Review Round 16 vs Adelaide - The Showdown Win!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the replay and I remembered cringing and shouting at the tele at Dwayne Russell's rambling diatribe at the 22:50 mark of Q4, so I wrote it down:

"You got to take 'em any way you can get them in this state. All of the momentum, winning 8 of the last 10 Showdowns. Adelaide Crows the number one team in this state by any AFL measurement you can really like to go by, most fans, most members, the most power in the state, the most success, two flags to Port's one, most financial, but they wont have the most score today and Port Adelaide are in just as good a spot as Adelaide going into the last third of the season, and have a crack at another flag."

For God's sake, I don't even understand his point. Is this how we are perceived now, the poor little suburban club that occasionally dares to ruffle the hair of the big boys? I long for the day when the promises that were made when we entered into the AFL are realized. The promise of a ruthless, determined, single minded drive to win. I hope this is the start.
Its Dwayne's hyperbolic crap way of saying Adelaide have all the advantages, but today proves they are s**t and aren't in the mix for anything in the last third of the year whereas Port are. But he doesn't have the guts to say they are s**t and finished for 2019 and has to invent this crap.

He's shown a bit of mongrel in the sanfl. He, Austin and Frampton showed quite a bit in their first year. Was awesome to watch. When one of them got in a tussle the other two joined in. So Howard has had it in him and probably we'll see more of it as he begins to believe more and more that he belongs in the afl. I just hope that when he shows more of it that he doesn't get that inspiring talk from the same guy that spoke to Butters.
Pestwise i think Butters is tracking fine.

Did we kick the last 9 or 10 goals of the match?
After Walker kicked that goal and point early in the 3rd quarter the score was 6.2 to 5.12. Then Slyce steps up kicks his goal and the final score was 15.11 to 5.14 so we kicked the last 9 goals.

Yes but we kicked the last 9 of the game. After Walker kicked that goal and point early in the 3rd quarter the score was 6.2 to 5.12. Then Slyce steps up kicks his goal and the final score was 15.11 to 5.14 so we kicked the last 9 goals.

I was in such a frenzy of delight that I had lost count … I want more … more!

I enjoyed when he took that great mark and smacked his elbow into Jake Kelly as he ran past. Dwayne didn't like it though, and made much of it.

Pity Dwayne made no such mention when Walker did exactly the same to Hartlett down the other end early in the third.
In his playing days Dwayne wasn’t averse in throwing his weight around. I had an old video of him ripping Clayton Lamb’s Westies guernsey to shreds. He was really fired up. Port at that time were being coached by Ebert and Westies had Jack Cahill as their coach. Jack had come back to Adelaide after coaching Collingwood for a time and the Port job was already taken up, so he took the Westies job.

It is no fluke that the top 5 sides have kicked the most goals, have the best I50 goal conversion and score conversion percentages, despite their different levels of I50's.

View attachment 705535

So a key determinant of success is not so much the ability to generate i50s, but the ability to convert i50s to goals. We're supreme at the former but lousy at the latter.
It also shows how much harder we'd be to stop if we could get that "goal %" rate (where we're the 3rd worst in the comp behind Dees & Suns) up to 23-24%. And why the ball use of our midfield is such a critical factor.
Makes a lot of sense.

Just spoke to a Port mate about Saturday night, and he says to me, "I tried to watch the Crows highlights from the weekend, but unfortunately it was a blank tape." 😅

Your mate is quite the wag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is the day after!! love that Sam Gray went all year 6 lunch time and sold candy to that smug campaigner on the mark. Absolute highlight.
And the day after - for some reason, very few people at work were keen to talk about football this morning. Imagine next Monday if the Suns somehow knock them off.

I know that there's not a lot of love for him on this board but I thoroughly enjoyed Jason Dunstall's commentary of the game. He seemed to analyse key plays quite well and explains them in a way where he doesn't come off as an arrogant know-it-all while being easy to follow. His knowledge of the game and how it unfolds is fantastic and he rarely seems to be biased. Doesn't rip into players either, even when Doogs threw out an elbow at Kelly he chuckled and said something along the lines of "nothing in it really". Coupled with Riewoldt they seemed to make a really nice expert commentary duo.

I know that there's not a lot of love for him on this board but I thoroughly enjoyed Jason Dunstall's commentary of the game. He seemed to analyse key plays quite well and explains them in a way where he doesn't come off as an arrogant know-it-all while being easy to follow. His knowledge of the game and how it unfolds is fantastic and he rarely seems to be biased. Doesn't rip into players either, even when Doogs threw out an elbow at Kelly he chuckled and said something along the lines of "nothing in it really". Coupled with Riewoldt they seemed to make a really nice expert commentary duo.

If you ignore “the bounce” Dunstall is one of the best going around.

After Walker kicked that goal and point early in the 3rd quarter the score was 6.2 to 5.12. Then Slyce steps up kicks his goal and the final score was 15.11 to 5.14 so we kicked the last 9 goals.

9 goals and 9 points

We missed a lot of easy shots in the last qtr

Should have really slaughtered them

Hahaha Scotty Lycett

Either Matt Crouch was on the end of long memories or there was a deliberate mission to target him all night. There was a moment at a stoppage in the third where just over the back shoulder of the field umpire, SPP goes directly at him and drops him with a tucked elbow, simultaneously clearing space for he and Robbie.

Crouch got up and bleated to the ump like a bullied child.

Was refreshing to see us go at these frauds for the first time in far too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back