Autopsy vs St Kilda // Rd 16, 2019

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Catching up with the replay today - had forgotten about the Carlisle free goal, just as funny today.

I do remember getting out of the gameday thread - some posters go to water as soon as the opposition is able to do anything. Not many games where you can do what you like for the whole four quarters.

So much to enjoy in this game, Goldy, Taz, Joy, Souv, Zurhaar, and I’ll just add how hard Mason Wood is working.

Richmond is right up there. When I was working there they had a 'rebel' cheer squad called The Grog Squad. Used to stand at M1/M2 behind the goals on Punt Rd end. Bunch of animals.

When was that? There is a guy up here who used to be in the Richmond cheer squad for a while. His name was fred (well it wasn't but that will do) but everyone knew him as MAD fred.

He and a mate went hunting once. They drove along Summerland way. Stopped by the side of the road at some random bush and headed off thru the scrub with a couple of rifles and a *en carton!!! Definitely an animal and not really a good one. Forgot to mention he was in the Grog Squad as well, he told me its name and said the other supporters were soft.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
So much to enjoy in this game, Goldy, Taz, Joy, Souv, Zurhaar, and I’ll just add how hard Mason Wood is working.
I've been a staunch critic of Mason, mainly because I just don't think he's worked hard enough. Yes, continuity has been important, but attitude, more than anything was the thing I've been concerned about.

But, if it's true that one of the inner scrots types implied, that he was given a very clear message in this regard, he's beginning to respond, particularly in his work off the ball. His imitation Jed tackle was a beauty - it was as if someone had said 'See, if he can do it, imagine what you could do, with your physique?' I thought his desire to come back on after getting the cork was symbolic too.

Zurhaar two big bags for the year is very nice. Still think Larkey has barely scraped the surface of what he can become though. Give him another couple of years and he looks like a type that could really get hold of teams and kick some big bags.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
That game was fixtured at the right time. We'd beaten 2 fancies in the last 4 games and hung with a high quality opponent before faltering.

Seeing how we handled being the hunted aka the favourite was was always going to be interesting. Certainly a role we've typically struggled with in the past few years.

Our game against Carlton last year was typical of how our blistering starts often turned out. Blow out to a big lead, watch it get pegged back and then fight it out eventually losing or falling over the line. So to come off the script against a St Kilda side that absolutely took it up to us physically for 3/4 was a very positive result.

The main concern out of the game for mine was still not capitalising on domination of possession and forward entries enough. We were 47 at half-time, without much refinement we could've been 60+.

I really hope our board will do the best for the club. I don't care if we have a gentleman's agreement with Longmire; if Shaw comes out with at least 2 quality wins from the next 4 get it done and burn a bridge with Horse.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Zurhaar two big bags for the year is very nice. Still think Larkey has barely scraped the surface of what he can become though. Give him another couple of years and he looks like a type that could really get hold of teams and kick some big bags.

This might be bias, but I see bugger all difference between Nick Larkey and Tom Lynch. Same height, same skills, same attributes, just a few kgs in it.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Larkey 5, Zurhaar 5, Brown 3

Shades of Longmire, McAdam and Carey in ‘93. :thumbsu:

5+ goals in a game by NMFC Players 2000-
Saverio Rocca 12
Drew Petrie 11
Lindsay Thomas 10
Nathan Thompson 9
Ben Brown 9

Wayne Carey 7
Corey McKernan 4
David King 4

Byron Pickett 3
Shannon Grant 3
Corey Jones 3
Aaron Edwards 3
Jarrad Waite 3

Digby Morrell 2
David Hale 2
Todd Goldstein 2
Jack Ziebell 2
Cameron Zurhaar 2
Nick Larkey 1
Brent Harvey 1
Craig Sholl 1
Leigh Harding 1
Leigh Brown 1
Eddie Sansbury 1
Lachie Hansen 1
Matt Campbell 1
Majak Daw 1
Aaron Black 1

Last 10 games with two 5+ goal scorers for NMFC
Round 19, 1995 - North 110 d Richmond 100 - Carey 5, Allison 5
Qualifying Final, 1995 - North 114 d Richmond 84 - Carey 5, Longmire 5
Round 17, 1996 - North 183 d Melbourne 70 - Carey 11, McKernan 5
Round 15, 1998 - North 145 d St.Kilda 79 - Carey 6, Abraham 5
Round 17, 1998 - North 152 d Melbourne 87 - Carey 8, Grant 5
Round 19, 1999 - North 133 d Port Adelaide 126 - Kingsley 6, Sholl 5
Round 11, 2001 - North 154 d Fremantle 68 - McKernan 5, Pickett 5
Round 15, 2001 - North 154 d West Coast 110 - Pickett 6, Rocca 6, Carey 5
Round 3, 2016 - North 136 d Melbourne 131 - Harvey 6, Goldstein 5
Round 16, 2019 - North 112 d St.Kilda 73 - Zurhaar 5, Larkey 5

Last 10 games with Top 3 goals scorers for NMFC with 13+ between them
Round 19, 2000 - North 124 d Geelong 85 - McKernan 8, Carey 3, King 2
Round 15, 2001 - North 154 d West Coast 110 - Pickett 6, Rocca 6, Carey 5

Round 17, 2001 - Brisbane 136 d North 115 - Rocca 6, McKernan 4, Carey 3
Round 11, 2004 - North 154 d Richmond 70 - Rocca 8, Harding 3, King/McKernan/Motlop 2
Round 2, 2008 - North 127 d Richmond 86 - Jones 7, Grant 4, Campbell 3
Round 16, 2012 - North 149 d Carlton 96 - Petrie 7, Hansen 4, Harper 3
Round 10, 2013 - North 133 d St.Kilda 65 - Black 5, Harvey 4, Petrie 4
Round 3, 2016 - North 136 d Melbourne 131 - Harvey 6, Goldstein 5, Waite 4

Round 17, 2018 - Sydney 104 d North 98 - Ziebell 5, Daw 4, Brown 4
Round 16, 2019 - North 112 d St.Kilda 73 - Zurhaar 5, Larkey 5, Brown 3

Last edited:

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just had a look at the gameday thread .......

View attachment 705466
Stipp reading ededpeppp
I've been a staunch critic of Mason, mainly because I just don't think he's worked hard enough. Yes, continuity has been important, but attitude, more than anything was the thing I've been concerned about.

But, if it's true that one of the inner scrots types implied, that he was given a very clear message in this regard, he's beginning to respond, particularly in his work off the ball. His imitation Jed tackle was a beauty - it was as if someone had said 'See, if he can do it, imagine what you could do, with your physique?' I thought his desire to come back on after getting the cork was symbolic too.
Also right at the end of the collingwood game when he took that huge fall and bounced his head off the ground, he was very dazed but refused to leave the field for the last. Was a good moment in a great game and raised my respect

Coaches votes

Screenshot_20190708-162539_Chrome.jpg

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When was that? There is a guy up here who used to be in the Richmond cheer squad for a while. His name was fred (well it wasn't but that will do) but everyone knew him as MAD fred.

He and a mate went hunting once. They drove along Summerland way. Stopped by the side of the road at some random bush and headed off thru the scrub with a couple of rifles and a fu**en carton!!! Definitely an animal and not really a good one. Forgot to mention he was in the Grog Squad as well, he told me its name and said the other supporters were soft.

Early 2000s. They'd rock up blind and keep on drinking. Booted one out for urinating against the back wall at M1. Animals.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surprisingly GoDees had a group similar to The Grog Squad. Lot smaller but they used to stand behind M1/M2 for their home games. Ran by two brothers. One Saturday evening it was an all in brawl vs cops/security. Safe to say we touched them up pretty good.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Harder for longer. As predicted, the Saints responded physically after being touched up in the first but weren't able to sustain the heat. Add to that, aside from Bruce they had no avenue to goal.

I think that they too will be a side waking up farking sore for the next few days after playing us.
Props to Hunter Clarke actually, for taking that hit from JZ and coming back on. Good sign from a young player.

Back