Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a greater irrelevancy in sport than billy brownless?

Occasionally he comes out with some decent insight. Typecasting and the expectation of being a buffoon weigh him down. He seems a gentle, kind soul which is needed more than ever in this day and age.

Interesting little tidbit in the Doc radio interview.

Mentions that JSOS had put plenty of time into planning to combat Fyfe during the week leading into the game. Wasn't just an "Uh-oh, Fyfe is doing some damage, who can we throw on him" moment for the coaches, they'd actually identified JSOS as the one and had him work with Ed during the week, going over footage and strategies for curbing Fyfe's influence.

For those lauding Teague's ability to think on the fly, I think this is a really pertinent point. Seems to me it's not flexibility or quick-thinking or creativity, per se, it's thorough planning for likely changes that might need to be made. Good to see.
I don't think we can say whether or not similar things were done during the week under Bolton. But we definitely wouldn't have heard about it.
Teague also seems to give us a bit more info in his pressers. I'm liking that the club is a little more open atm and not so secretive about selection and gameplan.

Bloody hell Thy...are you OK mate? You have been a black cloud on a dark night, in the depths of a Murmansk winter since the final siren.

Everyone get their old man shakes fist at cloud GIF ready...
I hate Murmansk.......

Some interesting figures here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-03/running-amok-your-clubs-speed-machines-and-endurance-beasts

Average distance per game:
1. Sam Walsh: 15.50km
2. Michael Gibbons: 14.87km
3. Matthew Lobbe: 14.56km

Highest total distance in one game:
1. Ed Curnow: 17.06km v Hawthorn, round six
2. Michael Gibbons: 16.93km v Port Adelaide, round two
3. Sam Walsh: 16.63km v Western Bulldogs, round 13

Top speeds:
1. Mitch McGovern: 34.16km/h v Hawthorn, round six
2. Lochie O'Brien: 34.03km/h v Western Bulldogs, round five
3. David Cuningham: 33.77km/h v Richmond, round one

I'm a bit shocked to see that Mitch McGovern is our fastest player o_O:think:

1) Sam Walsh averages 4th most ground covered across the AFL. Incredible.

2) McGovern is our fastest player? Are they sure the 's' in fastest isn't a typo?

3) we are an impressive running team in 2019. Together with suggestions that many of our players have slimmed down this year.... It appears we have transformed from one of the least fit to most fit teams. Russell seems to have worked wonders in just 1 off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2) McGovern is our fastest player? Are they sure the 's' in fastest isn't a typo?

3) we are an impressive running team in 2019. Together with suggestions that many of our players have slimmed down this year.... It appears we have transformed from one of the least fit to most fit teams. Russell seems to have worked wonders in just 1 off season.
Mcgov is fast, hes just horrendously out of shape so we only see it once a game

What I find impressive about Walshes numbers is that his highest is 16.6 km, but his average is at 15.5 km. Meaning there's no outlier game artificially boosting his average. Walsh is putting up 15-16km every week, not just some weeks.

the afl has always felt the need to have these clowns as part of the show - all the way back to jack, bob and lou - hawkins, crawford, fevola...........why?

Because footy is predominantly played over a weekend, they need filler for the other 4 or so days to keep it relevant and in the media spotlight …

Pretty soon you will have an Americanised system where people pay paparazzi to follow afl's bad boys for a midweek gossip scoop.

All of this after the clubs worst ever season, and during a season where we look to be finishing 2nd last at best and sacked the coach.. Credit where credit is due, this administration a doing something right.
No coincidence that our new CEO was responsible for Richmond's strong membership numbers. Great work Carlton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back