Autopsy vs St Kilda // Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

What was clear is our lack of real pace around the ball. Shiel and McGrath have serious jets. Not much we can do about it at the moment though so just have to make sure the structure stands up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is it relevant that half of them were before Cunners had the ball?
Cunners doesn't play for frees whereas someone like Selwood would make sure he received holding the man every time. I think Cunners was still a big force for us around the ball today and will only get better at dealing with tags as will the other mids. He cleared space today for others at times and we won the clearances whereas against GWS we struggled with it.

Just because he's getting tagged, I don't want us to send him forward for half the game. That's just conceding to the opposition. Cunners can man up on other opposition players and we can block. He can work his way through it - tap the ball in front, lift the arms to handball etc.

Last edited:
What was clear is our lack of real pace around the ball. Shiel and McGrath have serious jets. Not much we can do about it at the moment though so just have to make sure the structure stands up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Get to the footy first.

9. Options aplenty for North up forward
Five-goal performances from Cameron Zurhaar and Nick Larkey will get the headlines for North this week. Their standout performances against the Saints on Sunday highlighted the main difference between the sides on the day – fully functioning forward set-ups. With Ben Brown adding another three of his own and Tarryn Thomas and Kayne Turner buzzing around the packs, the Roos looked dangerous just about every time they went forward. At the other end of the ground, however, the Saints appeared to be adopting a 'Josh Bruce or bust' approach to offence. Granted, the big forward did look imperious in booting four to half-time, and six for the game, but once Robbie Tarrant was moved to shut him down after the break, the goals dried up almost completely for St Kilda and the Kangaroos coasted to victory. - Stu Warren

We were 46 at one stage but didn’t put the foot down to blow the floodgate open. Still room for improvement. More killer instinct.

We had killer instinct mate, it was just Saints came at us hard after the 1st quarter

They played our tough tackling game, right back at us, we absorbed it and won

My Take in Bullet Form. :stern look
  • Great First Quarter.
  • Arguably Simpkin's Best Game for the Club.
  • Larkey's Best Game for the Club and a sniff for Rising Star this Week.
  • Zurhaar Terrific.
  • Goldy Great early.
  • Tarrant a General down back once again.
  • Loved Dumont playing the defensive wing man today.
  • StKilda brought the Heat in the Second Quarter.
  • Wood wanting to get back out on the park and play with injury gets a big tick from me.
  • Captain Jack simply Bulldozing through the opposition and kicking 2 goals.
  • Ahern has class inside.
  • Shaw a little late in making the move but at least he made the move of switching Taz onto Bruce.
Plenty to like. s**t to still work on.

Bring on Essendon. We owe those Turkeys. :stern look

I envisioned Simpkin being a crafty half forward type but he has turned out to be a very good inside mid for us.

Larkey's got such sure hands. I'm not sure what his ceiling is at the moment. What worries me is I said that same thing about Aaron Black and we all know how that turned out..

Zurhaar is a star! I think another poster said that he's as good as De Goey. I wouldn't go that far yet but he's probably the best young player we've had in 20 years.

Difference is Larkey is genuine key position size whereas Black wasn't. If Zurhaar reaches that level we would be very lucky indeed. That said, he's 2 years younger than JDG. Would be interesting to compare the two at the same age. Similar players that's for sure.

Loved Dumont playing the defensive wing man today.

Froggy was good today. Particularly in the first half.

The tempo of the match suited him.

Good game, some improvement points needed but we got the 4 points plus some percentage.

I still don’t know if we were ‘resting’ a tad or if we’re running out of legs after the recent tough games. I hope it’s not the later, especially now against * where we need to be fast.

How good was Jy though :hearteyes:

Thompson needs to play a lot better next week
McKay is ready to take his spot otherwise

Polec on the wing was soft imo there were times where it was his turn but we waited off the pack

Other critique would be brown should have played more decoy since we had better matchups but he kept taking the dangerous space which didn’t help us exploit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson needs to play a lot better next week
McKay is ready to take his spot otherwise

Polec on the wing was soft imo there were times where it was his turn but we waited off the pack

Other critique would be brown should have played more decoy since we had better matchups but he kept taking the dangerous space which didn’t help us exploit
Yeah I don't think Thompson is in any danger whatsoever. Polec was good again, routinely competed and won numerous one on ones. Polec being soft is a fallacy, plays an outside game but goes when he has to.

And what do you mean didn't exploit? Larkey and Zurhaar kicked 10 between them? Brown took Carlisle deep and often one out, letting the other forwards work without fear of being split in half by a 3rd man up in Carlisle. Did you watch the game?
On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I don't think Thompson is in any danger whatsoever. Polec was good again, routinely competed and won numerous one on ones. Polec being soft is a fallacy, plays an outside game but goes when he has to.

And what do you mean didn't exploit? Larkey and Zurhaar kicked 10 between them? Brown took Carlisle deep and often one out, letting the other forwards work without fear of being split in half by a 3rd man up in Carlisle. Did you watch the game?
On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ha, not 1 relevant point in his post.

Great to win to maintain the momentum. I've enjoyed our kick long and bust ass to win it back attitutde of late, but even so l didn't mind seeing the inclusion of some uncontested ball. Trying to create overlap by foot but not hand worked for us on a few occasions. I was interested hearing Goldies in-game interview where he reckoned, my words, we needed to refocus on taking territory by foot when under pressure and not encourage pressure on the ball carryier by faffing about with it. Knowing when to forget about playing keepings off it and get your meters seems to be a work in progress, but I liked that they were bringing it a bit more into the mix.

It's unreasonable to expect every player to go as hard as Jed and his like, but I look forward to him rubbing off some more on a few of our guys.

Brad Hill would look good in our midfield. We’re tough as nails but lack that gut running mid with high speed.

BT really is a squib, today was the stillest day i have seen for ages and he banged on about the breeze on the replay flat out, hes such a C*&^.

Good game, aint's supporters were leaving at 3 quarter time, i didnt realise how mouthy they were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back