Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

100%. Anyone could go back and look if they had the motivation.

I’m calling bullshit on this. Mainly because I can’t be bothered sifting through 140 pages to find a credible poster calling him a dud. I remember people questioning his ability to kick 50 meters, I remember people questioning his professionalism when he had the incident with the scooter.

I honestly can’t remember a single decent poster calling him a bust.

I’m calling bulls**t on this. Mainly because I can’t be bothered sifting through 140 pages to find a credible poster calling him a dud. I remember people questioning his ability to kick 50 meters, I remember people questioning his professionalism when he had the incident with the scooter.

It’s in here. At least a couple of calls of a dud.

Many questioning his ability to play midfield.

A few showing faith and backing a young player in through a form slump.

I’m calling bulls**t on this. Mainly because I can’t be bothered sifting through 140 pages to find a credible poster calling him a dud. I remember people questioning his ability to kick 50 meters, I remember people questioning his professionalism when he had the incident with the scooter.

There was definitely a guy during the trade period who couldn't believe we had gotten rid of Ryan Clarke and kept Simpkin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there seems to be some disagreement over what opinions were expressed about jy in the past. i started going through and quoting but there were way too many messages and some would have embarrassed otherwise thoughtful posters. the start of the preseason was on this page if you want to have a look for yourselves https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/12-jy-simpkin.1152908/page-114.

to summarise, many posters questioned his overall talent and ability to make it as an afl footballer. the others who kept the faith in him believed he would only make it as a forward or even in the backline, but not as a mid. these posts had the most likes. astonishingly to me, there have been a great deal of posts to the effect of "what skills or talents does he even have? just a sidestep?"

the harshest criticisms of him can be found in game day threads and autopsy threads where people lose their minds during and after a loss etc. so i will pardon those.

please indulge me this one quote as i believe i was literally the only poster who expressed this kind of view, although quite a few users like the post:
disagree with all the posters trying to find a new position for him. ill double down on my last post in here. he will be an elite mid, mostly inside but the complete package.

i dont think it is a good idea to suddenly change his role, in which he has been dominating all preseason, impressing all the new players and coaches, just because he might have been underwhelming in the first jlt game with half our midfield out. by the way, he wasnt even bad. 10 contested possessions and 6 tackles is nothing to sneeze at.

as for the idea that there will be no room for him in the middle. well he is arguably the most talented bloke on the list and only 20 years old. i rate his ceiling higher than all the other players mentioned. we should give him a damn good chance to reach it.

I’ve been saying for a long time he’s a passenger.

Looking like a complete bust.

A total of 11 kicks in two JLT games and 2 regular season games.

Absolute passenger.
What is this guy's strengths again? I honestly do not know what he is good at.

Fortnite? Ping pong? f’ed if I know.

I'm not great at this multi-quote thing - but here's a couple of beauties...

The moral of the story here is that some folks have a tendency to jump the gun far too early with many players without taking in to account a myriad of factors that go in to evaluating players properly. It's a result of either inexperience, or just plain poor analytical capability.

The side a relatively new player lands in, is a significant factor that catches many poor judges out. Look no further than Richmond & Jack Graham at the end of 2017. 80% of this website would have laughed if you told them Simpkin was going to be the better player.

This f***er was everywhere. Every ******* where.
Didn't matter that Cunnington was getting tagged. This guy just pops out of the pack with the ball. In the centre, on the wing, in the forward line. Just side-stepping btches and taking off.
This is super exciting for us because it shows midfield depth.
It will be very interesting to see where we play Higgins. Jy has been adapting well to the pressure and inside responsibility since the GWS game.

Last edited by a moderator:
The moral of the story here is that some folks have a tendency to jump the gun far too early with many players without taking in to account a myriad of factors that go in to evaluating players properly. It's a result of either inexperience, or just plain poor analytical capability.

Says the guy who last year was saying Majak Daw was only on the roster for PR purposes before he almost cracked the AA squad...

But sure. Good point.

Not in here

Game Day Threads

Still has levels to go up. Reckon he'll become a lot better overhead and will work regular goal-kicking into his midfield play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back