2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
No, but Richmond did draw 95,000 v.'s GWS to a prelim a few years back.

Richmond drew 58,000 v.'s Sydney in 2017 before we went on our premiership run. At that stage of the year Richmond were 4th and Sydney 14th.

Perhaps Richmond being crap for the first 20-25 years of WCE/Sydney/Lions/Adelaide/Port's existence might have something to do with underwhelming crowds versus the interstate clubs.

That's a cracking crowd for Essendon v.'s Sydney though. A reminder of the drawing power of Essendon when they get their act together.
I remember that game between the Tigers and Swans, I was actually there. If memory serves me correctly, this was the year the Swans lost their first 6 games. I think going into this match they had won 4 in a row en route to the finals. I think the Swans ended up winning the match...

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep. A lost opportunity for Richmond with both Marvel games.

Richmond vs West Coast in particular should be 55K+. A high drawing slot in 1:10pm Sunday with 2 potential top 4 teams playing.
I agree. If things continue as expected this will also pick up the neutrals. That element can add another 5-10,000 to the crowd if it’s a top 4 blockbuster at that stage.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I remember that game between the Tigers and Swans, I was actually there. If memory serves me correctly, this was the year the Swans lost their first 6 games. I think going into this match they had won 4 in a row en route to the finals. I think the Swans ended up winning the match...
Yep. Buddy turned it on in the last quarter after being well held by Rance. It was Richmond's last loss at the MCG until last year's Prelim final.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
657K last night on metro FTA....not sure if that includes the showdown ratings in adelaide yet....I would say whether or does or not would determine whether it is very good ratings or par

The blowouts in the two derbies probably didnt help much but the cats dogs game was a belter

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
657K last night on metro FTA....not sure if that includes the showdown ratings in adelaide yet....I would say whether or does or not would determine whether it is very good ratings or par

The blowouts in the two derbies probably didnt help much but the cats dogs game was a belter

Given the Adelaide number is 170k it's fair to say it does. 235k in Perth, pretty average everywhere else.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree. If things continue as expected this will also pick up the neutrals. That element can add another 5-10,000 to the crowd if it’s a top 4 blockbuster at that stage.

This.

Helped us draw 50,023 against the Eagles in 2012. Very similar circumstances to that Richmond v West Coast upcoming fixture.

Our next best against the Eagles was 42,977, the 2015 GF reply. The 2012 game was a Friday night fixture, 2016 was a Sunday twilight game. Scheduling makes a big difference for neutrals in my opinion.

The Richmond v West Coast game is a Sunday afternoon game so it’s not favourable to a huge crowd. The biggest West Coast games (?) in Melbourne have all been Friday and Saturday night games

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Given the Adelaide number is 170k it's fair to say it does. 235k in Perth, pretty average everywhere else.

Yeah 211 K in Melbourne which is below par I would think. Crows getting baked probably didn't help the showdown numbers

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
This.

Helped us draw 50,023 against the Eagles in 2012. Very similar circumstances to that Richmond v West Coast upcoming fixture.

Our next best against the Eagles was 42,977, the 2015 GF reply. The 2012 game was a Friday night fixture, 2016 was a Sunday twilight game. Scheduling makes a big difference for neutrals in my opinion.

The Richmond v West Coast game is a Sunday afternoon game so it’s not favourable to a huge crowd. The biggest West Coast games (?) in Melbourne have all been Friday and Saturday night games
Don’t underestimate the 1:10pm Sunday start. I think it’s narrowly behind Friday night (1) then Saturday arvo (2)... Then it’s Sunday 1:10pm. Reason is clubs use this fixture to drive “kids in free” and kick to kick. The crowds for this fixture are almost always decent.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

It seems to include both derbies, but then Adelaide also got the Dogs/Cats, and the showdown should have a separate rating. Weird.
198k in regionals. (regardless, because SA doesnt have a regional rating)
855k national (plus whatever Adelaide rated for Dogs/Cats)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It seems to include both derbies, but then Adelaide also got the Dogs/Cats, and the showdown should have a separate rating. Weird.

Obviously also the swans sydney ratings and of course south east Queensland were apparently gripped by the thriller at cararra

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

another 79k for the dogs/cats in adelaide.

Obviously also the swans sydney ratings and of course south east Queensland were apparently gripped by the thriller at cararra

afternoon footy. I can only assume 7 wanted to promote the biggest numbers possible.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Crowd of around 10700 in hobart today,disappointing crowd for sure,the crowds in Hobart this year have really dropped for some reason.

brad

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2004
ESSENDON
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
If Essendon Vs North Melbourne was to be played at the G next Saturday instead of Marvel it could have reached near on 70K will be lucky to get 45K.

A fantastic round for crowds, one of the best for a long time.

The first time in history that there's been 5 crowds over 50k in the same round.

All 3 MCG games outdid the high predictions put up by the MCG. The Showdown and Derby produced the expected excellent crowds, while Dogs/Cats and Suns/Tigers were both over expectations as well.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
A fantastic round for crowds, one of the best for a long time.

The first time in history that there's been 5 crowds over 50k in the same round.

All 3 MCG games outdid the high predictions put up by the MCG. The Showdown and Derby produced the expected excellent crowds, while Dogs/Cats and Suns/Tigers were both over expectations as well.

I was just about to look into that myself

Back