The state of the Giants and Suns

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Remember a few years ago when everyone was constantly complaining about all the draft picks and salary cap concessions the Giants and Suns were getting? Right about now was supposed to be the middle of their window. I heard people predicting a 5-10 year block where only they would win premierships. And yet, the Suns are abysmal and the Giants are a good but not great team. Who would have picked the Lions looking closer to a premiership and long term contension than either of the new teams?

Don't forget that next time the media and some people on this forum get hysterical about something in the game.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Draft picks aren’t everything, never have been and never will be. Suns had an awful culture from day one. Have been an abject failure and may as well be disbanded. Seriously. Almost ten years in and the gaffe is up.

Giants obviously far better but still after today’s loss, you’d have to question whether they have the right personnel to win a GF, let alone make one. Top 8 side but making up the numbers.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I have thought over the past few years that the Giants have a rather poor midfield. Sure they have the names, and on their day they look amazing, but too often their midfield completely falls flat and none of them stand up when the chips are down.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have thought over the past few years that the Giants have a rather poor midfield. Sure they have the names, and on their day they look amazing, but too often their midfield completely falls flat and none of them stand up when the chips are down.

They remind me of Geelong 2018 midfield. Selwood, Kelly, Ablett, Danger all playing very good games and the team result was no good. You need a mix in the midfield not four see ball get ball players.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Don’t be so mean guys. What happened to tolerance and inclusion? If getting rid of new teams because they’re no good for the first couple of decades of their existence was the norm then Hawthorn and a few others wouldn’t be in the AFL either.

Don't think the OP is having a go at the Suns, thread is having a go at everyone who said all the other teams should give up look at all their first round picks.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t be so mean guys. What happened to tolerance and inclusion? If getting rid of new teams because they’re no good for the first couple of decades of their existence was the norm then Hawthorn and a few others wouldn’t be in the AFL either.

GWS aren't no good, they're pretty good. But nobody barracks for that team, literally nobody. Gold Coast are a disgrace of an organisation, couldn't organise a root in a brothel. I'm all for tolerance and inclusion, but only if there is a population demanding it. Noone is demanding it for these teams, they are personas non gratas.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
GWS are fine. The most effective equalisation measure in the salary cap is stopping them from being an all-dominant team. Whether that was by AFL design or dumb luck I'm not sure, but it works. If they win a flag it will be due to quality list management and coaching, not a leg up. Their supporter base is developing nicely.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
GWS aren't no good, they're pretty good. But nobody barracks for that team, literally nobody. Gold Coast are a disgrace of an organisation, couldn't organise a root in a brothel. I'm all for tolerance and inclusion, but only if there is a population demanding it. Noone is demanding it for these teams, they are personas non gratas.

Bullshit go concentrate on segregating yourself from the rest of Oz.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I disagree entirely. You obviously missed some of the party media from our formative years. We were quite capable of organising a root in a brothel. I know it’s not WCE level but how about our coke fuelled golf days for example?

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
it’s pointless whining about the “state” of the giants and GC. They’re here to stay and as long as the AFL keep raking in tens of millions of revenue every year they will continue to support these two organisations as much as they can.

Both clubs struggle to win big interstate with limited crowd support. That’s a player mindset thing. Not about club culture and how they are run behind the scenes.

Both their home grounds offer little to boost the adrenaline of their players to perform for the fans.

Freo, Lions, swans and port have all enjoyed enormous support from their home crowds right from their beginnings.

It’ll take another 10 to 15 years before giants and suns feel that buzz.

Even if the giants had of won a flag in the last 2 years it still wouldn’t have changed a thing. It’s not like they would’ve suddenly gained 30,000 new members all eager to jump on board.

Both clubs are like lepers in their town. Two clubs surrounded by rugby league loving locals who will never be won over regardless of how much success occurs.

It’s about building up a base of kids and younger adults. And that will take time.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Remember when Matt Rendell said in 2010 or thereabouts that GWS & Gold Coast would win all the premierships from 2015-2024? And club officials were still backing that claim a few years after that.

His reasoning behind the claim was the unprecedented top talent they would recruit and that was part of the problem. Their lists were created with a recruiter's mindset without factoring in the right leadership, culture and tactics to develop them.

Obvious example is GC getting the best player in the comp in Ablett and for all his onfield excellence, having him as their main leader and personality really damaged them in the long term.

WCfan22

WCE tragic
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WWE
I think the 2 teams should have been made the way they were really. It was either that or they purely stole players from other teams by out bidding them and noone wanted that. My other train of thought is perhaps using a variation of the english premier league where the bottom 2 sides get relegated. Of course we would then need next level teams in a standalone comp made of a combination of vfl(not already in league), sanfl, wafl, ntfl, qafl and nswafl to provide the replacement team. It would make the teams have a penalty for poor form and keep it fresh. Just a thought.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Freo, Lions, swans and port have all enjoyed enormous support from their home crowds right from their beginnings.

Agree with most of your points except about the Swans having great support from their move to Sydney. Apart from the Hafey/Capper 86/87 era, their crowds until 1996 were ordinary role worse. Often got sub-10k crowds, especially in the 1992-94 era.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
If GWS had of been able to keep most of their players , they would of won a flag or 2 . The salary cap was always going to bite them. The draft picks they bring in for the players they lose always take a couple of years to develop.

They will be a good team for a long time and might pinch a flag but with the constant losing of players they’ll never be great.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree with most of your points except about the Swans having great support from their move to Sydney. Apart from the Hafey/Capper 86/87 era, their crowds until 1996 were ordinary role worse. Often got sub-10k crowds, especially in the 1992-94 era.

Yes true...I remember it well.

They took a bit longer of course and eventually built up a core supporter base.

Lions games at the old Gabba in the mid 90s were fun days. I went to many games at the time. Before long they had a pretty solid supporter base turning up consistently and once the ground renovations were complete (coinciding with the Voss lead success) they were on their way.

People don’t realise too that Brisbane the city is completely different to the Gold Coast.

The GC is like a waste land full of local people not remotely interested in any sport except the state of origin rugby games.

The majority just don’t give a #### about the suns and couldn’t be bothered going to game even it’s free tickets.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
This is a great article that explains a lot why neither will not win a premiership and don't deserve too.

Back