Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see us losing access to Jamara.

The complaints about the NGA's were that players like Quaynor and Thomas we're already going to get drafted before the academy's we're set up and Collingwood and North has minimal input into developing then into elite talents.

By the time Jamara is drafted the academy's will have been around for 4 years and he'll have been developed by the club since he was 14. We also have a very visible input into the development of our academy members since they play for the western Bulldogs NGA team in the vline cup (think the name might have changed now) and are coached by an employee of the western Bulldogs.

My only concern is that Jamara is boarding at Scotch for the last 2 years of his development which might reduce our involvement but I can't see the AFL setting the precedent of allowing scholarships to private schools affect NGA eligibility.

I think the most likely outcome of the review will be around what clubs have to pay for NGA prospects. Sydney really screwed the system last year and I don't think they like the look of clubs trading our their first rounders for points.
Don't know how they can control that with future pick trades so the midst likely outcome is that they scrap the points discount.

I can't see us losing access to Jamara.

The complaints about the NGA's were that players like Quaynor and Thomas we're already going to get drafted before the academy's we're set up and Collingwood and North has minimal input into developing then into elite talents.

By the time Jamara is drafted the academy's will have been around for 4 years and he'll have been developed by the club since he was 14. We also have a very visible input into the development of our academy members since they play for the western Bulldogs NGA team in the vline cup (think the name might have changed now) and are coached by an employee of the western Bulldogs.

My only concern is that Jamara is boarding at Scotch for the last 2 years of his development which might reduce our involvement but I can't see the AFL setting the precedent of allowing scholarships to private schools affect NGA eligibility.

I think the most likely outcome of the review will be around what clubs have to pay for NGA prospects. Sydney really screwed the system last year and I don't think they like the look of clubs trading our their first rounders for points.
Don't know how they can control that with future pick trades so the midst likely outcome is that they scrap the points discount.
One suggestion I've seen is to simply remove any "dibs" for the 1st round. i.e. if a player was good enough to be drafted in the first round, then any club should have access since they would have made it anyway. Of course, then you just create another debate over how much that club's development of the player helped, and whether the clubs would bother in future.

Otherwise, they can just remove the discount as you said. I've always been of the belief that a discount makes absolutely no sense for F/S and Academy picks. We've benefitted more than anyone in the last 10 years from Father Son picks, with Mitch Wallis (Pick 22) and Tom Liberatore (Pick 40) having been top-10 standard players, Lachie Hunter (Pick 49) being taken as a "third rounder" when he should have been in the first, maybe second round at the latest. Since then, the bidding system was 'fixed', but we still got Rhylee West (Pick "26" - technically Pick 21 but academy/FS before him pushed the pick backwards), a guy rated around the end of first round, for the equivalent of Pick 32.

That's a stupid amount of value for one club to receive, and I'd be filthy about it if it wasn't us reaping the benefits. Last year, Blakey, Quaynor and Thomas had no business being Academy picks when they were rated that highly. Then you had Collingwood getting Will Kelly as a father son, meaning they almost entirely traded themselves out of the draft since they knew they'd be guaranteed these top quality players. This allowed them to value-trade their picks and still be able to draft talent. On top of that, you have GWS being able to sustain an endless supply of top level talent, despite their retention issues, simply because they have a top academy pick every single year. Once again, in 2019, they will have Tom Green; a likely top 3 pick.

I just hope that any changes to the discount system only comes in AFTER we draft Ugle-Hagan ;)

Pump the Jam?
I was thinking more a musical, like ripping off Annie:

"Jamarra, Jamarra, I love ya, Jamarra,
You're only, a year away"

Is this kid Victorian? Any link to the Eagles' Ugle?

And that name... too many 'a's and consonants. For marketing purposes, maybe Jam-U, Jamuh, The Jam. Or possibly the footy world adopts the soccer convention, a-la Pele and Ronaldo, and just refers to him as 'Jamarra'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey has projected JUH as a top 10 pick for 2020.
Idiot.

He's such a clear no 1 that clubs with picks 2-9 will pass out of sheer disappointment.

In our favour?
I posted in the NGA thread:

NGA rules have been changed. SA and WA teams will get priority access to indigenous talent from their respective states (zones split between each team) that are bid on after Pick 40. Won't come into effect until 2020.

This is fantastic news for us, since it indicates that not only is the AFL only going to bring about change with a years notice, but also that no other changes are likely to occur for the 2020 draft. This means Ugle-Hagan should almost certainly be ours next year!

I posted in the NGA thread:

NGA rules have been changed. SA and WA teams will get priority access to indigenous talent from their respective states (zones split between each team) that are bid on after Pick 40. Won't come into effect until 2020.

This is fantastic news for us, since it indicates that not only is the AFL only going to bring about change with a years notice, but also that no other changes are likely to occur for the 2020 draft. This means Ugle-Hagan should almost certainly be ours next year!
I didn't think they said no other changes are likely, this may just be one of few/many.

I didn't think they said no other changes are likely, this may just be one of few/many.
They've been in discussions over these changes for a few years now - I figure it would be safe to assume they'd announce everything at once, as it would be odd to just trickle release information, especially since having multiple changes would make no sense without testing the impact and reception of each

"The Oakleigh big man continued his recent form with a bag of four goals in another impressive athletic display. Finished with 10 touches to go with his haul of four, Ugle-Hagan was outstanding for the Chargers. Also had six marks and is piecing together a couple of fine weeks in attack for Oakleigh. Did miss a very gettable set shot early that would’ve given him five for the day but slotted a goal a minute later from the exact same spot to make up for it. Played a starring last quarter, bagging two goals and threatening to bring the margin out to triple figures."

Yep, he'll fit right in.

They've been in discussions over these changes for a few years now - I figure it would be safe to assume they'd announce everything at once, as it would be odd to just trickle release information, especially since having multiple changes would make no sense without testing the impact and reception of each
It’s the afl, I won’t be confident until there’s clear guidance these are the only changes.

This is what made me think that there would be more.
"The AFL has been working on tweaks to the NGA system for close to a year, with changes expected to be detailed to clubs imminently."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back