Review Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, Bad & Very Fugly // Rd 16, 2019

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
- a win is a win is a win
- holding on with one man left on the bench
- pretty even contribution
- Nic Newman really got us going in the first, well played.

Bad:
- Same old stuff: easy to score against, handball happy, blokes getting caught holding the ball, set shot choking, fundamental skill errors under little pressure and few moments of instinctive play.
- we barely beat Carlton sans Cripps and C Curnow

Fugly
- injuries
- this season
- the fact that was probably our last win of the season

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
The one with setters late is touch and go but if he marks it first grab like he should it’s a non issue. Late in the game players should win games with skill not umpiring decisions.

Accurate comment. And worth remembering for us next time we get fingered by the umps late in a game that we should have already won. Don't leave it in their hands.

Meanwhile, I f'ing love Preuss. He should slap in a trade request and go to a club where he can be a #1 ruckman.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That was both very brave and very bad. Only just got home and watched. A few observations:

Jones has found touch behind the ball. Looks like he's found the pace of the game again and his kicking is good again.

Petracca had a great game, played to his strengths again.

Oliver had some huge moments. Haven't seen the stats, but I assume he touched it more than I remember. Fought hard.

Hibberd's effort against Setterfield late.

Frost's marking was really good, reckon he had a better game than May.

Hannan is still well out of touch.

TMac was amazing, could have had eight in three quarters and probably would have if he'd stayed on.

Viney, Brayshaw both cracked in.

ANB needs to do the fundamentals better.

Petty took some great marks, but got murdered twice by Jack Silvagni in two minutes.

Dunkley looks clever.

Lockhart was a bit down.

Hunt had a few poor efforts, but stood up when it counted and kicked three. Would love to see him back himself in every time he marks I50 unless there's a gimme goal for someone else on offer.

Hore :(

Preuss was bloody impressive. In what world is Tim Smith worth a game above Preuss?

Weideman was so so bad. Wish he could get it together.

Weid is even more of a run and jump player than Hogan was for us and even more useless when he is stuck with planted feet. I'd challenge any supporter to tell me what makes him an obviously better prospect as a top 10 pick than Mitchell Lewis who was pick 78 or some s**t.

Darhkuan

Senior List
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Accurate comment. And worth remembering for us next time we get fingered by the umps late in a game that we should have already won. Don't leave it in their hands.

Meanwhile, I f'ing love Preuss. He should slap in a trade request and go to a club where he can be a #1 ruckman.

I'm a huge wrap on Preuss as well, but he really can't be the #1 ruckman. He simply doesn't have the tank to run out 4 qtrs.
Was at the game and he was gassed from mid 3rd onwards. Even in the first half was having huge rotations.

Absolutely in the best 22 though. Would love to see him in the side with Gawn every week.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm a huge wrap on Preuss as well, but he really can't be the #1 ruckman. He simply doesn't have the tank to run out 4 qtrs.
Was at the game and he was gassed from mid 3rd onwards. Even in the first half was having huge rotations.

Absolutely in the best 22 though. Would love to see him in the side with Gawn every week.
One sure way to build the tank, play him. Gawn should be on ice for the rest of the season. Speaking of tanks, ours needs to be rolled out.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Reckon Hannan was a bit lucky we won today. Maybe he didn't see Brayshaw to the side when he got that bounce but to have a ping from 60m with 3 on 1 in our favour and nothing but space ahead was pretty ballsy. Thought he would've held it up a bit then popped a ball over the top for an easy mark to Bray to milk the clock. But easier said from my perspective 6 hrs later on the couch than in the moment.
Good: Oliver lowering the eyes to Hunt when the long dump was most expected at that time in the game. That's quality composure.

To Hannans defence, by that stage there was 32-33 mins on the game clock he probably half expected the siren to go any second.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good .. We didn't kick 2-19
Bad .. We should of had this game well and truly locked up by 3/4 time . The last 60 sec of that game was a perfect summary.
Ugly .. More injuries . I can imagine trying to pick a team for Casey is like the Old days when we(suburban league) would have to drive around Sat morning rounding up players in the hope we could field a team.

On a side note interesting to see the players huddled together just after the match , before my feed cut out , wonder what Goodwin said . In the circumstances it was good we found a way to be in front when the siren went.

Was at the game. I'm 2/2 this year! Albeit, horrendous quality games (vs Hawthorn the other time).
Good:
- McDonald.
- Frost and May were good down back. Hibberd too was pretty solid.
- Hunt had some faceslappingly bad moments, but did win us the game and was overall good.
- Jones and Lewis were solid. Midfield generally was good. Preuss played well

Bad:
- goalkicking. Missing some nuffie set shots

Ugly:
- Related to above we absolutely nuffed some chances where we had a 2/3 v 1/2 and just no one had the guts to take a shot. Need to be greedier at times.
- Casboult and Silvagni made us look silly at times.
- Umpiring was verrrrrrrrrrry ordinary. We were gifted plenty in the 1st 3 quarters and then the ledger was squared in the last.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
To Hannans defence, by that stage there was 32-33 mins on the game clock he probably half expected the siren to go any second.

Even more reason to stitch the remaining seconds on the clock up, then.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Even more reason to stitch the remaining seconds on the clock up, then.

It is very easy in hindsight to say what he should of done, but the pressure of an AFL game in dying moments people do things under pressure they wouldn't normally do. After taking the long kick, best result would of been the ball bouncing through for a goal, after that it bouncing out of bounds. In an ideal scenario he finds a target and we soak up the remaining seconds, considering the stage of the game he didn't do completely the wrong thing.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It is very easy in hindsight to say what he should of done, but the pressure of an AFL game in dying moments people do things under pressure they wouldn't normally do. After taking the long kick, best result would of been the ball bouncing through for a goal, after that it bouncing out of bounds. In an ideal scenario he finds a target and we soak up the remaining seconds, considering the stage of the game he didn't do completely the wrong thing.

Yes pressure is a factor, but every player on the ground knew the score. Like when a football player takes a hero shot at goal on instead of dribbling for the corner flag in the last couple of minutes of a game when they're up by a goal, its not the pressure getting to them, its just a poor decision. He gave the ball back to the other team when we were a goal up. Like a lot of other things the players do, they need to play smarter rather than be forgiven for doing dumb things.

Yes pressure is a factor, but every player on the ground knew the score. Like when a football player takes a hero shot at goal on instead of dribbling for the corner flag in the last couple of minutes of a game when they're up by a goal, its not the pressure getting to them, its just a poor decision. He gave the ball back to the other team when we were a goal up. Like a lot of other things the players do, they need to play smarter rather than be forgiven for doing dumb things.
I think clearing it by foot was the right move but going for goal was not. Real smart play even if you can’t see Brayshaw is clearly free is to try for a ball up further up the ground by trying to kick it 30-40m, so the ball remains in content.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think clearing it by foot was the right move but going for goal was not. Real smart play even if you can’t see Brayshaw is clearly free is to try for a ball up further up the ground by trying to kick it 30-40m, so the ball remains in content.

Even better would have been putting the ball behind a pay wall. No self-respecting Carlton player or fan has time for that sort of thing.

Even better would have been putting the ball behind a pay wall. No self-respecting Carlton player or fan has time for that sort of thing.
Occasionally you get a good print+online subscription deal but they usually only last 3 months or so and then it’s back to the usual rate.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
fu** that noise, if we lost to Carlton I'd want it as rusty as fu**

And for it to stop working half or a quarter of the way down as we yet again comprehensively fail to finish someone off, yet again? A metaphorical Demons guillotine would be great. We could talk about the journey after failing to do the job. Neat-o.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
And for it to stop working half or a quarter of the way down as we yet again comprehensively fail to finish someone off, yet again? A metaphorical Demons guillotine would be great. We could talk about the journey after failing to do the job. Neat-o.
Yeah and right next to it would be the Geelong one which cost half as much but was twice as effective

Back