit it’s probably a bit ambitious unless we get a ripper trade for Kelly.

If he wins the Brownlow and becomes a premiership player what do you really think? I know that Geelong want two first rounders and one of those must be at least top 5, this won't be an easy trade. Yes, this trade will be bigger than Judd's! Of course he might just stay at Geelong for the next two years and currently that is looking more likely every day! I would rather keep him than have any of the Hills!

We cant trade him wherever we want.
If he says he wants to go we have try and get a deal done.
He wont want to go to a bottom 5 club and clubs are not going to trade a top 5 pick in a 3way deal it rarely happens.
Its not a realistic expectation.

I think we need to grab at least one tall in this draft. Already we have Constable, Fogarty, Brownless, Cockatoo, Jarvis and Kennerley developing as mid/forwards in the VFL. I’d say another mid or two plus a quality tall. Really like Cockarfitt group albeit it’s probably a bit ambitious unless we get a ripper trade for Kelly.

Id say we have little chance to get all of them ..3 picks in the top 30..OK.. but 2 picks in the top10 according to some.. who and what we be able to get will become far clearer after Oct .. so plenty of time yet to prognosticate

I find it very hard to rate 200cm types so I'll reserve those opinions for the better judges because both Jackson and DeKoning give me nothing. I like the WA captain and I like one or two others who may fall to our pick. I think there's a bit of talent in this draft.

There is talent and Robertson has aspects that appeal..needs to work on his kicking...he is basically a better version of Fogarty. YOTC player he liked Taylor is another with acknowledged talent... the trick I feel will be finding the guys who have just as much to offer but not as acknowledged.

Last edited:
He wont want to go to a bottom 5 club and clubs are not going to trade a top 5 pick in a 3way deal it rarely happens.
Yep.
There are 5 to 10 recent trade that sort of set a benchmark of what we probably get.. and it will range depending on where he goes ..and who they lose ... but it would be highly improbable that we get a pick that early. It like haw want to move up from their pick to 1 or 2 ..even that will not be easy.. Its not the NBA where we see atm players and deals all over the place.
2 R1's ..maybe one in the 8-12 range .. and the other late or a future with maybe a R3 etc going back.. to some degree it will be based on the points or how early that r1 is. Take a player instead of the picks and really muddys it.

That's his problem not Geelong's. Freo and West Coast still have to trade for him in order to secure him. Forget about pre season drafts etc as there are plenty of cashed up clubs that will match any offer and will not let him slip down to the WA clubs. It will be a massive deal if in fact it goes through at all? If Kelly and his manager are smart they should take the two year trigger deal! Stay at Geelong until the end of 2021 at least! Geelong will not settle for anything less than a top 5 pick being part of the deal.If he wins the Brownlow then they will chase pick one or two plus a player! I think he will end up staying.

That's his problem not Geelong's. Freo and West Coast still have to trade for him in order to secure him. Forget about pre season drafts etc as there are plenty of cashed up clubs that will match any offer and will not let him slip down to the WA clubs. It will be a massive deal if in fact it goes through at all? If Kelly and his manager are smart they should take the two year trigger deal! Stay at Geelong until the end of 2021 at least! Geelong will not settle for anything less than a top 5 pick being part of the deal.If he wins the Brownlow then they will chase pick one or two plus a player! I think he will end up staying.

No its our problem unless he is prepared to sign the trigger deal. Thats how trades work.

I can't say I'm a fan of Cerra... Nor Cox... Bradley Hill maybe in a trade but we need a first round pick our way in that trade. Ed langdon also.
If we took one of their younger Rucks in Meek, as steak knives, then I'd still expect two first round picks, we could send them a token fourth rounder with TK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a big trade period coming up and the cats will be interesting more so on what senior players leave the likes of S Selwood, Smith, Henderson, Taylor, Ablett it will open bit of cap space even if we kept ablett for another year still a bit to work with then their is the Kelly situation will open a Pandora box.

I can't say I'm a fan of Cerra... Nor Cox... Bradley Hill maybe in a trade but we need a first round pick our way in that trade. Ed langdon also.
If we took one of their younger Rucks in Meek, as steak knives, then I'd still expect two first round picks, we could send them a token fourth rounder with TK.

You think its TKelly <> BHill +Langdon+R1 ? I cant see that happening .

If Hill comes ..my guess is we get a R2 as icing and thats it. Freo will want a couple of R3 picks for the likes of Henry ..if the trade out their early picks as they go from 27-30 ish to 80

No its our problem unless he is prepared to sign the trigger deal. Thats how trades work.
Pull the trigger on the deal .. I like it.
We all get a little suckered into its going to be a an OK corral but I cant see it happening. IF Geelong cant convince TK to stay .. then we will try to get as good as we can get without bloodshed.. and move on. Results like yesterday make it a lot more difficult to convince TK that the grape is better than the banana. WC did a number on Freo.. different team with a fit NicNat. We play Freo in a couple of weeks ..it might not be ideal if we go over there and lose but it may have some upside to it.

I know this years draft doesn't look like last years but there are still some very good kids... if we add a Robertson and a Flanders for example..perhaps a Stephens as well ..we are starting to see a new group of mids. The Combine will be a key for us .. I doubt we draft anyone who struggles to run it out .. it certainly helped the like of Miers... If we like the idea of someone with a couple of Pseason in him then sure ask about Brodie..big body..but again..not sure on his running .If we dont do something about our midsetup then the backs and forwards will get minimised no matter how talented.

Could be a big trade period coming up and the cats will be interesting more so on what senior players leave the likes of S Selwood, Smith, Henderson, Taylor, Ablett it will open bit of cap space even if we kept ablett for another year still a bit to work with then their is the Kelly situation will open a Pandora box.

If Coniglio suddenly said I want in then a lot of those would be under pressure ... but really Taylor has done enough for another year ..Henderson probably gets an offer ..whether its mark rate or not... not sure.. Ablett up to him.
The advantage of going to draft is it add talent on a y1y2 wage....the disadvantage when you find someoen like TK..is he is going to go from 200 +/- a bit.. to something like 1M dollars ...

You think its TKelly <> BHill +Langdon+R1 ? I cant see that happening .

If Hill comes ..my guess is we get a R2 as icing and thats it. Freo will want a couple of R3 picks for the likes of Henry ..if the trade out their early picks as they go from 27-30 ish to 80
Nah, I meant more like this:

TK + 4th rounder = First Round Pick x 2 (albeit probably late ones) + Meek, or
TK (+ potentially token 4th round pick (max)) = B Hill + first rounder, or
TK (+ potentially token 4th rounder pick (max)) = E Landon + first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back