Who should coach Freo in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

From someone who lives overseas, what is the mood like in Perth for a change of coach?

It's still Sunday and I guess we'll see what kind of headlines the West will publish tomorrow (NN aside), but is there pressure coming from the media?

Is this just a few online fans venting, or do you think it will actually amount to something?

For mine, I think Caracella is a good pick. I think the board will stick with Lyon until mid next year though, barring a change of fortunes for the better or much worse.

All this talk and hopefulness and we will probably resign Lyon or get Sumich in. Caracalla is the pick for mine btw.
Sign sumich and we’ve gone backwards. That path is done, Sumich left. Let’s move on. I hope. Hopefully you’re right . Caracalla is a good get. Solomon had coaching experience. But feel he’s underwhelming. Ross is a tough coach to replace

From someone who lives overseas, what is the mood like in Perth for a change of coach?

It's still Sunday and I guess we'll see what kind of headlines the West will publish tomorrow (NN aside), but is there pressure coming from the media?

Is this just a few online fans venting, or do you think it will actually amount to something?

For mine, I think Caracella is a good pick. I think the board will stick with Lyon until mid next year though, barring a change of fortunes for the better or much worse.
Knowing us, we will sign Lyon for another 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a change of coach is signing the club up for another three years of middling.

It would be done as a means of selling hope
Ross is done, either 2019, 2020, 2021, regardless change is inevitable. I would like a smooth transition, controlled
burn than a Drum, Harvey Fix.

Sign sumich and we’ve gone backwards. That path is done, Sumich left. Let’s move on. I hope. Hopefully you’re right . Caracalla is a good get. Solomon had coaching experience. But feel he’s underwhelming. Ross is a tough coach to replace
Rhyce Shaw voted the best assistant coach for the last two years. If the fools at Norf go for Horse Longmire he should be a big target. Even offer him stupid money to come over as an assistant with the knowledge that Ross's contract will not be extended.

David Teague also doing well, has had more wins in 3 weeks than Bolton did in 18 months. Like what Carelcella's done and Ratten so there are many assistants out there that would do a great job. I see us in a similar situation to when Chris Scott went to Geelong.

Woosh is interesting, would make a better CEO for us unless Nisbett retires and he gets nabbed.

I think a change of coach is signing the club up for another three years of middling.
Change doesn't mean improvement.
Posts like these make me think you're paid by the club in their media dept Taylor! :rolleyes:

Teague has had the freedom to play the mature bodies in the prime roles again. Go watch early season Carlton and see how their young players are having big games in prime positions but the team is losing, Bolton is fired and mature players are back and the team has some wins.

A new coach at Freo means dropping the young players, playing the mature bodies and grinding out 64-55 wins.

Posts like these make me think you're paid by the club in their media dept Taylor! :rolleyes:

I've seen enough rebuilds derailed by a change of direction half way through, adding another few years of pain. Players leave and make better teams even better and widen the gap.

I understand that something different might seen attractive but it can get a lot worse.

Plus common sense commenting shouldn't be something you expect from the club if you don't rate their inner workings.

Just so you know the Peter Bell initiative has been all about looking like we are making changes, buying up mature players, new era Freo etc. It's all designed to get supporters on board. I think we are more inclined to double down and sell the farm so we can lose an elimination final next season than commit to burning more years in a rebuild.

For the record, Freo won the first 3 derbies when both Lyon and Simpson were coaching ... when Freo were the better team.
Since then, West Coast/Simpson have won the next 9 ... when the Eagles have been ranked the better team.

Likewise with Hawthorn/Clarkson vs Fremantle/Lyon. They have played 10 times and Hawthorn have won 9 of them, but they were ranked the better team in all of those years (2012 onwards). And from 2007-2011, when Lyon coached St Kilda & Clarkson coached Hawthorn, they had 7 Games, 3wins, 1draw, 3losses with St Kilda being ranked the better team for just 2 of those games.

These sort of statistics are not unusual. If Fremantle (or Lyon coached teams) were regularly finishing above an opposition coach and still losing, then that would be supporting data to criticise system/game plan.
The first 3 were when Simpson was new to the club and resetting the team that had become a joke. As for being
a better team, maybe with a better system (I.e not bombing long into a forward line with Gov and Barass, not leaving
oppo loose players in dangerous positions around the stoppage, trying to get the ball off them before it gets into the forward 50 rather than allowing them to chip their way unmolested , from back to forward., putting a lot of our best mids back. while wearing out our elite mids and leaving our best small. backs in the wafl) and a better philosophy (I.e skills don't matter you just need to bring great effort, the team who tries hardest will win......).. Simpson and Clarko go about things in a similar way and even when we have a good team we struggle to counter it, in the AFL
or Wafl. The new rules make it even more true and it will only get worse with the AFL looking to bring in more anti congestion rules.
Ross doesn't seem like the type to change his philosophy's on anything , so as far as I'm concerned he either proves that his systems and ideas can work
in a sustainable fashion or we move on with someone else with different ideas that looks a little less like little league. A couple of years at the.top of the ladder, give or take (with a ready made mature squad at his disposal) followed by donuts doesn't constitute success to me or the many ordinary Freo supporters I speak to. But it seems a few Freo supporters don't believe our administration are capable of finding a good replacement coach, so they want us to hold onto Ross forever. Even though the club probably really needs a good freshening up right now.

I agree 100%. Ask Saint Kilda how it has worked out.

We don't need to sell hope, our list is the hope. We are improving each year under Ross.

I would resign Ross for another 2 years with a guarantee of 5 if we make the finals in 2020 and 2021.

The first 3 were when Simpson was new to the club and resetting the team that had become a joke. As for being
a better team, maybe with a better system (I.e not bombing long into a forward line with Gov and Barass, not leaving
oppo loose players in dangerous positions around the stoppage, trying to get the ball off them before it gets into the forward 50 rather than allowing them to chip their way unmolested , from back to forward., putting a lot of our best mids back. while wearing out our elite mids and leaving our best small. backs in the wafl) and a better philosophy (I.e skills don't matter you just need to bring great effort, the team who tries hardest will win......).. Simpson and Clarko go about things in a similar way and even when we have a good team we struggle to counter it, in the AFL
or Wafl. The new rules make it even more true and it will only get worse with the AFL looking to bring in more anti congestion rules.
Ross doesn't seem like the type to change his philosophy's on anything , so as far as I'm concerned he either proves that his systems and ideas can work
in a sustainable fashion or we move on with someone else with different ideas that looks a little less like little league. A couple of years at the.top of the ladder, give or take (with a ready made mature squad at his disposal) followed by donuts doesn't constitute success to me or the many ordinary Freo supporters I speak to. But it seems a few Freo supporters don't believe our administration are capable of finding a good replacement coach, so they want us to hold onto Ross forever. Even though the club probably really needs a good freshening up right now.

This reads like a 12 year old WCE supporter wrote it.

If you look at our successes this year, we actually look better when the game isn't congested (believe it or not).

The teams we have beaten above us on the ladder (collingwood and GWS) like to play a more open game. Our new system actually thrives on this. Its the teams that make the game congested and shut us down that have actually been troubling us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back