VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it just me or is Sandringham a pathetic rabble that accurately mirrors the senior side? Long bombs to opposition inside attacking fifty. No direction, system and appalling skills. If this is an indication of the future, then god help us.

There's nothing there apart from Lonie. 8 goals down to the second bottom team half way through the third quarter. This in a game where a win would've seen us out of the eight on percentage only.

Don't forget to take Hamill with you when you leave, Cho. Absolutely disgraceful performance.

I remember a poster did a really good post going in to detail about Richmond VFL side preparation vs Sandringham last year and it was chall and cheese.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember a poster did a really good post going in to detail about Richmond VFL side preparation vs Sandringham last year and it was chall and cheese.
I went to a game either earlier this year or last year and saw how organised the sandy bench was compared to the geelong vfl teams bench and it was noticeable how much more structured and professional Geelongs bench was. Now obviously it isn't the be and end all. However it is indicative of the difference in professionalism that our reserve team is dealt with.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Maybe that suggests it’s the ability of players. I know we all hope it the coaches but I just see ordinary footballers
A combination of both, methinks. Terrible skills combined with clueless coaching. A deadly combination. It's not as though Hamill doesn't have form in the shithouse coaching stakes.

Marsh tries hard but has real flaws and is undersized, Joyce is a liability 1v1 and gets goals kicked on him too easily, and Clav has probably been the worst performed St.Kilda listed player two years in a row (well actually he definitely has been but I was trying to be nice). Also Rice has played forward all year because we are determined to kill his career, and 'White forward' is the VFL version of 'Carlisle forward' which causes the floodgates to open.

Now I am sure everyone will blame the midfield. That is what most on this forum seem to blame everything on

But at this stage Sandy have had 5 more I50s (we have 46 I50s for 12 shots. They have 41 for 28 shots).

But yeah. Its always the midfields fault ...

Edit: finished with 7 more I50s and got done by 10 goals. Outside of Lonie and White in patches, and Rice trying his guts out, nothing to see here today regarding the ones next week.

Yeah, I'm not being what Clav well does yet.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, I'm not being what Clav well does yet.
IMG_0484.GIF

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
From the VFL website:

Sandringham
Goal Kickers:J. Lonie 3, K. Answerth, B. Rice
Best Players:B. Rice, R. Young, S. Rowe, B. White, J. Lonie, S. Fox
FFS they just are just taking the p*ss now.

Yes I only watched on tv, but seriously Young 2nd best? Really??

Who the hell comes up with this bulls**t every week?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seriously they just are just taking the p*ss now.

Yes I only watched on tv, but seriously Young 2nd best? Really??

Who the hell comes up with this bulls**t every week?

Mr Magoo ...

Awful performance like watching a car crash .

The only bloke who made sense was Barlow in commentary.

“Particularly relevant was Sandy just bombing the ball , continue to ignore kicking the ball at 45 degrees “
to players in the open.

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mr Magoo ...

Awful performance like watching a car crash .

The only bloke who made sense was Barlow in commentary.

“Particularly relevant was Sandy just bombing the ball , continue to ignore kicking the ball at 45 degrees “
to players in the open.
No relationship at all between VFL results and AFL is there? Writing was on the wall 2 or 3 years ago ...

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Marsh tries hard but has real flaws and is undersized, Joyce is a liability 1v1 and gets goals kicked on him too easily, and Clav has probably been the worst performed St.Kilda listed player two years in a row (well actually he definitely has been but I was trying to be nice). Also Rice has played forward all year because we are determined to kill his career, and 'White forward' is the VFL version of 'Carlisle forward' which causes the floodgates to open.

Now I am sure everyone will blame the midfield. That is what most on this forum seem to blame everything on

But at this stage Sandy have had 5 more I50s (we have 46 I50s for 12 shots. They have 41 for 28 shots).

But yeah. Its always the midfields fault ...

Edit: finished with 7 more I50s and got done by 10 goals. Outside of Lonie and White in patches, and Rice trying his guts out, nothing to see here today regarding the ones next week.

Agree with most of it , for me Clavarino is a confused kid still like him , think he is over coached and lost
confidence in the role , was actually going well preseason , so was Joyce also, but think the later just panics.
Personally like Marsh , also will be handy backman going forward , don’t think he is fan of Hamill .

White been discussed many times .

The major issue I have with the alignment is all other clubs have strong nucleus of surburban & country
footballers filling the void in their squad , the Mornington Football league is full of them yet Sandy fill up
with kids from Amateur clubs on the cheap , hurts the development big time.

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree with most of it , for me Clavarino is a confused kid still like him , think he is over coached and lost
An elite intercept junior was probably never going to thrive in our system. Just a guess, but I would imagine he is getting the same instructions that Coffield and White have been getting about accountability and defence. Getting the same results too ...

don’t think he is fan of Hamill .

Is anyone? Great player, yes. But as a coach??

The major issue I have with the alignment is all other clubs have strong nucleus of surburban & country
footballers filling the void in their squad , the Mornington Football league is full of them yet Sandy fill up

Agree that is an issue absolutely. Disagree it is THE major issue.

Just my 2 cents, but biggest issue I see is the complete disconnect between the roles players execute at VFL, and what they are asked to perform at AFL. Amateur hour stuff

Yes that is related to recruitment somewhat, but not exclusively. Poor clubs can still field competitive teams, they have to just be smarter with their $$. Especially when it comes to their experienced heads. Seccull is a great pick up. Gilbo I understand completely too.

But perhaps paying someone like M.Barlow instead of N.Wright may have been a better investment...

Last edited:

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
An elite intercept junior was never going to thrive in our system. Just a guess, but I would imagine he has been getting the same instructions that Coffield and White have been getting about accountability and defence. Getting the same results too ...

Is anyone? Great player, yes. But as a coach??

Agree that is an issue absolutely. Disagree it is THE major issue.

Biggest issue I see is the complete disconnect between the roles players execute at VFL, and what they are asked to perform at AFL. Amateur hour stuff

Yes that is related to recruitment somewhat, but not exclusively. Poor clubs can still field competitive teams, they have to just be smarter with their $$. Especially when it comes to their experienced heads. Seccull is a great pick up. Gilbo I understand completely too.

But perhaps paying someone like M.Barlow instead of N.Wright may have been a better investment...

Probably overplayed major issue .

Bartel said something today pre game thought was spot on , said young guys will kick the ball towards
boundary line outside 50 going forward at the insistence of coaches purely because they prefer to not
score than turn it over .

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probably overplayed major issue .
It is hard when there are so many issues to choose from!

Bartel said something today pre game thought was spot on , said young guys will kick the ball towards
boundary line outside 50 going forward at the insistence of coaches purely because they prefer to not
score than turn it over .
Gem of a quote. In one sentence that encapsulates much of why North have won 5 of their last 6!

And why Jy Simpkin just had 36 disposals, 21 contested possessions, 6 inside 50s, 5 score involvements and 397 metres gained
While Gresh had 12 handballs out of 18 touches, 1 inside 50 and just 134 metres gained

Last edited:

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
It is hard when there are so many issues to choose from!

Gem of a quote. In one sentence that encapsulates much of why North have won 5 of their last 6!

And why Jy Simpkin just had 36 disposals, 21 contested possessions, 6 inside 50s, 5 score involvements and 397 metres gained
While Gresh had 12 handballs out of 18 touches, 1 inside 50 and just 134 metres gained
Gresh was targeted and bashed the whole game.
Did the team work to protect him??

No.

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
White been discussed many times .

Why can't Sandy keep any of the 20 odd under 18 boys ? Keep 3 or 4 of them would be great each year...

Back