Who is accountable for our club's catastrophic misreading of our list?

Remove this Banner Ad

My theory on the matey,cushy culture at the Crows is that the players , admin (i.e. Ricciutio's mates) generally do enough to get contracts renewed and build their real estate portfolio. But they don't have the nuts to take the next step. Keep the status quo.
Also notice that Crows players don't have any enforcers to stand up against flogs like Charlie the Dick son etc.
Ricciutto is a pretend businessman/board member who would be a nothing but for his playing career.
He is the root of the problems at Adelaide.

My theory on the matey,cushy culture at the Crows is that the players , admin (i.e. Ricciutio's mates) generally do enough to get contracts renewed and build their real estate portfolio. But they don't have the nuts to take the next step. Keep the status quo.
Also notice that Crows players don't have any enforcers to stand up against flogs like Charlie the Dick son etc.
Ricciutto is a pretend businessman/board member who would be a nothing but for his playing career.
He is the root of the problems at Adelaide.
I look at Sloane last night. Started with a hard tag from SPP. He was buffeted, blocked, pushed, shoved you name it.

Nothing from his team mates, no support, no nothing. And nothing from the coach. No move to shake the tag.

He was just left to rot.

That’s where we’re at

The Crows list has fallen now, but only a deluded Port supporter would believe that the Crows list has been poor every year under Pykes tenure.

Hey wait a minute, are you that guy who writes those flog Bay 13esque articles in The Advertiser? You know the ones that boasts about how Port are superior to Adelaide?

Now it all makes sense :thumbsu:

Yes. elpirate is Nick Ryan, a 3rd rate wine journo with bad taste in cravats

The club started the year believing we were contenders for a flag.

They were wrong.

Who should resign tomorrow?

Oh those seeds were set long ago, we committed ourselves to gunning for a flag in 2019 since what, 2016-2017 considering how we set out a lot of our contracts?

The end has come a lot sooner then 2020-2021.

Really an indictment of the club to not keep Charles, was shattered when he left, mid contract too.

I wonder if we’re underestimating the impact of losing David Noble?

He and Chris Fagan have done wonders up at Brisbane. Getting the right people into the right seats, building a great football programme

The issue is a lack of competitive tension at the club. Always has been. There is no change agent at the club to challenge the status quo. This is a board level issue, and it permeates the club all the way down to the playing group.

If ever you wanted examples, you only have to look at selection. Selection is just the visible example of every facet of the club. Its not that blokes don't want to succeed, or arent working hard enough. Its just that some just aren't the right people. The problem is, theres noone at each level of the club assigned or willing to make those observations and act accordingly.

That's why we continue to get the same outcomes.

I wonder if we’re underestimating the impact of losing David Noble?

He and Chris Fagan have done wonders up at Brisbane. Getting the right people into the right seats, building a great football programme
I've always felt that Noble was severely underrated by this forum.

A lot of posters seem to think that this guy's not part of the problem. I don't agree. What's the value of giving apologies if you don't accept you did anything wrong?

"Pyke didn't believe he made a mistake in selecting key forward Josh Jenkins after he missed the past three weeks with a knee injury.

Jenkins looked rusty, finishing with 10 disposals and failing to hit the scoreboard.

"He was one hundred per cent fit," Pyke said.

"He was confident, we back him in and at the end of the day, that's what you do." "

My poor memory seems to recall that years of history shows that after injury Jenkins has always taken weeks of playing to return to reasonable form. If I know that then surely the long serving selectors do too.

I look at Sloane last night. Started with a hard tag from SPP. He was buffeted, blocked, pushed, shoved you name it.

Nothing from his team mates, no support, no nothing. And nothing from the coach. No move to shake the tag.

He was just left to rot.

That’s where we’re at

Shaking a tag is a tough ask. just switch Sloane into a tagging role himself. Better value ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything would do. Players blocking for him? No care.

Players blocking is not part of their drilled and unchangeable midfield role so they don't do it.

There is ZERO dynamic intent in this team. No ability to change anything during the game to respond to conditions

Can we poach Craig Vozzo from West Coast this off season? Our footy department needs a clean out.

He's a proven Head of Football with runs on the board, he's worked his way up through a successful club.
Craig's originally from Adelaide, a lawyer and long standing player agent.

He would be able to have an impartial, objective review of the footy department, and be able to put the right people in the right seats.

Seems a huge improvement on our invisible head of football who to me has absolutely no communication skills.

Crows CEO Andrew Fagan described Burton as a strategic and innovative thinker, who had forged strong relationships inside the Club and across the League.

“Brett has an incredible work ethic, outstanding communication skills and a thorough understanding of the industry from a playing, high performance and administrative perspective,” Fagan said.

“We worked our way through a long and talented list of prospective candidates from across the AFL and beyond, and quite simply Brett presented himself as a compelling option for the role.

“He is widely regarded as having the attributes to be one of the industry’s leading football administrators.”

Crows CEO Andrew Fagan described Burton as a strategic and innovative thinker, who had forged strong relationships inside the Club and across the League.

“Brett has an incredible work ethic, outstanding communication skills and a thorough understanding of the industry from a playing, high performance and administrative perspective,” Fagan said.

“We worked our way through a long and talented list of prospective candidates from across the AFL and beyond, and quite simply Brett presented himself as a compelling option for the role.

“He is widely regarded as having the attributes to be one of the industry’s leading football administrators.”
lol .. I don't think I'll ever forget his insipid performance in the infamous presser last year

Have you looked at how much profit we have made over the last few years?
We are no shining example of a wealthy club.
And as it stands, Port has more income than we do.
They also have more expenditure too & make far less net profit & rely on more afl contributions. Why do you think they play in China!

Just stop trying to pretend you know something you don't have expertise in. This is my bread & butter.

The issue is a lack of competitive tension at the club. Always has been. There is no change agent at the club to challenge the status quo. This is a board level issue, and it permeates the club all the way down to the playing group.

If ever you wanted examples, you only have to look at selection. Selection is just the visible example of every facet of the club. Its not that blokes don't want to succeed, or arent working hard enough. Its just that some just aren't the right people. The problem is, theres noone at each level of the club assigned or willing to make those observations and act accordingly.

That's why we continue to get the same outcomes.
Have you had your meeting yet?

I know you don’t want to go down the path of asking confrontational questions but you’ve raised good points and you are in a position to ask them.

I also understand it’s good to have dialogue with the club and to keep that going, but really what do you gain? It’s nice to have the interaction but if you don’t use this as an opportunity to try and improve the club and that includes asking hard questions, what’s the point?

They also have more expenditure too & make far less net profit & rely on more afl contributions. Why do you think they play in China!

Just stop trying to pretend you know something you don't have expertise in. This is my bread & butter.
For something you say is your bread and butter, throwing out that they spend more money takes nothing away from the fact they earn more. Added to the fact that we make SFA profit each year means we ain't doing anything special.

Have you had your meeting yet?

I know you don’t want to go down the path of asking confrontational questions but you’ve raised good points and you are in a position to ask them.

I also understand it’s good to have dialogue with the club and to keep that going, but really what do you gain? It’s nice to have the interaction but if you don’t use this as an opportunity to try and improve the club and that includes asking hard questions, what’s the point?
We met with them on Friday. I have to have it cleared by the club after I write it up. My bits done, just waiting on the other two attendees. I should have it to the club by midweek, and hopefully able to publish next week. We got about an 8 minute interview with Andrew at the end, but the substance is in the conversation prior to that. It was a bit rushed this year, as we started late and Andrew had a meeting to go to after. I still found it valuable, for what it was.

As far as hard questions are concerned, sometimes it's not what you ask, but how it is answered. My impressions and opinions are due, to a large degree, to the answers I was given to some questions. Sometimes you have to join the dots, rather than be blunt about it. I got a couple of insights that have led me to think what I do about how things are down there.

But yeah - I do wish we had gone after, rather than before, that insipid performance.

The Burton era is full of total stuff ups including
Fitness -- what a disaster ,lucky taken out of hands and Saunders brought in.
Trading -- Carried on our poor history over last 10 years by poor or no trading to improve.
Coaching -- lost good coaches to bring in cheap as chip boys ,though Matter did deserve chance .
But the Hart selection to where proved not up to it both here and interstate to get appointed again incredibly as Fwd coach.
Only reason same as Burton getting his job as one of boys and Roo mate.
Recruiting
Unbelievable here that Hamish gets loved on this site as this area with our high picks been awful
Gallucci ---- might make it but not setting world on fire
Poholke -- Does ok but -no skill set say will be a regular AFL player and a chance to be delisted .

Fogarty --- We all thought going to be the man. But looks long way off but can only hope .
McPherson -- obviously a talent but why want another back flanker and injuries mean still not close.

We unbelievably had 3 picks under 20 when usually lucky to get 1
We went with 2 smalls ,proof will be if Jones pick was good or not but overs picked further down well in front but picking even smaller player with 2nd pick very hard to understand.
Pick 19 --- gave away to Carlton
Could we used with one of top picks to get 3 or 4. to got Rozee etc
Time will tell how pick 2 - 4 will get us

Move on or sign up
Not making hard decisions to move on or retire those that not taking club forward anymore.
Concern re players really want not signed .

Fogarty is only 19 and talls take longer than midfielders/flankers to establish themselves and Remember Doedee taken with pick 16 did not debut until his 3rd year which is very usually for a 1st rd pick.
Poholke was not a high pick he was taken with pick 44 and Mcpherson was also not a high pick he was taken with pick 40 get your facts straight.
Pick 19 has turn into a top 3 pick this year pretty good decision i reckon plus the gws trade during the draft got us Carlton's second pick this year anyway.

Trading i agree is not a strength of the club but the West coast Eagles are probably more conservative with trading and are on track for their
3 grand final in 5 years so it is the magic pill to been successfully.

Hamish Ogilvie gets ticks for Crouch,Lever,Milera,Doedee
Gallucci needs to show more
Fogarty is going down a silimar path as Doedee regrading his developing he just got more opportunities in his 1st year due to injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back