DrTomSwift

Suzuki Swift
Dec 4, 2008
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Naitanui
He shushed the crowd after his third and a few of the Cockburn faithful went absolutely ape-s**t. I don't think it's a big deal, maybe Simmo just wants him to wait until he's a bit more established before being a cheeky f***er.
I think the club doesn't like if you celebrate to the crowd before the team. I remember hearing Naitanui got fined for doing the same thing.

My favourite thing is that Ryan said that Jetta told him that he’s got one quarter left to bring some magic.

Magic he certainly did bring

2 posters and that mark in the last Q. Won us a cup and could have added some winmore if his goals had stuck.

A shame the posters were a portent of the future. That bloke sure loves the woodwork!

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
The crows used to talk about the influence Betts has on the young indigenous kids over there and IMO Jetta is doing the same thing here.

Mick63

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Loving Jetts' work on and off the field. He has really settled and found his groove.

He is out of contract at the end of the year, what do you think the club will offer up? I don't think he is at risk of going elsewhere (he didn't want to leave Sydney but seems very content back in WA now).

Medically his calves seemed to have settled a bit (touch wood), but he would likely need a rest during the season in coming years. I think he provides more value than a one year deal, I would be stoked if the club offered two with a potential trigger for a third if he is still playing good footy at 32.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
The crows used to talk about the influence Betts has on the young indigenous kids over there and IMO Jetta is doing the same thing here.

Yep, he's done an amazing job, not just in relation to his own football, but in easing Rioli and Ryan's transition to senior football.

I think we probably have the best indigenous 'team within a team' west coast have ever had, centred around him, Rioli and Ryan. All three are capable of individual brilliance but they also developed into accountable, team oriented players who slot perfectly into the overall best 22 structure, and you can see them now helping Cameron take and hold his spot- that sort of stuff is just gold, it builds a long term culture that makes it way easier for indigenous kids to be successful at senior level.

It's also interesting how diverse our indigenous playing group is, I think all 5 in our 22 on the weekend are from different language groups and different parts of Australia? Balardong (Jetts) Pinjarup (Ah Chee) Wajarri/Yamatji (Ryan), Tiwi (Rioli) and Lardii (Cameron)

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It's also interesting how diverse our indigenous playing group is, I think all 5 in our 22 on the weekend are from different language groups and different parts of Australia.

You you're telling me Ryan and Rioli aren't the same person? You should let Brian Taylor know.

One thing I've noticed about Lewis Jetta is that he has an uncanny knack of knowing where the cameras are. Camera can be panning across the change rooms before the game not really focusing on anything in particular and most players will be oblivious. Not Jetta, he'll give a smile or a creepy stare or sip a cup of tea...

I think we probably have the best indigenous 'team within a team' west coast have ever had, centred around him, Rioli and Ryan.

This. We’ve had some fantastic indigenous players through our history but never a group like what we have now who have formed a real brotherhood

Jetta has taken it upon himself to be a mentor for Rioli, Ryan, Watson and Cameron and in helping them adjust to life as AFL footballers it’s also seen him become a more rounded player. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s played his best football with us since Ryan and Rioli arrived

They bring the best out in each other

Last edited:

mentalgrind

All Australian
Nov 28, 2001
bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Lewis was always coming back as soon as Goodes retired.

Goodes took him under his wing when he got to Sydney and is the reason he stayed there so long. The role he's taking with our current lot of young indigenous players has a lot of parralels with his relationship with Goodes.

Will have an important role at the club even after he retires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm rapt to see Jetta do well from an on-field perspective. Our 2015 trade & draft period was looking like a bit of a bust. OUT: pick 17 and Sinclair, IN: Redden and Jetta. Both players really struggled to have an impact in 2016/17 but ended up being parts of the 2018 flag side. Redden (not his thread) was great all last year and Jetta started to be a really important cog in the back 6/7 over the second half of the season. You want him in the side and playing good footy because he is so damaging by foot and has pace. Can easily mark the ball in space, quickly run 10m then kick 60m which is a skill many players don't have.

Off-field it's great that with a few young indigenous players on the list we have a guy like him. He's 30 years old and has been in the AFL system for a decade. Was drafted at 20 after returning to the SW from Perth for a bit, has played for two clubs and knows what it takes to be successful at this level, what it's like to live away from family etc. You can have all the player welfare officers you want but you can't buy that sort of experience when it comes to mentoring young indigenous players. For whatever reasons most of us probably can't relate to, some indigenous players struggle away from home and family and some struggle closer to home and family. I reckon there's a good chance he will stick around at WC when he retires in some capacity.

And Tom Cole has been out recently so if he gets back in or Watson plays then you have six possibly seven.

I daresay we have hit 5 a few times

The likelihood is that ah chee is back out soon and Cameron is on the fringe

It’s possible - but not likely I don’t reckon*

(* watch it happen this week)

Back