Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Rioli has been in a form slump.

Buuuut, he kicked 2.3 against Gold Coast and adds some speed to our side. Seems like he is slowly but surely working his way out of it. Wish he was more accurate but I think that he will be fine. Besides, his favourite PF fixture is coming up in GWS at the MCG so we wouldn’t want him missing that ;)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli is in the firing line. Just not performing and with Stack, Bolton and Castagna all going well. Jack will be back most likely, so it Rioli should make way. Perhaps he should be moved up the ground onto the wing to get him back in form.

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
I know i had Egg out in my original post, but, i’d like to see him get another game.
Out - Rioli
In - Jack.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower
Yup you can’t drop Bolton let caddy fight his way in

Oct 11, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
Rioli has been in a form slump.

Buuuut, he kicked 2.3 against Gold Coast and adds some speed to our side. Seems like he is slowly but surely working his way out of it. Wish he was more accurate but I think that he will be fine. Besides, his favourite PF fixture is coming up in GWS at the MCG so we wouldn’t want him missing that ;)
Yes but Bolton is playing better than him

In fairness we looked like the harlem
Globetrotters against Gold Coast. Caddy likely to have had a day out if he played.

Want to see how Bolton goes against a couple good sides where caddy has a track record

Oct 11, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
In fairness we looked like the harlem
Globetrotters against Gold Coast. Caddy likely to have had a day out if he played.

Want to see how Bolton goes against a couple good sides where caddy has a track record
Yes but we can’t gift games- caddy has to earn it through 2s- Rioli is out of form

Yes but we can’t gift games- caddy has to earn it through 2s- Rioli is out of form

Not every single player of your best 22 is in top form at the same time. The way you play your good players into top form is in the seniors while they’re winning.

Caddy hasn’t been as damaging as last year but he’s hardly been our worst player

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Reality is, with Jack and Caddy likely to come back in, Chol and Egg will go out.

Chol has been serviceable, but reality is we can’t keep him in with Lynch and Jack - it’ll be too tall and we need to get the Jack and Lynch combination sorted before finals.

Soldo will need to take on more ruckwork.

I think Caddy showed at both Geelong and GC he's not good enough to be a pure mid. With us in 2017, he was forced to play the second tall position and he was great. It meant we didn't need to put Martin or Cotchin down in the goalsquare so often, and Caddy was an excellent match-up for us - ie too big for those guys with his speed, too fast for those guys big enough. He was a good contested mark.

However, his role was to let Jack roam around the forward line, and himself to swoop in wherever and fill the holes. as he saw fit. He wasn't a key - he was the cream on the cake. 2nd option. With Jack out, Lynch played more of a stay-at-home roler, which meant Caddy had to play more as a target (Jack's old role). That's a big ask, and so far he hasn't handled it.

He's too good to throw away permanently, but he has to accept that he's NOT a pure mid (which was one of his stated reasons for leaving Geelong - to get more time as a mid). He's a 2nd or 3rd forward option.
The other positive with Caddy is that oppo def usually only have one bloke who could handle Dusty or Caddy which can free up the other

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Caddy stands up in the big moments, pressure moments.
Kicked our first goal of the Grand Final, JR missed the first three shots.
Cads must be considered for selection.
Chol might be retained but he had the third lowest ranking in the player data.
Certainly, Egg is omitted for JR.
Anyway it's a good position to be in having players vying for spots.

Reality is, with Jack and Caddy likely to come back in, Chol and Egg will go out.

Chol has been serviceable, but reality is we can’t keep him in with Lynch and Jack - it’ll be too tall and we need to get the Jack and Lynch combination sorted before finals.

West Coast did alright with Kennedy and Darling and two Rucks.
We’ve either been playing Balta or Chol majority of the season as swing players.
It’ll be interesting to see if we keep that idea

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Oh I totally agree. I maintain that Bolton is the most talented small forward we have not including Stack and I’d be disappointed if he gets dropped.

I think Rioli can still fit in the side though. I think both of them can play

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
He must be considered for selection.

Agree.

While good in theory, you can’t just blindly reward form. We need to have one eye on what our best side looks like come finals.

Chol has been serviceable against the 2 poorest teams in the competition. He’s shown enough to justify a spot on the list as backup.

Caddy may be out of form and may not deserve a spot, but when firing he is Cleary in our best half dozen - he needs to be given an opportunity to build into some form leading into finals.

Forward line has been unsettled all year, he needs a chance to build some continuity with Jack and Lynch.

No point playing Chol on form and then leaving Caddy in the 2s come finals.

I’d much rather Caddy in the side come September.

Out: Egg, Chol
In: Jack, Caddy

Caddy to split midfield minutes with Shedda.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
He must be considered for selection.
He did - in 2017 and 2018. Not this year though.

His spot in the side would be Chol’s spot, but I think Chol offers us more right now. If that changes in 3 weeks, then I have no problem seeing him back in the side. I just want us to send him a message that we’d like to see more from him this season.

In hindsight it’s not surprising that we crushed Gold Coast the way we did after playing a mix of our best players and our most in form VFL players rather than persisting with out of form Premiership/Minor Premiership players, and I believe that this is for a reason no matter how much their value was to us in the past.

This might sound harsh, but let’s just say that our side was not craving Caddy on Saturday in my opinion. It still was craving Rance and Riewoldt, but not him. It’s on him to change that.

Either way, it’s good to have this sort of problem rather than being in a position where you want too many players dropped.

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
West Coast did alright with Kennedy and Darling and two Rucks.
We’ve either been playing Balta or Chol majority of the season as swing players.
It’ll be interesting to see if we keep that idea

True - but we’ve not played tall for a long time, goes completely against our philosophy.

It is interesting, we went very tall against Carlton round 1 by including Balta along with a pure ruck.

It’s hard to tell because we’ve had key tall players missing every week since round 2. The coaching staff wouldn’t have even known what our optimal make up would’ve looked like after round 1.

I think if we had no injuries this year, we would’ve done a fair bit of experimenting early in the year to get the balance right.

Very curious to see what we do from here given we have no margin for error.

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Caddy can earn his spot through good form in the twos. He has stunk it up since his return from injury and reckon some time in the twos to find his form will benefit him and the the team.

Yes - but has been forced to play a completely different role because our forward line has been so unsettled this year.

He has runs on the board, and needs as much time to work out how to play with Lynch and Jack in the same forward line - playing in the 2s isn’t going to help that.

We need continuity in our forward line leading into finals. Chol has been handy, but he won’t be playing in September if our list is healthy - no point wasting games on him when Caddy can be building synergy with Jack and Lynch.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
That's why I think the team is largely settled.
No more Baker, Balta, Butler, CCJ, Markov, Menadue, Naish, Ross and so on.
Baker and Ross are unlucky.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli is a very good player at his best, he’s just not at his best at the moment.

I wonder what’s up with him?

Is he just going through a form slump? Is there something personal going on? Hopefully whatever it is he can work his way through it eventually.
He took some big hits earlier in the season and I think that shook his confidence.

He is such a talent and quality bloke though that it’s just a matter of when and not if that he gets back to his best

There is no way we are dropping Chol and going into the game with no 2nd ruckman.

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
Went to the GC to watch the game for the first time. 80% Richmond supporters. Hard to see how football is going to take off there.

I usually scoff at suggestions that McIntosh be dropped, however... would it be worth trying Jack on the wing and leaving the Lynch and Chol combo up forward? If we’re struggling, Jack moves up there too. Dunno, Kamdyn would be extremely unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back