Game Day Rnd 16: Derby 50 - West Coast vs Fremantle

Sep 1, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Freo supporters were leaving at half time ...passion .
Yep they were gone 10 min into the 3rd and we were left with the 36k west coasters cheering on our boys

Attachments

• 20190706_204043.jpg
    20190706_204043.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 228
Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Yep, having 5 indigenous boys out there tonight, can’t harm our chances of luring Kelly.

Get Jetta involved in the negotiations.

Long term NN should be kept, around the club, for drafting and such things, who would say no to the big fella?
I think that is already in place with the NicNat Academy

Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
You make some good points and options here.
I personally think that Freo would be much better off moving Lyon on now rather than at seasons end.
With other teams shedding their main coach and maybe a couple to come its going to be very competitive for quality candidates.
So no time like the present if you are in the race for a new coach.
You also mentioned Sumich. I know it may be controversial but he might just consider the role vacated by Rawlings at WC.
Sumich is very experienced, a 2x Premiership Eagle and knows the U18 as well as anyone in the land.
It was Sumich who pleaded for a team to take on Stack last year and he called that one right.
It's just a thought. Would be interested on other opinions.
Mate i was going to post thd same suggestion in regards to the list manager role

I think Pav is reasonably complementary but it comes across as though the teeth are somewhat gritted as it occurs.

I find it's more the apologism for Freo that shows where his heart lies. Hasleby is much the same on 6PR. These guys tend to make excuses or arguments for extenuating circumstances when they really should be laying the boot in a bit.

Freo have a lot of talent on their list. If Bell gets carte blanche to run a broom through the place this off season who knows. I'd be gunning for someone like Rhyce Shaw who is showing his wares at North. Fresh ideas, dynamism and ambition from a young coach. Clear out the decades of dead wood from the back rooms. Surely they could generate some buy in and reinvigorate the place.

A strong Freo is good for us. It helps us if they knock off interstate contenders when they venture to Perth. Little bro needs to pull his weight.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Pav is reasonably complementary but it comes across as though the teeth are somewhat gritted as it occurs.

I find it's more the apologism for Freo that shows where his heart lies. Hasleby is much the same on 6PR. These guys tend to make excuses or arguments for extenuating circumstances when they really should be laying the boot in a bit.

Freo have a lot of talent on their list. If Bell gets carte blanche to run a broom through the place this off season who knows. I'd be gunning for someone like Rhyce Shaw who is showing his wares at North. Fresh ideas, dynamism and ambition from a young coach. Clear out the decades of dead wood from the back rooms. Surely they could generate some buy in and reinvigorate the place.

A strong Freo is good for us. It helps us if they knock off interstate contenders when they venture to Perth. Little bro needs to pull his weight.
Suma. He deserves a gig. Hope he gets it eventually.

Suma. He deserves a gig. Hope he gets it eventually.

Love Suma and think he is very under rated as a coach. I think he is the kind of guy who would be getting a lot of satisfaction out of the results and opportunities for the squad the U18's program is generating.

I just wonder whether Freo might get more response from a coach from a different age bracket to Lyon. Suma is the same vintage.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You make some good points and options here.
I personally think that Freo would be much better off moving Lyon on now rather than at seasons end.
With other teams shedding their main coach and maybe a couple to come its going to be very competitive for quality candidates.
So no time like the present if you are in the race for a new coach.
You also mentioned Sumich. I know it may be controversial but he might just consider the role vacated by Rawlings at WC.
Sumich is very experienced, a 2x Premiership Eagle and knows the U18 as well as anyone in the land.
It was Sumich who pleaded for a team to take on Stack last year and he called that one right.
It's just a thought. Would be interested on other opinions.
Would Sumo in any way be perceived as a threat to Simpson, in Rawlings role? While it would be great to have his nous on board, the Freo coach job could almost be seen as his destiny-not that a lot of Freo fans support that notion. But yes, that 5 yr deal for Ross?? What undercurrents went on there? But agree, he should get shunted on asap! Not only good for Freo, good for WA footy!

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Been a lot of complaints post-derby, about Eagles supporters bad behaviour during and after the game, talkback radio (not always a grounded discussion or medium) and on Freo board. The usual 'arrogance' is rolled out, along with abusive language on public transport etc. The Harry Highpants episode also perceived as arrogance and disrespect towards Freo. (I didn't see it like that, I thought it was just a 'guys prank' amongst themselves?).
We bang on about arrogance here, including myself, but it's tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking, ironic. Are the Eagles in danger again of being perceived as arrogant and hated by the general footy world and media, as we near the finals? I think Simmo does a good job of hosing this down.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Been a lot of complaints post-derby, about Eagles supporters bad behaviour during and after the game, talkback radio (not always a grounded discussion or medium) and on Freo board. The usual 'arrogance' is rolled out, along with abusive language on public transport etc. The Harry Highpants episode also perceived as arrogance and disrespect towards Freo. (I didn't see it like that, I thought it was just a 'guys prank' amongst themselves?).
We bang on about arrogance here, including myself, but it's tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking, ironic. Are the Eagles in danger again of being perceived as arrogant and hated by the general footy world and media, as we near the finals? I think Simmo does a good job of hosing this down.

Gov and TB pulled up their pants after pulling down Freos pants.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
IDGAF. Freo suck. Premiers 2018 wooo

They do indeed, but they also still have multiple jabronies making their 22 every week, and that is always going to make winning difficult.

18 teams, salary caps. Every side has jabronies "role players" in the 22.

It's just that RTB coaches like that under 12's coach desperately trying to vicariously win that flag - by trying as much as possible to not let the weaker kids touch the footy and make sure they stay out of the gun players way.

If your bottom 6 or 7 players buy into their role and feel like they are an integral part of what is driving the team success you start to play some high standard footy.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Freo can't dish up an inept performance like that in Derby 50 - a home game at that - and expect any form of respect. They were pathetic.
I'm not one of the majority who hates them as a club or anything like that, I don't troll their board or look to stir up drama, but it is such typical Freo behaviour to have an obvious problem in-house and respond to it by lashing out at anyone who points it out.

Anyone who is fair dinkum about getting better at something would own up to their failing and start fixing it rather than worrying about what someone else is saying.

Brer Bear

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Classic case of sour grapes and deflection.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
The same respect freo supporters showed their own team by flooding out the gates so early?

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
18 teams, salary caps. Every side has jabronies "role players" in the 22.

It's just that RTB coaches like that under 12's coach desperately trying to vicariously win that flag - by trying as much as possible to not let the weaker kids touch the footy and make sure they stay out of the gun players way.

If your bottom 6 or 7 players buy into their role and feel like they are an integral part of what is driving the team success you start to play some high standard footy.
My grandfather always said a team is only as good as the bottom 5 players. The good teams never have a weak link. All it takes for a player to be good, if nothing else, is a determination to run hard and make a contest.

I won the coveted Auskick coach of the year award in 2012 for the mighty Whitford's Jaguar's under 8's team (hear us roar) and I made those smelly little turds run so hard they cried for their mums every tuesday and thursday night.

I was sacked as coach the following year.

Back