2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

"likely the only time there's been 5 50k+ crowds in one round"? I feel slighted by the lack of trust in my stat. :cry:

Seriously though it's quite understandable that we've never reached that level before, it's become impossible to get 50k into Docklands for some time, Perth Stadium is only in its second year and Adelaide Oval its 6th. It's particularly notable to do it in a week with no marquee games or public holidays.

What I do find odd is that there's only 2 instances of 4 games over 50k in a round and only 10 where there's been 3.

Both times with 4 games were last year - Rounds 1 & 20.

The first time with 3 games was Round 11, 1998.

The first time with 2 games was Round 11, 1971.

In the AFL era:

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
45K MCG Prediction for Richmond v GWS on Sunday.

Not intended mate. Trust but verify is my thing.

I normally try to verify the figures before i post to twitter. I didnt have the time.

It's all good, I'm just amusing myself. (as usual) :D

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
45K MCG Prediction for Richmond v GWS on Sunday.

Best comparison - Round 11 2015, Collingwood vs GWS, MCG, 1:10pm Sunday - 43,390

Both teams were 7-3 coming in and in the finals hunt, however not realistic premiership contenders. Perfect, sunny day, kids in for free. Great crowd.

If it doesn't rain I cant see why this game couldnt get 45k+

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Good?

It would be a record crowd for GWS playing in Melbourne in a non final would it not?

That would be an incredible crowd
I'm all for giving it to Pies fans but can we wait until we actually get the great crowd first before we start gloating.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Good?

It would be a record crowd for GWS playing in Melbourne in a non final would it not?

That would be an incredible crowd
Yes a record but a record that was waiting to be broken tbh. We have a top 4 Giants ish playing a surging Richmond at home on the MCG at the business end of the season. On reflection, it should draw 45,000 ish. In exactly the same circumstances you’d expect Collingwood and Essendon to draw similarly.

I think this is a reflection of a late season pre finals dress rehearsal. For the record I actually think the Tigers will win by plenty!!

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Totals

Pies/Hawks - FTA 694k, Fox 215k, Total 909k
Bombers/Swans - FTA 52k (syd only, no regionals), Fox 154k, Total 206k
Suns/Tigers - FTA 28k (bris only, no regionals), Fox 60k, Total 88k
Crows/Power - FTA 170k (adl only), Fox 180k, Total 350k

Dogs/Cats - FTA 331k (no perth, no separate regionals), Fox 154k, Total 485k
Eagles/Dockers - FTA 235k (perth only, no separate regionals), Fox 71k, Total 306k
Combined regionals - 198k.

Blues/Dees - no FTA, Fox 159k
Roos/Saints - 197k (Mel/Per/Adl only, no regionals), Fox 71k, Total 268k
Giants/Lions - FTA 45k (Syd/Bris only no regionals), Fox 144k, Total 189k

And even then do you guys have to give it to Pies fans?

Some supporters (from all sorts of clubs, including my own) exist only to wank over their own clubs successes, make excuses for their failures and do vice versa for other clubs.

I’m proud of my own club’s overall record vis-a-vis crowds but I’m sincere when I say I love big crowds when they happen for every team, and want them to occur all the time. This week is no exception - I think it would be great to get 45k or more and I hope it happens. This is hard for some people to comprehend.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Yes a record but a record that was waiting to be broken tbh. We have a top 4 Giants ish playing a surging Richmond at home on the MCG at the business end of the season. On reflection, it should draw 45,000 ish. In exactly the same circumstances you’d expect Collingwood and Essendon to draw similarly.

I think this is a reflection of a late season pre finals dress rehearsal. For the record I actually think the Tigers will win by plenty!!

RIGHTEO

Lol

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Not reported ratings from the weekend

Bombers/Swans - 52,000 (Syd only, 7 main channel)
Suns/Tigers - 28,000 (Bris only, 7 main channel)
Kangaroos/Saints - 31,000 (Perth figure for some reason not reported elsewhere, 7 main channel)

VFL - Roos/Zebras - 33,000
SANFL - Bulldogs/Roosters - 20,000
WAFL - Tigers/Sharks - 40,000
I think the dead zone 11.50am time slot would be effecting the VFL numbers on 7.

Indeed, I think Blues fans are coming out in droves because after the tedium of the past couple of seasons their side is playing exciting football again.

As of this week Carlton have passed their 2018 home attendance total with 4 games still left to go.

In other words, games against Richmond, Sydney, North, Collingwood, Brisbane, Bulldogs & Melbourne have been enough to beat the 11 home games they had last year.

8 of last year's home crowds were lower than their lowest home crowd so far this year, which is a very respectable 32k.

*Grits teeth* Well done, Carlton.

Back