2nds Port Adelaide vs West Adelaide - Round 12 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Frampton terrific up forward, Hayes a great marking target, Marshall led well but couldn't buy a goal.

Frederick kicked goal of the year surely?

For those who attended, how did the tall timber triumvirate of Ryder, Ladhams, Hayes go?

Also how did the quirky quinvirate rotating forward line of Frampton, Marshall, Ryder, Ladhams and Hayes function?

Might be the tallest ever forward line in SANFL history.

For those who attended, how did the tall timber triumvirate of Ryder, Ladhams, Hayes go?

Also how did the quirky quinvirate rotating forward line of Frampton, Marshall, Ryder, Ladhams and Hayes function?

Ryder Ladhams Hayes
Everything was going for them i.e. weather and opposition. My take
Paddy isn't the player he was and is not all that "suited" to sanfl. Westies ruckman even before the bounce was getting into him.
Missed some straight forward snaps and all in all a bit underwhelming.
Ladhams is certain to feature more at AFL level especially if the rumours of other clubs sniffing around are true.
His mobility is impressive. Hayes was a constant threat as a marking target up forward. Solid kicking action too.

I had to leave at 3/4 time and apparently Billy dined out in the last. Todd was having an almost day it didn't really click for him.
What separated the teams the most wasn't really our tall timber but our very organised defence and link up play going forward.
They were punished for nearly all their slip-ups.

To start the 3rd qtr our boys were limbering up Northern end and I yelled out "onya Broady we love ya m8" he smiled and then
many in and around the cheersquad clapped and called out encouragement.
It was a really nice moment and I was glad he heard the good wishes.

Hayes is gonna be a beauty.

They did run off us a bit, but they were no where near talented or structured enough to take advantage of the lack of pace down there. Ryder did look the slowest when it hit the ground, but he also did some of the best crumbling from the talls.

Frampton was the standout today. Dominated up forward and look lively in link up play. Marshall had 5 set shots, for 0.4, all within range and kickable, he was very good but didn't get the reward. Hayes took a few solid grabs inside F50 and was a good foil for the other 2. Ladhams did what he does around the ground, he just looks so agile, like another mid, didn't do heaps when up forward but was barely up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frampton was very good today. Dominant up forward, particularly in the last. Went into the centre square at one stage and leapt right over the westies ruckman. Hayes was a good target up forward but seems to have lost his leap coming back from the knee. Ladhams very mobile and took a huge chest mark in the back lines at one stage. Ryder is still our best centre square ruckman - still has the leap and soft hands but did not do a great deal around the ground. Marshall looked good today - leaping and taking marks out in front on the lead. Hayes needs another 12 months (it was only his 10th sanfl game) but I would happily bring in any of the other 4 tomorrow

Hope Port win again next Saturday against the Crows in Port Pirie. Will be live on Ch7
A must win. Teams aren't getting points against West Lakes. It would give us an important advantage for a Top-3 finish.

Didn't get to see the game, but Marshall with 10 marks certainly piques my interest.

What sort of a role did he play, and what type of grabs did he take? Beating his opponent on the lead, outbodied, pack marks, etc?

Marshall had 5 set shots, for 0.4, all within range and kickable, he was very good but didn't get the reward.

I’m not sure I would say they were all kickable when I reckon there’s probably around 2 guys on our list who would have kicked half of them. That one over 50 out near the bowling green? Even Schulz would have been against the odds to kick that one. Marshall was playing up field to allow Frampton and Hayes to play deep so most of his shots on goal I’ll bet were around 50 out (I’m only up to h/t on the replay so far)

His goalkicking in general this year hasn’t been great though. Needs to lift in that area big time, it’s probably the most critical part of his game for me this year but I reckon that 0.4 is very misleading. Dixon westhoff wouldn’t have done much better from those spots.

I’m not sure I would say they were all kickable when I reckon there’s probably around 2 guys on our list who would have kicked half of them. That one over 50 out near the bowling green? Even Schulz would have been against the odds to kick that one. Marshall was playing up field to allow Frampton and Hayes to play deep so most of his shots on goal I’ll bet were around 50 out (I’m only up to h/t on the replay so far)

His goalkicking in general this year hasn’t been great though. Needs to lift in that area big time, it’s probably the most critical part of his game for me this year but I reckon that 0.4 is very misleading. Dixon westhoff wouldn’t have done much better from those spots.
I understand what you're saying, but when I say kickable for Marshall it is a different level than for the rest of our guys as Marshall is nearly the best shot on our list, but he isn't kicking that way at the moment. He should've walked away with 2.3 or 3.2 but unfortunately 0.4 didn't reflect his performance.

Marshall looked very confident in getting the ball, he just struggled to kick the goals.
Best I've seen him in 2 seasons.

Had he taken his opportunities he could have walked away with 5 goals. You could tell he had little to no confidence in his kicking, gave his first opportunity off and butchered his last and pretty poor body language afterwards, looked defeated.

It’s a shame, would have been a terrific game from him had he kicked them, but definitely a step in the right direction for him. Hopefully keeps building on that form and improving his marking and continuing to rack up 20odd disposal.

Just needs to get his kicking right, recon not that long ago someone named him the best set shot at the club, so shouldn’t take to much work.

The problem for us in the next couple of years is we are going to have Lycett, Dixon, Howard, Frampton, Hayes, Marshall, Ladhams all vying for three, maybe four spots at AFL level. That assumes that Westhoff and Ryder will hang up the boots next year. For once we appear to have a good crop of young talls coming on.

Howd McKenzie go?
He was part of a backline that completely smothered any Westies chance of scoring. When you have Broadbent, Garner, Mayes, Ladhams and Frederick as your backs the opposition will have trouble scoring.
Westies could move the ball quite smartly from defence but when entering their half forward line it all went downhill.
Our backs certainly set up multiple scoring opportunities for our forwards but through inaccuracies and turning the ball over their hard work was not rewarded. We should have scored over 20 goals easily.
Of our big men I rate Billy, Pete and Sam in that order. Todd was meh and Paddy looked as if he was playing a social game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back