Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 18 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think we can afford not to have Chol in as the 2nd ruck.As Michaels has mentioned.Eagles do it.

WCE have a good balance of bigs/smalls

Richmonds has been pretty unbalanced in that regard since the Grigg-in-the-ruck planning started going downhill.

Looks better recently with a proper 2nd ruck option (Chol, Balta, CCJ, Soldo) and the fleet of short people

I think a lot of people here are still stuck in 2017 and that game plan. It's done folks! This is 2019, our coaching staff are building a different plan which require a few talls. I see Jack, Lynch Chol/balta & Soldo/Nank in the same team for the remainder of the season & finals.......We have plenty of small fwds and with the addition of stack, short & houli have plenty of run from halfback. In the end, our injury toll earlier in the season may decide where we finish but regardless i'm very excited for 2020....!!
You nailed it. History has shown that no winning premiership side in the entire history of the VFL / AFL has ever saddled up again as the same team in any home and away game or final. The 2017 game plan wilted by 2/3 through last season as the game in which history has again shown continues to evolve and change . Why would the RFC recruit Tom Lynch if they wanted to be stuck in 2017 mode as he totally contradicts that style of game?
I agree people need to move on from 2017 as it’s done and served its purpose and isn’t winning us anything anymore.

Silly- forward for a mid?
Well, that is too simplistic. Jack comes into the forward zone and pushes one of our smalls who can play midfield time in the centre.....Whoever drops out will be unlucky. Personally, I wouldn't drop a tall because they have a very tall forward line.

Mondo bizarro. I don't quite believe what I'm thinking but I can actually see a case for not changing the composition of our side against GCS for the upcoming match against GWS. The onfield synergy was about the best I can recall from our group since the 2017 GF. But the reality is that you can't keep Jack R out of the team even if he is only 90% fit. I suspect the match committee's final decision will be shaped by the way Kelly and Coniglio come up during the week. Only one change for me mainly to minimise changing the group's shape. That is Jack R in and Egg (unfortunately) out. Stack can drop back to cover Egg's role while Jack moves into the forward area vacated by Stack. I honestly can't see a spot for Caddy at the moment.

Mondo bizarro. I don't quite believe what I'm thinking but I can actually see a case for not changing the composition of our side against GCS for the upcoming match against GWS. The onfield synergy was about the best I can recall from our group since the 2017 GF. But the reality is that you can't keep Jack R out of the team even if he is only 90% fit. I suspect the match committee's final decision will be shaped by the way Kelly and Coniglio come up during the week. Only one change for me mainly to minimise changing the group's shape. That is Jack R in and Egg (unfortunately) out. Stack can drop back to cover Egg's role while Jack moves into the forward area vacated by Stack. I honestly can't see a spot for Caddy at the moment.

Stack looks brilliant forward

id think bout leaving him there

We can't afford to go without a back-up ruck as we don't have the luxury of a generational intercept/lockdown FB in Rance anymore to support our midfield. We don't get a lot of clearances as it is and against a genuine flag fancy with A-A+ midfields like Collingwood, Geelong, West Coast we will suffer when Nank has a rest. Must play Chol when Jack comes back. Honestly, what's wrong with dumping one of our three KPF's down the line and the remaining two in the F50? Means we'll more likely than not create ground-level chaos post-contest in the forward line if we don't mark it. Also removes the real risk of intercept mark-rebounds from the opponent, if our kicking inside 50 is average at the least.

I don't get the no-Chol argument as we clearly cannot risk Lynch or Jack with PCL issues in the ruck and we are always exposed when we go without a genuine back-up ruck in the last two seasons. Yes he may not play blinders but as you'll remember Griffo and Ty, as back-up CHF or the third tall, gave us about 6 or 7 in total over the course of their careers. Chol's given us one in his third game and this year averages 1-and-a-bit goals. He'll be a better contributor even with a reduced fwd 50 role with Jack back in.

I think we should really focus on how Caddy fits. Do we drop Rioli, play him permanent fwd and lose some of our forward pressure? Is he more of a midfielder now? With Bolton and Stack playing midfield minutes Caddy can sort of slot in to that midfield rotation but it's one helluva squeeze.

Stack looks brilliant forward

id think bout leaving him there

Agreed but then who of Rioli, Bolton or George do you drop. Stack was brilliant back too so moving him to accommodate Jack's return seems to be the least disruptive of the possible changes. Egg has been given a taste of AFL and came through it well. Though it was against the bottom placed team in the competition. I think GSW will put more pressure on our defenders than Gold Coast did so Stack's composure will be needed there on the day.

Look our one wood will always be pressure and our smalls ability to repeat sprint more than any other side(long may it continue), but as has already been mentioned you need to evolve. I dont call it a complete change, more a refining of our gamestyle.

We just seem a better balanced side with a genuine 2nd ruck/fwd in Chol/Balta (Chol definitely ahead atm).
Even when Balta was playing before Chol with considerably less impact, I felt that Caddy was going to struggle to be in our side as the season progressed given hes not at his best. Backing up Soldo/Nank with a genuine 2nd ruck/fwd instead of a grigg type is the way fwd.

Bringing in Jack for a midfielder/small will if anything make our fwd line more dangerous and dynamic. Opposition talls will now have to worry about 2 genuine strong marking talls plus Chol - this will stretch defences and create more 1 on 1's.

Well, that is too simplistic. Jack comes into the forward zone and pushes one of our smalls who can play midfield time in the centre.....Whoever drops out will be unlucky. Personally, I wouldn't drop a tall because they have a very tall forward line.

Have a feeling we'll be seeing Bolton and Stack interchanging between fwd and midfield. Dimma has openly said they want to run Stack through the midfield sooner rather than later to see what he can offer us there

the team looked more balanced on the weekend, because we played an average team and Edwards and stack played more centre- forward. Edwards was our top goal assist player last year and stack looks to be similar, using his skill to find opportunities inside forward 50. some of his vision and then skill to complete the pass was 1st class. another thing with stack, his opponent was trying to be glued to him at times and definitely wasn't leaving him to help his fellow defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Egg for Jack, Soldo for Nank when he's ready.
Caddy can re-earn his spot.
Edwards to stay midfield, what a gun.
The problem with that is Egg was good down back - I thought he played better than Graham. You are also bringing in a forward for a backman and that will unbalance the team. With your scenario, Edwards goes back to cover Egg.

Have a feeling we'll be seeing Bolton and Stack interchanging between fwd and midfield. Dimma has openly said they want to run Stack through the midfield sooner rather than later to see what he can offer us there
Dimma told us the only thing holding Stack back from more of a midfield role is his tank.

Stack kicked four goals two games ago and was effective in the fwd line again

c: Botlon - Cotchin/Martin - Edwards/Mcintosh
hf: Lambert - Jack - Rioli
f: Stack - Lynch - George

bench: Chol

Dimma told us the only thing holding Stack back from more of a midfield role is his tank.

recently or a while back?

Stack jives very well with Lynch, Bolton, Rioli and co. up forward - goals, goal assists, tackles, marks etc.

Dimma might want to leave him there now

I have greatly enjoyed reading the discussion over the last few pages in regards to team selection and balance going forward. Some great insightful posting.

I am of the thinking that we can't go in with one ruckman too. Whether it is Soldo now or Nank later. We can downplay Chol's impact against lower ranked sides but he has shown the attributes to continue to grow and contribute. His ability to drop in the hole late against the Saints and take contested marks greatly impressed me. He hasn't been able to hold on to everything and our forward line was a bit weird on Saturday when he and Lynch where both flying for the same ball, but I just think we lose to much flexibility if he (or Balta) is out. I would like him to stay in the team.

Often when we have antagonized over a selection, someone pulls up sore or they manage someone and the hard decision has been taken away.

What I do love is our mix regardless of who is 'best 22' right now. I absolutely loved Egg's game. Reminded me of Stacky down back to be honest. He didn't go hard enough in his first contest when Weller kicked GC's first, but then just clicked into composure. He took on two defenders and split the middle at some point in the second half and I thought that was really special. Yes against the worst side in the comp but nice to see and his kicking and decision making was first class. I thought Baker was really good for us in the first half of the season and I think he was squeezed out because they couldn't drop Stacky after what he was bringing to the table when we brought Short back in. I see Baker had a blinder in the 2's. Our player development right now makes me incredibly happy.

Our group of 'borderline' players has been managed really well I think this year. I felt that when we made those 7 changes after the bye, all those boys going back wouldn't be flat, they would be excited to get to play together again after getting a great taste at the top level. And they know if they play at a consistently high level in the VFL and a like for like has a quiet couple of weeks they will be rewarded and then it is their spot to lose.

Spot on Mr Prodigy I could not agree more in fact if fit and playing well I would also include Balta as a wing man he has the leg speed and also gives us another marking wingman like Kamydn
Obviously need to assess who we r playing and weather conditions
af98c-this.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back