Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I had to start all over again with this week’s preview.

I was going to say the game against the Tigers would be season-defining, but I get the sneaking suspicion that might have happened last night. The sense of expectation since the win at the Cattery has been shattered.

It was obvious Brisbane were “on” from the first bounce. Looking at the scorecard, you’d think that was where the game was lost, but in truth we were under constant pressure for four quarters and could only break even after quarter time. We didn’t kick consecutive goals until it was effectively over as a contest. Once the Lions established that twenty-point margin, it was never breached.

We struggle under sustained pressure and don’t appear to have an answer for it, which is now plain for all to see. I was surprised at the number of missed tackles and lack of second efforts. At one stage, several players were walking around with their hands on their heads. We’re really missing Callan Ward’s leadership.

It’s hard to say what we can do as far as personnel changes are concerned. There’s an obvious problem in the ruck, because Mumford, apart from all the frees he concedes, is now being managed and big Dawson is too slow around the ground. How do we solve that at this stage of the season?

As for next Sunday, well, looking at the ledger, Richmond’s wins to date have been against the Blues, Power, Swans, Demons, Dockers, Hawks, Bombers, Saints and Suns – all beneath them on the ladder. When they’ve lost, it’s been convincingly, especially to the Cats and Pies, but also to the Bulldogs, Crows…and us. We accounted for them quite easily back in Round 3 at home. But we also accounted for the Bombers back in Round 1, and look what happened in the return match on their turf…

In a strange way, we’re probably better off going into this than the Tigers, who are coming off a nice, easy win against the Suns. We’re coming off a tough game against a form team who are daring to dream. Much better preparation.

So, there might be some hope. But I fear the fat lady is only waiting for her cue…

I know Flynn is meant to be the understudy but Briggs has presence, would like to see the following players included this week

Flynn / or Briggs (Either to be used off the bench in rotation with Simpson)
Bonar (need to start using or he will want out / if not already) (Inside Mid)
Hill (Fwd Pocket)
Whitfield

Hill shouldve been used yesterday as wasted in the 2nd's when we dont have a full list and ball doesn't get down there, then ends up playing on the ball

Mumford wont play this week back for the Pies

Hopefully only Kelly is out because if Cogs is out also we are in trouble, especially when Taranto was touch n go yesterday

We will be belted.

Throw in some kids. Give Flynn or Briggs and Hill a go.

They may actually show some pride.
Make the changes. Swing the axe. Get us some speed and some effort.

Heh who are we kidding. If Leon could get Alan McConnell out there he would as he ticks all the boxes - not a recent draftee and been with the Giants for ages.

I come in peace!

Should be a really interesting game this week.

We are starting to string some wins together and get back to playing some reasonable football (albeit against lower teams) but the big thing for us has been getting some more miles into the legs of the players we have had come back in recently.

Jack Riewoldt is a good chance to come back this week as well. We haven't really had a chance to see much of Riewoldt and Lynch in the 1 forward line. If we get the ball in quick and fast it could cause some issues for you.

However your own forward line is extremley dangerous, Cameron, Himmelberg, Green all need seriously close attention. Any of them could get off the chain easily.

What are the early thoughts on Kelly and Coniglio playing this week?

For any fans wanting to have some banter feel free to pop over to our banter thread

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I come in peace!

Should be a really interesting game this week.

We are starting to string some wins together and get back to playing some reasonable football (albeit against lower teams) but the big thing for us has been getting some more miles into the legs of the players we have had come back in recently.

Jack Riewoldt is a good chance to come back this week as well. We haven't really had a chance to see much of Riewoldt and Lynch in the 1 forward line. If we get the ball in quick and fast it could cause some issues for you.

However your own forward line is extremley dangerous, Cameron, Himmelberg, Green all need seriously close attention. Any of them could get off the chain easily.

What are the early thoughts on Kelly and Coniglio playing this week?

For any fans wanting to have some banter feel free to pop over to our banter thread

We have nothing to banter with. Just be kind.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
We're becoming a real grown-up club. We have to deal with our first sacking of an in-contract coach.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I’m heading down there for this one so am hoping we put in a better effort

Simpson can’t play- there needs to be a change there. Either Mumford or Flynn need to come in

I can see Whitfield for Kelly (calf) as the obvious change

I also think maybe hill for Langdon would be a decent option although hill looked very sore getting off the field on Saturday after the twos

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
youll win by 40+
Bahahaha oh you...
tenor-4.gif

Agreed with the majority. Should play Flynn.

Think he is next in line given that he has been utilised in the ruck more at NEAFL than Briggs
I'm that tiny bit traditional - playing 18 year old rucks is a great way to break them.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Cannot play Simpson on the MCG. Richmond dont have a strong ruck so I'd be tempted to play Flynn and Briggs and drop Finlayson for a week, his efforts were disgraceful.
Agree regarding Finlayson. I actually think Daniels is on his way to being a little nugget, reliable and energetic.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
This is another big challenge not only for the players but also the coaches to see how they respond to the losses and get the season back on track
I dont see it as panic stations yet but this could be the game that shows how hard the injuries are impacting the team, Corr missing almost the whole season so far and ward in the midfield are putting a huge demand on the players those in those areas of the ground and I think it is starting to show on some
Due to Bonar not impacting the neafl games as he should for his supposed talent I cant see him making it in this season except for maybe 2 token games v lower opponents and questions will be asked due to his reported salary for next year
I can see a few changes this week Mumford, Cumming and Buntine in and the last 2 spots a bit of a raffle and with the Sunday game 26 to be named and any of thise listed below a chance IMO. Out would be Simpson, Kelly and TOJ with maybe one more depending on how the coaches see it

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Reid
Whitfield Taranto Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Perryman
Langdon HH Deledio
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Cumming Buntine Hately/Hill/Lloyd/Daniels/Flynn

Edit, Cumming unlikey as he missed the neafl on the weekend so maybe Shipley comes in to the mix

Last edited:
Agreed with the majority. Should play Flynn.

Think he is next in line given that he has been utilised in the ruck more at NEAFL than Briggs

Flynn needs to play with Simpson or Mummy, however i think Mummy will be touch n go this week

Will be better to give Simpson the game against the Tigers with Flynn then use Mummy for the Pies game against Grundy

I rate Briggs he has presence, Flynn needs that side of his game

This is another big challenge not only for the players but also the coaches to see how they respond to the losses and get the season back on track
I dont see it as panic stations yet but this could be the game that shows how hard the injuries are impacting the team, Corr missing almost the whole season so far and ward in the midfield are putting a huge demand on the players those in those areas of the ground and I think it is starting to show on some
Due to Bonar not impacting the neafl games as he should for his supposed talent I cant see him making it in this season except for maybe 2 token games v lower opponents and questions will be asked due to his reported salary for next year
I can see a few changes this week Mumford, Cumming and Buntine in and the last 2 spots a bit of a raffle and with the Sunday game 26 to be named and any of thise listed below a chance IMO. Out would be Simpson, Kelly and TOJ with maybe one more depending on how the coaches see it

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Reid
Whitfield Taranto Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Perryman
Langdon HH Deledio
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Cumming Buntine Hately/Hill/Lloyd/Daniels/Flynn

Edit, Cumming unlikey as he missed the neafl on the weekend so maybe Shipley comes in to the mix

Think this is the week Hill makes his debut

You wouldnt want to debut more then 2

Therefore Flynn, Hill, Whitfield this week at a minimum

Hopefully both Cogs and Kelly aren't out

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Think this is the week Hill makes his debut

You wouldnt want to debut more then 2

Therefore Flynn, Hill, Whitfield this week at a minimum

Hopefully both Cogs and Kelly aren't out

Looking at it I don’t think it is the right game for Flynn but I can see Buntine Mumford and Hill in for this game
Daniels May not be kicking them but he is up there for direct assists
I think Langdon needs a couple of weeks in the 2s he just seems of a little bit

Looking at it I don’t think it is the right game for Flynn but I can see Buntine Mumford and Hill in for this game
Daniels May not be kicking them but he is up there for direct assists
I think Langdon needs a couple of weeks in the 2s he just seems of a little bit

There is a high chance Mummy wont be right this week, was told on Saturday he will be back in 2, will be surprised if he plays

The report up on the 2nds is a interesting 1, i would say Buntine was gallant in defence due to all the ball coming down the Lions played a full list. However his turnovers were shocking to the standard of Shaw's turnovers of late

Langdon in our 2nds is a interesting one, our 2nd's are sometimes pointless. We dont play a full squad and its topped up and depending on who we play in the 2nds is weather he / or others need to play out of position to get the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back