• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree.

While good in theory, you can’t just blindly reward form. We need to have one eye on what our best side looks like come finals.

Chol has been serviceable against the 2 poorest teams in the competition. He’s shown enough to justify a spot on the list as backup.

Caddy may be out of form and may not deserve a spot, but when firing he is Cleary in our best half dozen - he needs to be given an opportunity to build into some form leading into finals.

Forward line has been unsettled all year, he needs a chance to build some continuity with Jack and Lynch.

No point playing Chol on form and then leaving Caddy in the 2s come finals.

I’d much rather Caddy in the side come September.

Out: Egg, Chol
In: Jack, Caddy

Caddy to split midfield minutes with Shedda.

Couldn't agree more with this. Caddy is absolutely vital for us and have finals experience. When in form, he provides a strong body in the forward line and kicks a few goals when we need them. It's harsh on Chol with him playing well..but I would feel more comfortable with Caddy in the side come September.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Look don’t want to burst your bubble, but if your percentage is not over 100 in the granny you won’t win it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got me there.Too good.
Bowled Shane!
DishonestBoringConure-max-1mb.gif

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man Utd
I think a lot of people here are still stuck in 2017 and that game plan. It's done folks! This is 2019, our coaching staff are building a different plan which require a few talls. I see Jack, Lynch Chol/balta & Soldo/Nank in the same team for the remainder of the season & finals.......We have plenty of small fwds and with the addition of stack, short & houli have plenty of run from halfback. In the end, our injury toll earlier in the season may decide where we finish but regardless i'm very excited for 2020....!!

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Reality is, with Jack and Caddy likely to come back in, Chol and Egg will go out.

Chol has been serviceable, but reality is we can’t keep him in with Lynch and Jack - it’ll be too tall and we need to get the Jack and Lynch combination sorted before finals.

Soldo will need to take on more ruckwork.
That may be seem so, but what do you propose as a second ruck. Caddy, Jack, Lynch. We will have to somehow work this out, and right now Chol is going quite well. Perhaps Jack has to slightly modify his game into that of a third tall, at least until he finds form. ie Not fly for so many marks.

I'm shocked to see so many suggestions of dropping Chol or Bolton.

Bolton was close to BoG and adds another dimension to our team

Chol is our back up ruck who can play forward or back. Who is going to ruck if he isnt playing? Lynch or Jack are no chance.

I think it will just be Egg out for Riewoldt.

Harsh on Egg and I hope we can still structure up to leave Edward's in the middle more.

Like James Hird shocked? Or just normal shocked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Stark

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
That's why I think the team is largely settled.
No more Baker, Balta, Butler, CCJ, Markov, Menadue, Naish, Ross and so on.
Baker and Ross are unlucky.
Given the season so far in relation to injuries I certainly wouldn't count out seeing these guys again before seasons end. Am I more confident that when they do come in they will get the job done, absolutely, injuries definitely have a silver lining and we now have more experienced cover should players go down.

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
That may be seem so, but what do you propose as a second ruck. Caddy, Jack, Lynch. We will have to somehow work this out, and right now Chol is going quite well. Perhaps Jack has to slightly modify his game into that of a third tall, at least until he finds form. ie Not fly for so many marks.

I dare say we’ll be experimenting with different combinations the next few weeks.

It would’ve happened earlier in the year if it weren’t for injuries. I doubt the coaching staff are settled on what they believe our best mix of talls is.

Maybe we play 2 pure ruckman and rejig the forwardline to fit a resting ruckman.

Maybe 1st and 2nd tuck split time onfield and bench, which means midfielders have to take more minutes and rest forward as opposed to the bench (I.e Cotchin, Martin, Shedda to rest forward).

Maybe we persist with 1 pure ruckman because we’ve already added an extra tall to our 2017 and 2018 mix in Lynch. KPF/KPDs to pinch hit in F50 and D50 to give the sole pure ruckman a chop out.

There’s different alternatives - I just struggle to see us playing 2 pure ruckman with Jack and Lynch in the forward line.

We did toy with Nankervis playing primarily forward in JLT - but it seems like a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation to play Nankervis out of his best position purely to fit a back up ruckman into the side.

Went to the GC to watch the game for the first time. 80% Richmond supporters. Hard to see how football is going to take off there.

All codes have struggled there. Staggering the AFL thought it’d be different for them

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
There is no way we are dropping Chol and going into the game with no 2nd ruckman.
Will be interesting once Nank returns.Obviously Soldo goes out.
What we do with Chol.
Lynch/Jack & Chol up fwd i don't think will work.
Nank & Chol off the bench is a waste.
Perhaps we use Chol down back on the bigger mobile talls that give Astbury some grief.
Use him as the 3rd man up role.
We can then rest Nank on the bench and Chol can go into the ruck.

Stitch

All Australian
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli's role like all the other smalls is to apply pressure to opposition D50 ball movement and create turnovers. We need at least 3 playing so if we drop Rioli it would mean Higgins/Butler/Baker would have to come in, and most would agree Rioli has more upside than those 3. The only selection issue is Caddy vs Chol. Caddy has Chol covered in most areas but can't play ruck. With Soldo we need a second ruck, with Nank we just need any player that can jump over a tin of paint to chop in. Chol's kicked 5 goals in his last 3 games vs Caddy's 5 goals from his last 6 games. So Chol is in form and deserves the nod over Caddy until Nank is fit. Although there's definitely a role for Chol down back. Good selection headache to be in for once.
There is no way we are dropping Chol and going into the game with no 2nd ruckman.
Agreed, Soldo's average TOG is about 10% less than Nank's.
vs GC: 70%
vs Saints: 54%
vs Cats: 83%
vs North: 77%
vs Hawks: 79%
Either we've been resting him more in anticipation for this week's game or he simply doesn't have the tank. We still need Chol/Balta.

Jun 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Went to the GC to watch the game for the first time. 80% Richmond supporters. Hard to see how football is going to take off there.

It wont

which makes the afls decision to not put a team in tasmania even more bizare

atleast it would be a team on life support in an AFL state, rather than a team on life support the people who live their couldnt give 2 shits about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
What we do with Chol.
Perhaps we use Chol down back on the bigger mobile talls that give Astbury some grief.

Chol doesn’t fit. Played ok against a poor side in St Kilda and a training run up on the GC.

Barring injury, he won’t be in the side come September - either due to form, or structure.

We’ve already added Lynch - we lose too much defensive pressure having another tall.

I think wehere it’ll land will be Nankervis taking on a big ruck load, and getting some pinch hitting from talls in F50 and D50.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack for Ellis...

Nank, Pickett, Rance in when ready..

Chol doesn’t fit. Played ok against a poor side in St Kilda and a training run up on the GC.

Barring injury, he won’t be in the side come September - either due to form, or structure.

We’ve already added Lynch - we lose too much defensive pressure having another tall.

I think wehere it’ll land will be Nankervis taking on a big ruck load, and getting some pinch hitting from talls in F50 and D50.

Chol is a good chance beating Soldo, staying in the side

What we do with Chol.

I think we have to find a way to keep Chol in.

Look at the other teams in the top 8 from a Ruck perspective.

Geelong: Stanley / Blicavs
West Coast: Nic Nat / Hickey
Pies: Grundy / Cox
GWS: They are probably smaller than us currently..
Crows: O'Brien / Jenkins

We simply can't afford to go into games against these sides with only 1 ruckman and using a very undersized 2nd ruck. we will get smashed.

with 6-6-6 now in play we don't have the ability to set up numbers behind the ball to counter the quick clearance and with how good those teams forward lines are we can't just give them first use of the ball when Nank isn't on the ground.

thats all good and well but what about the centre bounce when Nank is off?

just going to give teams free run to do whatever they want and expose our backline?

no thanks!

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I think we have to find a way to keep Chol in.

Look at the other teams in the top 8 from a Ruck perspective.

Geelong: Stanley / Blicavs
West Coast: Nic Nat / Hickey
Pies: Grundy / Cox
GWS: They are probably smaller than us currently..
Crows: O'Brien / Jenkins

We simply can't afford to go into games against these sides with only 1 ruckman and using a very undersized 2nd ruck. we will get smashed.

with 6-6-6 now in play we don't have the ability to set up numbers behind the ball to counter the quick clearance and with how good those teams forward lines are we can't just give them first use of the ball when Nank isn't on the ground.

Chol on the bench isnt "a waste"

he is a very good forward option, chases, is fast athletic can help in the ruck etc.

need to find a way to fit Chol (or Balta) in the team imo

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack for Ellis...

Nank, Pickett, Rance in when ready..

Chol is a good chance beating Soldo, staying in the side

True - he may stay in over Soldo as he gives more around the ground. I just struggle to see us fitting 2 pure ruckman in the side along with Jack and Lynch.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Nank is going to need a serious chop out until he regains fitness. We can't just run him into the ground. Even when fit he still needs help, he is not that good that he can ruck all game. Chol is quite dynamic in the centre bounces so we will not lose much by having him rucking when Nank rests. We can easily rotate the rucks off the bench with Chol also giving Jack and Lynch a breather.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
True - he may stay in over Soldo as he gives more around the ground. I just struggle to see us fitting 2 pure ruckman in the side along with Jack and Lynch.

Is chol a pure ruckman?

he runs and tackles almost as good as a mid when he is fwd/ruck

he is a bit of a hybrid, Balta type. Very nice foil for Nanker (And Lynch, Jack) imo

peterand

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Reality is, with Jack and Caddy likely to come back in, Chol and Egg will go out.

Chol has been serviceable, but reality is we can’t keep him in with Lynch and Jack - it’ll be too tall and we need to get the Jack and Lynch combination sorted before finals.

Soldo will need to take on more ruckwork.
No disagree we need the extra tall the game has changed big time since 2017 we have enough smalls Bolton Stack Castagna Lambert Prestia Short we cant be a team of short people one of these will have to make way or perhaps either Ellis or Houli depends on match ups

Caddy is an interesting one
Like many have mentioned he’s not as good forward as our big guys, not quick enough to play small and hasn’t set the world on fire in the middle

In saying that I still think he has a place in the team just due to his flexibility can play either end of the ground if needed and also in the middle somewhat
But certainly dosent have the upside of a lot of our younger blokes
Team selection is going to be very interesting over the next few weeks

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Don't think we can afford not to have Chol in as the 2nd ruck.As Michaels has mentioned.Eagles do it.

peterand

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think a lot of people here are still stuck in 2017 and that game plan. It's done folks! This is 2019, our coaching staff are building a different plan which require a few talls. I see Jack, Lynch Chol/balta & Soldo/Nank in the same team for the remainder of the season & finals.......We have plenty of small fwds and with the addition of stack, short & houli have plenty of run from halfback. In the end, our injury toll earlier in the season may decide where we finish but regardless i'm very excited for 2020....!!
Spot on Mr Prodigy I could not agree more in fact if fit and playing well I would also include Balta as a wing man he has the leg speed and also gives us another marking wingman like Kamydn
Obviously need to assess who we r playing and weather conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back